Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 151617181920

Default Re: The Invasion From The South

Just for score keeping:

Trump made three EOs today, only one of which involved an emergency declaration.

1. Announced they would be funding $601M in wall construction from Treasury Forfeiture Funds, relying on 31 U.S.C. 9705.
    2. Announced they would be funding $2.5 Billion in wall construction under 10 U.S.C. 284 ($s for combating drug trafficking).
    3. Announced they would be funding $3.6 billion under 10 U.S.C. 2808. This money DOES require an emergency declaration.

The money will be spent in the above order. So effectively they will have to spend over $5 billion (including $1.3 Billion just appropriated) before any emergency money is ever tapped.

Also, per Senator Mike Lee:

My initial assessment is that what Pres. Trump announced is legal. Whether or not it should be legal is a different matter. Congress has been ceding far too much power to the exec. branch for decades. We should use this moment as an opportunity to start taking that power back.
    I by and large agree with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

as do i.

^^^^^^^^

I also agree. The powers of a President to unilaterally issue Executive Orders at a whim along with the definition of what can be included as a national emergency should be narrowed. EO's are now just a way to get around the regular lawmaking process and allows Congress to continue to do what they do now which is to stand against opposite political walls and lob crap at each other instead of working with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I'm curious as to what the junior Senator from Utah thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

I also agree. The powers of a President to unilaterally issue Executive Orders at a whim along with the definition of what can be included as a national emergency should be narrowed. EO's are now just a way to get around the regular lawmaking process and allows Congress to continue to do what they do now which is to stand against opposite political walls and lob crap at each other instead of working with each other.
    While I agree, what Trump is doing isn’t illegal and certainly isn’t precedent setting...remember this quote, right before Obama did it?

“With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that’s just not the case.” And followed that up with: “There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, to ignore those congressional mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as president.”

I’m glad we have a strong leader like trump who’s not afraid to stand up to democracy when it fails us.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And here we go...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/natio...b0bcddd40fe7e1

The rational adults in Congress (however many of them there are) against an incompetent, mentally-challenged, lying, cheating, immoral, unethical, racist, xenophobic toddler-in-a-suit's temper tantrum, wonder how it's going to turn out?
    I’ll see your huffpost and raise you a Breitbart...

Business lobbies back the federal government’s economic policy of using both legal and illegal migration to boost economic growth. But that policy also shifts enormous wealth from young employees towards older investors by flooding the market with cheap white-collar and blue-collar foreign labor.

That annual inflow of roughly one million legal immigrants — as well as the population of two million visa workers and eight million working illegal immigrants — floods the labor market. The flood spikes profits and Wall Street values by shrinking salaries for 150 million blue-collar and white-collar employees and especially wages for the four million young Americans who join the labor force each year.

The federal government’s cheap labor policy widens wealth gaps, reduces high tech investment, increases state and local tax burdens, hurts kids’ schools and college education, pushes Americans away from high-tech careers, and sidelines millions of marginalized Americans, including many who are now struggling with fentanyl addictions.

Immigration also steers investment and wealth away from towns in Heartland states because coastal investors can more easily hire and supervise the large immigrant populations who prefer to live in coastal cities. In turn, that coastal investment flow drives up coastal real estate prices and pushes poor Americans, including Latinos and blacks, out of prosperous cities such as Berkeley and Oakland.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...s-are-working/

X

Administration's continuing assault on the constitution and the American way of life and values.
    https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...506783231.html

For those that can't tell, the following is a joke. It's based off some dude running in Arizona who "has a plan":

1. Mexico builds wall on its southern border.
    2. Annex Mexico
    3. Wall on US Southern Border, paid by Mexico.
    *Boom*

Thread Information