Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 651
  1. #76

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I don't think we should get into the business of conflating the stock market with the performance of the economy as a whole. After all, there are a number of metrics (wage growth is one) that are indicative of a healthy economy, but are viewed by investors as negative for equities.
    The stock market is a leading indicator. It's flashing bright red.

  2. #77

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    What the left fails to understand is no leader of ours left or right has properly dealt with the unfair trade balance with China. We lost millions of jobs over decades.
    What exactly do you think the TPP that Obama negotiated, that is moving forward without us, is all about?

  3. Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    ...
    This is an accomplishmemts thread. Leftist conspiracy theories belong in other threads labeled as such.
    Nothing I posted was about any kind of conspiracy, imagined or real, or was about any kind of deflection or changing topic, yet you quoted my post as if I had...

  4. #79

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    The drop in the stock market isn't entirely a "problem" unless you haven't been in it for long. In no order, the market has dropped because of
    1. uncertainty regarding Trumps tarrifs on China,
    2. The sharply slowing economy in China as a result of Trumps tarrifs,
    3. the strong US economy resulting in
    4. "full employment "
    5. rising interest rates
    6. signs of slowing in the US economy.

    Rising rates are normal when an economy strengthens but there has been significant criticizm of the Fed for it's last hike - outside of Trump - because a standard measurement of an overheated economy, inflation, is not present. Market rates typically lead a Fed rate hike and those have not been present. The slowing of the Chinese economy signals a slowing of the US economy and there has been significant anecdotal evidence of this.

    After rising at a 4 - plus % rate which is unsustainable for a mature economy, a slowing should be completely expected. A slowing economy should not be confused with a recession, which means contraction. Writers are throwing the R word around as though it is hot economic growth or Recession - one or the other - and we are headed for recession. Recession, at this point is not in site. No one can deny there is a huge segment of the press - and the voting population who would love to see recession so Trump has nothing to brag about. The only reason for a recession right now, is if the public lises faith in the economy and stops buying.

    lf Trump were to gain an agreement with the Chinese that stopped their wholesale theft of US technology, there would be a massive, and prolonged economic boom in both countries and our stock market would explode. The Dems dhould pray this doesn't happen.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Nucor plans $1.35B steel plant in the Midwest

    John Downey
    Jan 7, 2019, 9:19am EST

    Nucor Corp. is scouting locations in the Midwest for a $1.35 billion plate-steel mill.

    Nucor (NYSE: NUE) says the plant will employ 400 and be capable of producing $1.2 million tons of steel a year. The Charlotte-based steel company expects the plant to start operating in 2022.

    With investments already announced, this puts Nucorís total construction and expansion plans at more than $3.5 billion.The company says it is looking at sites in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia.

    https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...e-midwest.html

    One of the comments by their CEO:

    ďTax reform, continued improvements to our regulatory approach and strong trade enforement are giving businesses like ours the confidence to make long-term capital investments here in the US.Ē

  6. #81

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Not shocked that Nucor is building a new plant. When 25% tariffs were put on imported steel, Nucor immediately raised their prices commensurately. So yes, they are doing well because of tariffs and us having to pay higher prices for steel now. Tax reform and regulatory environment have next to nothing to do with this new plant, its the "trade enforcement."

  7. #82

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Nucor plans $1.35B steel plant in the Midwest

    John Downey
    Jan 7, 2019, 9:19am EST

    Nucor Corp. is scouting locations in the Midwest for a $1.35 billion plate-steel mill.

    Nucor (NYSE: NUE) says the plant will employ 400 and be capable of producing $1.2 million tons of steel a year. The Charlotte-based steel company expects the plant to start operating in 2022.

    With investments already announced, this puts Nucor’s total construction and expansion plans at more than $3.5 billion.The company says it is looking at sites in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia.

    https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...e-midwest.html

    One of the comments by their CEO:

    “Tax reform, continued improvements to our regulatory approach and strong trade enforement are giving businesses like ours the confidence to make long-term capital investments here in the US.”
    400 jobs? Nice.

