Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

US Trade Deficit Shrinks As Exports To China Surge

The deficit with China decreased dramatically with imports from China fell 3.6 percent in February from the prior month while exports to the nation rose 21.6 percent.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ts-china-surge

Check out the chart in link it shows deficit going down over time compared to Obama years.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    US Trade Deficit Shrinks As Exports To China Surge

The deficit with China decreased dramatically with imports from China fell 3.6 percent in February from the prior month while exports to the nation rose 21.6 percent.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ts-china-surge

Check out the chart in link it shows deficit going down over time compared to Obama years.
    umm... unless i'm reading the chart wrong... the line being hire indicates the trade deficit being lower... as the numbers count down as it goes up... and based upon their statements that this is the lowest the trade deficet has been since June 2018 (as June 2018 is higher on the chart than everything between it and now... so this chart, based upon that understanding from the article, seems to show that the deficit has only gotten worse since Trump was elected, and the tariffs actually made it way worse initially... as that June 2018 mark (and just before) is the lowest it has been in the Trump Presidency, but that high is lower than all but a few lows during the Obama Years...

so are you showing this because it shows that the Trade Deficit was lower during the Obama years than now? or is there a different way to read these charts that i'm not understanding?

granted that is on the chart for all US trade..

and on the one specifically for US-China Trade, while it's good to see that it is getting back to a normal, we still aren't as high as the mark in March 2016 under Obama, Feb 2015 under Obama, and jan through april 2013. all this really shows is that we are back to the normal cycle after seeing a 6 year low that has been going on since June 2018... showing the worst time over the last 6 years, as been the past 6 months, and that the Trade Deficit was never as bad under the last 4 years of Obama as this period has been.

so again, guess i'm either reading this wrong, or curious why you are showing a chart that shows that someone who made the trade deficit significantly worse, has now got it back to almost normal again.

You are not reading it correctly.

Open the graph. The higher the line the higher the deficit. Then look at trend since Trump was elected.

Its not that hard to read

Open the graph. The higher the line the higher the deficit. Then look at trend since Trump was elected.

but if the higher the line the higher the deficit, then this means the deficit has been going up for the past few months, and went up from February to March... which is not what they are saying??? are you sure it's not to hard to read, because i think you are wrong

so either i'm right, and then the graph shows what the article states is happening, or you are right, and the graph does not show what the article states is happening...

again, look at how they are saying the deficit is it's lowest since June 2018, and the graph clearly shows the line being below the amount of June 2018 since then...

and yes, opening the graph once again, because i did the first time... shows the numbers on the right are negative numbers, and they count down to zero. zero meaning there is no deficit in trading...

so yes, i am right... okay gotcha... you are right... that wasn't hard to read, as i was correct in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    and yes, opening the graph once again, because i did the first time... shows the numbers on the right are negative numbers, and they count down to zero. zero meaning there is no deficit in trading...

so yes, i am right... okay gotcha... you are right... that wasn't hard to read, as i was correct in the first place
    You are right and I stand corrected. Its hard to read on iphone sometimes. It did improve and part of the extra deficit was tarrifs related. Once the trade deal is completed the gap will narrow a lot. Short term pain for long term gain.

What you have to understand is the numbers lag and were steady from election Nov 206 to Sep 2017, so same as Obama years. Then increased deficit which reflects growing economy (we bought a lot of Chinese stuff). Some of that tarrif cost is being absorbed now. Once trade deal is done our products will increase sales in China with opened markets.

Report on CNBC recently indicated the gap may widen again if they don't resolve this 737max thing soon. China postponed delivery on some. Thats how big a deal Boeing is to the economy.

This is the new US Mexico Canada Agreement. More winning:

USMCA to add $68.2B to US economy, spur 176k jobs says key independent review panel
    By Joe WilliamsPublished April 18, 2019White HouseFOXBusiness

A new trade agreement between the U.S., Mexico and Canada would add $68.2 billion to the U.S. economy and create 176,000 new jobs, according to a study from the International Trade Commission released on Thursday.

While the 0.35 percent growth to GDP and 0.12 percent increase in employment in the first six years after implementation is relatively modest growth, White House officials were more concerned with the actual release of the study, which was a necessary step before Congress can act.

