Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1564

Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    But how will he tweet multiple times about a bogus murder conspiracy (even though the victims family tells him to stop) and then tweet celebrations about lost jobs at a news company? Yes thats right, during record unemployment the president is celebrating lost jobs. What a time to be alive.
    Let's be honest. If it was Fox News laying off tons of folks, would you be that upset?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Let's be honest. If it was Fox News laying off tons of folks, would you be that upset?
    No, I wouildnt. I dont have the disdain for cable news that most do and certabinly not the individual staffers at these places. I never pay attention to any of them anyways, so theyre kind of meh to me. This isnt about me anyways. Its the fact is the president actually tweeted cheers for lost jobs, during the highest unemployment we've ever seen. Doesnt matter if its The Atlantic, Fox News, or Jim Bobs widget factory. Its crazy. Seems like indefensible behavior. The president should be hoping for every job to stay in place right now.

Come on you are better than that. You know that this is coming from the sitting President of the United States. Are you sure you want to go for a hypothetical whadabout fox news on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No, I wouildnt. I dont have the disdain for cable news that most do and certabinly not the individual staffers at these places. I never pay attention to any of them anyways, so theyre kind of meh to me. This isnt about me anyways. Its the fact is the president actually tweeted cheers for lost jobs, during the highest unemployment we've ever seen. Doesnt matter if its The Atlantic, Fox News, or Jim Bobs widget factory. Its crazy. Seems like indefensible behavior. The president should be hoping for every job to stay in place right now.
    Every job the fake press loses, who was complicit in the fake Russia narrative, is fine by me. They chose to stop reporting news and became news creators and fairy tale story tellers.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Every job the fake press loses, who was complicit in the fake Russia narrative, is fine by me. They chose to stop reporting news and became news creators and fairy tale story tellers.
    Likewise with Trumps fake news troll Twitter account. I would lose no sleep if Twitter suspended it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Likewise with Trumps fake news troll Twitter account. I would lose no sleep if Twitter suspended it.
    They can’t. Remember the court ruling a year or 2 ago requiring him not to block followers since its public interest info. Same applies to Twit lol. I do think after election he moves to Parlor and twitter will die a slow death or have to change BOD,s. Trump has over 80,000,000 followers plus those like me not members but bookmark/read. All the Pubs would follow him to Parlor. I just think its too risky to do now with election so close.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Come on you are better than that. You know that this is coming from the sitting President of the United States. Are you sure you want to go for a hypothetical whadabout fox news on this one?
    I guess I'm not better than that. I know I wouldn't shed a tear if everyone at Breitbart was unemployed. I admit I even chuckled a bit when Gawker shut down.

Yeah, it was tacky of him to say it out loud, which isn't anything new, but it's not a feeling he's alone in. People take pleasure in a bit of schadenfreude. It's human nature.

Also the Atlantic is claiming to have a higher readership than ever, and supposedly has been on a massive upswing in paid subscriptions since last fall. The executives still have jobs, and the majority shareholder is still a billionaire. Seems to me they could have saved those jobs if they wanted to.

Regarding the Twitter thing, this seems problematic for Twitter to be doing. I mean if he breaks TOS, kick him off. But editorializing on Trump's tweets with further editorial content? Yeah, I feel like they may be opening a can they don't want opened in terms of liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Regarding the Twitter thing, this seems problematic for Twitter to be doing. I mean if he breaks TOS, kick him off. But editorializing on Trump's tweets with further editorial content? Yeah, I feel like they may be opening a can they don't want opened in terms of liability.
    I've thought the same way. Not a judgement on their actions, but I'm surprised they wanted to go down that road. They're basically claiming editorial responsibility for twitter content, something most web platforms have avoided.

I've thought the same way. Not a judgement on their actions, but I'm surprised they wanted to go down that road. They're basically claiming editorial responsibility for twitter content, something most web platforms have avoided.
    Facebook and Youtube both have factchecking on content. A lot of social media sites engage in similar factchecking, especially around controversial, political issues or outright conspiracy theories.