    Not so nice, 18,000 people laid off by GM due in no small part to Trump's trade wars and the tariffs on steel that led to those 400 jobs.

    18,000 > 400.

  8. #83

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    400 jobs? Nice.

    Not so nice, 18,000 people laid off by GM due in no small part to Trump's trade wars and the tariffs on steel that led to those 400 jobs.

    18,000 > 400.
    You left off the over 300,000 jobs added in Dec! How convenient lol

  9. #84

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    400 jobs? Nice.

    Not so nice, 18,000 people laid off by GM due in no small part to Trump's trade wars and the tariffs on steel that led to those 400 jobs.

    18,000 > 400.
    Though tariffs may have sped these layoffs, the entire auto industry is hurting. Gasoline prices are rock-bottom again so people aren’t buying sedan type cars. Even Prius sales have plummeted. Ford has eliminated nearly all sedans in favor of SUVs and pickups. Just as with traditional housing, millennials have shunned traditional car ownership in favor of public transit, Uber/Lyft, bikes, scooters and ride-sharing. The Fed raising interest rates had an impact on car sales, tax credits have rolled off electric and hybrid cars and younger people simply prefer to fly instead of drive. This is a change in demographics, not a political matter. Can only put a small amount of blame on Trump for this.

  10. #85

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    You left off the over 300,000 jobs added in Dec! How convenient lol
    so if it is just about jobs added in every sector, then you think Obama was good for the job market, as he constantly had increases in job numbers.

  11. #86

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    I hope there was improvement under Obamas admin. He was dealt an economy virtually in collapse but, as has been stated multiple times on here, President's generally have little to do with the health of the economy. Trumps tarrifs and tax cut had a direct effect economically. He has had direct influence - for better and worse.

  12. #87

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Indeed. If the economy improves under democratic leadership then obviously the democratic control had ZERO effect BUT if the economy improves under republican control well of course it is directly due to the republican influence. I mean that's just common sense.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

  13. #88

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Indeed. If the economy improves under democratic leadership then obviously the democratic control had ZERO effect BUT if the economy improves under republican control well of course it is directly due to the republican influence. I mean that's just common sense.
    If you have a comment, give some backup. Don't just whine and insinuate without reasons. Look past your nose and present information because you will find there are always reasons behind results. You seem to think I am some raving MAGA-hat wearing Trump lover. I'm just the opposite but I am going to give credit where credit is due. I'm going to criticize where criticism is due. LIke it or not, the tax cuts have had a significant positive effect on the economy. Time will tell if the economic growth can make up for the tax revenue reduction because it doesn't happen immediately.

    What did Barack Obama do, himself, personally, that had direct effect on the economy? Virtually nothing. What did George W. do, personally, that had direct effect on the economy? Well, George W. signed the democrat-written legislation that was seen as a compromise with Democrats that allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to start buying subprime mortgages. This allowed the D's to be able to say "everyone can now realize the American dream of home ownership." George W's oversight also reduced the amount of regulation and oversight of the financial industry. This combination proved lethal to the economy and nearly destroyed it.

  14. #89

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    so if it is just about jobs added in every sector, then you think Obama was good for the job market, as he constantly had increases in job numbers.
    Fair question. He was able to take over a bad economy and high unemployment (relative) and pump mega dollars into it. Alomg with that the Feb made money cheap and easy to get. So yes it got much better bit was it do with cheap money or something he did directly?

    Obama took over when about the only way ecnomy could go is up. It had already collapsed. Cheap money and huge deficits helped it along.

    Trump was told he could never get manufacturuing jobs back but has done so. He took over a low unemployment/underemployed economy. Its harder to create jobs when the rate is already low. Yet he has done so. Trump helped get rid of lots of regulation hindering business. He repatriated a lot of overseas money. Wages are starting to up. And he is fighting Fed who is increasing rates which slows economy down. He is working on redoing about every trade deal we had. But he is doing these trade deals while we are in a position of strength, upper hand.