"The model estimates that the agreement would likely have a positive impact on all broad industry sectors within the U.S. economy," the report says. "Manufacturing would experience the largest percentage gains in output, exports, wages, and employment, while in absolute terms, services would experience the largest gains in output and employment."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industri...t-review-panel

NAFTA 2 or USMCA is not close to being ratified. Mexico and Canada will not even introduce it until the steel and aluminum tariffs are ended. To claim this as a win would be like the Thunder claiming a title because they made the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    NAFTA 2 or USMCA is not close to being ratified. Mexico and Canada will not even introduce it until the steel and aluminum tariffs are ended. To claim this as a win would be like the Thunder claiming a title because they made the playoffs.
    Some are so hateful of Trump they will try to say anything to downplay good news.

Before it can be ratified its required this independent study be completed. Now, had it shown bad news you would be all over it. But it shows the deal is sound and positive for our country yet you don’t think thats good? If it showed loss of jobs then the deal would be DOA so its great news that it shows a massive economic impact.

I knew who would be first in line to find a negative spin before I posted it though.

Not one of the three countries that have to ratify this have. You are suffering frim premature celebration. Come back to the real world of accomplishments when this occurs. Until then there is no accomplishment. You do know what accomplishment entails, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Not one of the three countries that have to ratify this have. You are suffering frim premature celebration. Come back to the real world of accomplishments when this occurs. Until then there is no accomplishment. You do know what accomplishment entails, right?
    “The trade agreement has been negotiated by the governments of The United States, Mexico and Canada, but still must be ratified be certain groups within these governments.”

https://usmca.com/

The US required we have independent study and it came out as positive. Yet you are all negative. What gives?

So the accomplishment is Trump negotiated a deal which is better for America than NAFTA. He cannot control if it gets passed by all 3 but they have more to lose by not doing so. We are in a better economic position to wait it out and those 2 countries need a deal more than we do. The independent study proves his deal is great for America but you seem angered by it?

But to have a President who puts America first is so refreshing and is an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Report on CNBC recently indicated the gap may widen again if they don't resolve this 737max thing soon. China postponed delivery on some. Thats how big a deal Boeing is to the economy.
    Yes, Boeing what a cluster. FAA shouldn't have ever certified the 737max.
    Using software to fix a bad aerodynamic design because they wanted to slap a larger engine on a fuselage not designed for that larger engine. If a crash happens again, their going to need a bailout. Even then, after these crashes it will be hard for airlines to trust 737max again.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, Boeing what a cluster. FAA shouldn't have ever certified the 737max.
    Using software to fix a bad aerodynamic design because they wanted to slap a larger engine on a fuselage not designed for that larger engine. If a crash happens again, their going to need a bailout. Even then, after these crashes it will be hard for airlines to trust 737max again.
    Couldn't agree more. A "band-aid" job is NOT a fix. I'm one who has absolutely zero fear of flying but still try to understand those who do. With that said, I'm not sure I would want to fly on a 737 Max again.

Curious if either of you are engineers qualified to make such observations? I'm certainly not but l would have to think Boeing tested this in every possible way and did so for months and months before moving to production.

Its really a 30 year old design modified to a new size and other than these two flights there have been tens of thousands of segments flown without a hitch. I'd rather let the designers try to figure it out before making this into some sort of airline version of anti-vaxxers where people refuse to fly on a plane because of unfounded beliefs. Remember, these people have families and children, too, so l doubt any of them want to say a plane is safe and end up killing people in future crashes.

16. Default Re: Trumps Accomplishments

Another great "accomplishment" of the tariffs:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/washi...b0315683fc2855

"President Donald Trump’s tariffs on imported washing machines — imposed at the behest of Whirlpool — pumped $82 million into the U.S. Treasury. But American consumers footed the bill — and more — paying a whopping $1.5 billion in increased costs passed along to them last year, according to new research."

U.S. Economy Grew at 3.2% Rate in First Quarter

Higher exports, inventory investment helped offset slower rate of spending by consumers, businesses

By Harriet Torry and Sarah Chaney
    April 26, 2019 8:31 a.m. ET
    The stronger-than-expected growth rate was boosted by a sharp pickup in exports, which rose 3.7%, a jump in state and local government spending and higher private inventory investment. Those gains were partially offset by a slower rate of spending by consumers and businesses.