Keep in mind Nobody knows how anything works.

We're still in a state of national emergency from Covid.

As a result, Trump CAN force Twitter to stop holding HIM to one standard while hold the press to another.

Twitter is regulated by the FCC.

In a national state of emergency, Trump can SHUT DOWN any FCC-regulated platform.

It's the law.

Keep in mind Nobody knows how anything works.

We're still in a state of national emergency from Covid.

As a result, Trump CAN force Twitter to stop holding HIM to one standard while hold the press to another.

Twitter is regulated by the FCC.

In a national state of emergency, Trump can SHUT DOWN any FCC-regulated platform.

It's the law.
    Twitter is not regulated by the FCC, and using this spat as somehow justification for overriding First Amendment concerns would get laughed out of court.

Other than that though you're absolutely right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Expressing their own opinion as to the veracity of the most popular account on their platform is protected speech. And in so doing, they are essentially acting as a journalistic outlet. Also protected. Lots of internet constitutional scholars out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Expressing their own opinion as to the veracity of the most popular account on their platform is protected speech. And in so doing, they are essentially acting as a journalistic outlet. Also protected. Lots of internet constitutional scholars out tonight.
    Journalist are not protected from every thing they say. They can be held liable for their words. You know this though.

You are right, so many internet constitutional scholars out tonight. Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Twitter is not regulated by the FCC, and using this spat as somehow justification for overriding First Amendment concerns would get laughed out of court.

Other than that though you're absolutely right
    Yes, FCC does control them but would have to change rules section 230. Members of board are appointed by President. But remember we are in a national emergency which gives POTUS additional powers. He has not used them but has them.

If he ordered them shut down it may not last but would hurt them until it goes to court. I doubt he will, my guess is he works to amend the FCC rule 230. That will have to be thru their board of 5.

Welp:

President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on social media censorship amid rapidly intensifying political bias from the Silicon Valley Masters of the Universe.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters aboard Air Force one that the president will shortly sign the executive order, although no further details were given about what it will consist of.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/...ensorship/amp/

They’re a privately held company. I don’t know what he hopes to accomplish with this.

(Also lol at linking Breitbart).

Yes, FCC does control them but would have to change rules section 230. Members of board are appointed by President. But remember we are in a national emergency which gives POTUS additional powers. He has not used them but has them.

If he ordered them shut down it may not last but would hurt them until it goes to court. I doubt he will, my guess is he works to amend the FCC rule 230. That will have to be thru their board of 5.
    Please provide a source for the claim that the FCC “controls” them, as such a move would’ve been massive headlines if it had actually happened.

Also, changing rule 230, which protects Twitter here, would require an act of Congress. A national emergency doesn’t give Trump czar-like powers.

Trump isn’t going to shut down twitter and he’s not going to sign any executive orders that actually do anything. He’s just making noise as always. Let’s get back to the real world.

Timothy Klausutis and Joe Scarborough would seem to have solid lawsuits. No?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Trump isn’t going to shut down twitter and he’s not going to sign any executive orders that actually do anything. He’s just making noise as always. Let’s get back to the real world.
    Anything to distract from "100k"

Facebook and Youtube both have factchecking on content. A lot of social media sites engage in similar factchecking, especially around controversial, political issues or outright conspiracy theories.
    I haven't seen them take actions to this level although I might be wrong. I especially don't get on YouTube so I have no idea what their fact checking is like. I do wonder if it creates a liability for them.

Theyíre a privately held company. I donít know what he hopes to accomplish with this.

(Also lol at linking Breitbart).
    Questioning Breitbart is oft warranted...but this was an announcement at a press briefing attended by.....most of the press.

Trump's Accomplishments: 102,116 Dead Americans

Court dismisses lawsuit filed by conservatives against social media companies yesterday.

Claim That Twitter, Other Tech Giants Censor Conservative Views Dismissed By Appeals Court
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...als-court/amp/

Thread Information