    I really don’t give Obama a lot of credit for taking over and fixing economy. He gets some but very little. In fact Obama gave up good jobs saying they were goke forever. I do give trump credit because his actions were direct to the economy. Trade deals. Taxes. Repatriation. Regulations.

    Thing is Trump is only 2 years in. He has infrastructure in mind too but after trade is fixed first. Fix trade helps jobs, which with jobs can pay infrastructure. Trump has made business climate better whereas Obama did not.

    That won’t mesh with your view and thats fine. Obama did do some good things but I give him a lot less credit on economy.

  15. #90

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Re: George Bush.
    Totally revisionist history concerning W just going along to compromise with the Dems. He came into office with home ownership a driving policy of his.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/b...s/21admin.html

  16. #91

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Remember this news when Trump was coming in. He had impact

    Ford Cancels a $1.6 Billion Mexico Plant and Adds 700 Jobs in Michigan

    Ford Motor Co f on Tuesday scrapped a planned Mexican car factory and added 700 jobs in Michigan following criticism by Donald Trump, as the U.S. president-elect turned his attention toward rival General Motors Co with the threat of a “big border tax” over compact cars made in Mexico.

    http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/...mpression=true

  17. #92

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If you have a comment, give some backup. Don't just whine and insinuate without reasons. Look past your nose and present information because you will find there are always reasons behind results. You seem to think I am some raving MAGA-hat wearing Trump lover. I'm just the opposite but I am going to give credit where credit is due. I'm going to criticize where criticism is due. LIke it or not, the tax cuts have had a significant positive effect on the economy. Time will tell if the economic growth can make up for the tax revenue reduction because it doesn't happen immediately.

    What did Barack Obama do, himself, personally, that had direct effect on the economy? Virtually nothing. What did George W. do, personally, that had direct effect on the economy? Well, George W. signed the democrat-written legislation that was seen as a compromise with Democrats that allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to start buying subprime mortgages. This allowed the D's to be able to say "everyone can now realize the American dream of home ownership." George W's oversight also reduced the amount of regulation and oversight of the financial industry. This combination proved lethal to the economy and nearly destroyed it.
    I guess I'm just too partisan to fully understand your totally non-partisan points of views.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

  18. #93

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Re: George Bush.
    Totally revisionist history concerning W just going along to compromise with the Dems. He came into office with home ownership a driving policy of his.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/b...s/21admin.html
    Totally understandable when you rely on MSM for your opinions. However, Bush is responsible because he was President and ended up joining with Dems in forcing the relaxation of standards used by Freddie Max and Fannie Mae which had previously only purchased top quality mortgage paper. Bush was reluctant to have GSEs reduce paper quality and had put of housing legislation. A letter was sent to Bush June 28, 2004 signed by Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank that starts out stating they were the party that was continuously pushing for relaxation of GSE standarxs so lower income people could afford housing. The letter criticises the administration for being more concerned about GSE safety than affordable housingband urging the administration to support a pending bill relaxing GSE standards, among other things.
    Bush eventually supported the GSE issue in exchange for relaxed financial oversight.

    So, in a critical liberal world, the NY Times can blame it all on Bush since he eventually supported the House Democrats bill. Read Andrew Ross Sorkins book about the crisis or watch PBS Frontline and both fairly show that both parties were equally responsible, the lenders were partially responsible for making loans to people who could not afford the loans and borrowers who took mortgage practically thrown at them.

    I could also point to a family member square in the middle of the Wall Street mortgage trading who worked for 2 well known mortgage lenders no longer in existance and knows all the Wall Street participants and was involved himself. His view was the part of the crash the relaxed oversight of Wall Street allowed.

    Bottom line is the real blame can't be pinned purely on Republicans but on both oarties and the greed of Wall Street and mortgage lenders.