The report showed the U.S. economy defied challenges including a partial U.S. government shutdown, uncertainty over trade policy with China and slowing global growth to produce the strongest rate of growth for the January-to-March period in four years. Compared with the first quarter a year ago, the economy grew 3.2%.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-eco....co/A7gaxk1g11

“A fac*tor that boosted growth was a shrink*ing trade gap. The pace of American ex*ports con*tin*ued to rise in the first quar*ter, while the rate of im*ports fell, as Amer*i*cans cut back on purchases of for*eign goods”

Trump is winning the trade war

U.S. Economy Grew at 3.2% Rate in First Quarter

Higher exports, inventory investment helped offset slower rate of spending by consumers, businesses

By Harriet Torry and Sarah Chaney
    April 26, 2019 8:31 a.m. ET
    The stronger-than-expected growth rate was boosted by a sharp pickup in exports, which rose 3.7%, a jump in state and local government spending and higher private inventory investment. Those gains were partially offset by a slower rate of spending by consumers and businesses.

The report showed the U.S. economy defied challenges including a partial U.S. government shutdown, uncertainty over trade policy with China and slowing global growth to produce the strongest rate of growth for the January-to-March period in four years. Compared with the first quarter a year ago, the economy grew 3.2%.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-eco....co/A7gaxk1g11

“A fac*tor that boosted growth was a shrink*ing trade gap. The pace of American ex*ports con*tin*ued to rise in the first quar*ter, while the rate of im*ports fell, as Amer*i*cans cut back on purchases of for*eign goods”

Trump is winning the trade war
    again... if by winning the trade war, you mean getting it back to a point of where it was before he took office, then yes... go back and look at the graph from the other day again.

Unfortunately, the Q1 economic numbers are not as good as they appear.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/be..._theo_homepage

This is correct. I was perplexed at the strength in the numbers but this is more real. My confusion was based on the sharp stock market drop in late 2018 (a 10% change in the stock market roughly translates to a 1% change in GDP) as well as the government shutdown. Let's see what the numbers are the next 6 months but with the stock market roughly at record highs, l expect GDP numbers to remain pretty lofty.

I'm not suggesting Trump get credit, but I think this is interesting none the less...

I always tell everyone that attitude is everything. Maybe there is more to it than even I believe, and I'm pretty adamant about it.

Probably more likely that jobs just aren't getting added as fast in densely populated areas. There has been a big increase in manufacturing which generally needs space. Space is at a major premium in center city areas that tended to favor Clinton.

That's interesting, because it seems like the urban areas are seeing more population growth than the rural areas right now (this tends to pendulum though).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That's interesting, because it seems like the urban areas are seeing more population growth than the rural areas right now (this tends to pendulum though).
    Ease of movement I would figure makes this stuff really difficult to pin down. I personally drive over 40 miles to work. I know many others that make literally the same commute I do, and I'm sure this happens all over the country.

The emperor has no clothes.

Decade in the Red: Trump Tax Figures
    Show Over $1 Billion in Business Losses

By the time his master-of-the-universe memoir “Trump: The Art of the Deal” hit bookstores in 1987, Donald J. Trump was already in deep financial distress, losing tens of millions of dollars on troubled business deals, according to previously unrevealed figures from his federal income tax returns.

Mr. Trump was propelled to the presidency, in part, by a self-spun narrative of business success and of setbacks triumphantly overcome. He has attributed his first run of reversals and bankruptcies to the recession that took hold in 1990. But 10 years of tax information obtained by The New York Times paints a different, and far bleaker, picture of his deal-making abilities and financial condition.

<snip>

In fact, year after year, Mr. Trump appears to have lost more money than nearly any other individual American taxpayer, The Times found when it compared his results with detailed information the I.R.S. compiles on an annual sampling of high-income earners. His core business losses in 1990 and 1991 — more than $250 million each year — were more than double those of the nearest taxpayers in the I.R.S. information for those years.

Over all, Mr. Trump lost so much money that he was able to avoid paying income taxes for eight of the 10 years. It is not known whether the I.R.S. later required changes after audits.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mid=tw-nytimes

The one where the New York Times busts a story wide open 25 years in the making and in plane sight the entire time.

Watch at the one minute mark.

He hasn't exactly been coy about what the Times thinks they are blowing up.

This is the kind of **** I would expect to find in a tax return. In other words nothing that I didn't already know. I think Congress wants you to believe that tax returns are going to have all his account numbers from his Caymen accounts and what not. This ain't ****ing Hollywood, it's a 1040.

Thread Information