  19. #94

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    In June of 2004 both Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi were in the minority party. While a letter to GWB was a method to lay out their position, GOP committee chairpersons controlled the agenda. Additionally Hastert who was the Speaker would not hold a vote on legislation unless the majority of GOP reps supported it. Frank's and Pelosi's ability to sheppard this legislation through a GOP controlled House was minimal. The MSM spin is moot and irrelevant.

  20. #95

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    nm

  21. #96

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Longest Government Shutdown. That's something to put on his resume.

  22. #97

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Maybe now he's reached this milestone we can get it back open.
    Biggest shutdown ever. Longest shutdown ever. Most days of shutdown, etc.

  23. #98

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    In June of 2004 both Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi were in the minority party. While a letter to GWB was a method to lay out their position, GOP committee chairpersons controlled the agenda. Additionally Hastert who was the Speaker would not hold a vote on legislation unless the majority of GOP reps supported it. Frank's and Pelosi's ability to sheppard this legislation through a GOP controlled House was minimal. The MSM spin is moot and irrelevant.
    Since l use my phone l can't copy and paste links, but l provided you with a letter from Pelosi and Frank complaining the administrations foot dragging on passing a housing bill and explaining the D party's long-held position of easier mortgage lendi g rules. Bush W had recognized the housing bubble and the danger of easy mortgages but compromised with the Dems and supported passage of the bill.

    This letter is proof positive that both parties equally bear blame for the bust. Bush enjoyed the record home ownership and deregulation he got. Ultimately, it was a tragic mistake as l outlined above. Yes, the Dems had a significant effect per their letter. You NYTimes article shows this. There wasn't a deadlock issue so majorities weren't the problem. Bush W was in charge so bears ultimate responsibility because he eventually supported the easy money but Ds supported it and urged passage when Rs hesitated. Its ignorant and disingenuous to only blame Bush, it was government in general with potions of blame to WallbStreet, mortgage brokefs and bankers and borrowers who took on more debt than they could ever hope to pay back. lt was a perfect storm. Again reference Andrew Ross Sorkin book and PBS Frontline.

  24. #99

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Since l use my phone l can't copy and paste links, but l provided you with a letter from Pelosi and Frank complaining the administrations foot dragging on passing a housing bill and explaining the D party's long-held position of easier mortgage lendi g rules. Bush W had recognized the housing bubble and the danger of easy mortgages but compromised with the Dems and supported passage of the bill.

    This letter is proof positive that both parties equally bear blame for the bust. Bush enjoyed the record home ownership and deregulation he got. Ultimately, it was a tragic mistake as l outlined above. Yes, the Dems had a significant effect per their letter. You NYTimes article shows this. There wasn't a deadlock issue so majorities weren't the problem. Bush W was in charge so bears ultimate responsibility because he eventually supported the easy money but Ds supported it and urged passage when Rs hesitated. Its ignorant and disingenuous to only blame Bush, it was government in general with potions of blame to WallbStreet, mortgage brokefs and bankers and borrowers who took on more debt than they could ever hope to pay back. lt was a perfect storm. Again reference Andrew Ross Sorkin book and PBS Frontline.
    Yet you nary a mention of the fact that R's controlled the agenda and chairs in the HoR. The bill would have not been voted on had the controlling party not passed it out of committee and not scheduled a vote. I will blame Bush to the extent that the buck stops with the president no matter what individual one claims. I will also credit/blame the majority party at the time more so than the minority party.

  25. #100

    Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

    Turksish presidency statement:
    *erdogan spoke with trump by phone
    *erdogan told trump turkey has no problem with kurds in syria
    *discussed establishement of secure zone in north syria
    *discussed need to complete roadap on manbij
    *agreed to imrpove bilateral econ ties

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Donald Trumps Trainer
    By Tundra in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-04-2016, 04:43 PM
  2. Trumps speech on the Iowa.
    By kelroy55 in forum Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 11:07 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 03:06 PM
  4. Trumps October surprise
    By Roadhawg in forum Politics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO