Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What we ate in '68

Default What we ate in '68

This is a great feature by the amazing Oklahoma Gazette, looking back at the dining scene back in the late 60's.

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/c...nt?oid=4748993

Default Re: What we ate in '68

Picked up the OKG Thursday at Barry's Grill on May. The cover story is excellent! We were amazed by the picture of lines coming out of an old O'Mealey's Cafeteria and learning OKC was once considered the "cafeteria capital of the world." From tons to none. So much in that article. Great stuff!

Just picked up my copy today and am looking forward to reading it. An interesting book about the same type of thing is Classic Restaurants of Oklahoma City. If you read it, be warned that you'll want to throw it against the wall a bunch of times because of really poor editing - ideas and restaurant descriptions just come and go, not tied together in any fashion whatsoever, he doesn't list addresses or specific locations a lot of times, picture captions are lacking, and just generally not-that-great writing. However, the information inside is fantastic, just hard to read through.

Just read the article and it's pretty good, some of the same stories/photos that are in the Classic Restaurants book, so if you enjoyed the article, you should definitely read the book for more in-depth information. Have a major gripe about the article, though - there's a parenthesized quote by Bob Blackburn (executive director of the OK Historical Society) where he says "Everything north of 63rd street was a dirt road". This is absolutely, categorically, totally untrue and should've been caught by the writer, copy editor or editor and either had an editor's note immediately afterwards or been excised from the article. No idea why he would say such a thing, since someone in his position would know way better than that.
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 10-19-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added the 2nd paragraph after reading the article

^

He didn't mean it literally.

Blackburn graduated from Putnam City in 1969 and knows exactly what was in place in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

He didn't mean it literally.

Blackburn graduated from Putnam City in 1969 and knows exactly what was in place in 1968.
    Then there should've been something like "he said, laughing" or an editor's note stating that he didn't mean it literally. To me, it *could've* been taken literally because there are still people out there that believe we are *still* 80 years behind the times, and would believe it. However, having been born in 1965 and living from then until I was 17 in a house on NW 67th St., I know it wasn't true, but it was still very odd to read.

Informative piece and interesting. I enjoy what the area was like before moving here in the late 70's. Good stuff.

That really was a good article. Although I didn't move here until '73 we would visit the Grandparents every summer throughout the '50s and '60s our "go-to" places included Dean's Drive In (out in Shady Nook), some Mexican restaurant on the SE corner of the I-35/NE 23 traffic circle and the 23rd Street location of Han's BBQ. Plus the Shipman's (on S. Robinson) was usually in the rotation. My granddad thought the endless biscuits were the best thing since sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    That really was a good article. Although I didn't move here until '73 we would visit the Grandparents every summer throughout the '50s and '60s our "go-to" places included Dean's Drive In (out in Shady Nook), some Mexican restaurant on the SE corner of the I-35/NE 23 traffic circle and the 23rd Street location of Han's BBQ. Plus the Shipman's (on S. Robinson) was usually in the rotation. My granddad thought the endless biscuits were the best thing since sliced bread.
    RM,
    I was raised at Shipman's. As well as Han's on 23rd (or was it 10th?). As for the Mexican restaurant, was it Zamudio's?
    C. T.

Interesting article about north okc restaurant scene.

The thread was more about where we ate than what we ate during the 1960s. I think we ate a lot less fast food and Mexican food.

Eating out was a treat then. Not an everyday occurrence. At least for my Family and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Eating out was a treat then. Not an everyday occurrence. At least for my Family and I.
    My family and everyone I knew ate out maybe once every couple of months.

Now, many eat out 3 or 4 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The thread was more about where we ate than what we ate during the 1960s. I think we ate a lot less fast food and Mexican food.
    Bunty,
    Actually we ate a lot of Mexican food growing up (I'm 75 years old) and when my wife and were dating in the mid 60's we ate Mexican and Chinese. I was never a big fast food fan. Loved barbecue, especially at the Hickory House and Han's. Mexican was El Charrito and El Patio, Chinese was the one on NW 39th near Western and Oi Linn(sp?). Oh, and another of our favorite Mexican was El Rancho Sanchez on Southwest 57th and Western.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    I was raised at Shipman's. As well as Han's on 23rd (or was it 10th?). As for the Mexican restaurant, was it Zamudio's?
    C. T.
    Han's had a small location on 23rd a few blocks east of the Capitol as well as one on the west side on either 10th or 16th. The Mexican place wasn't Zamudio's. I can't remember the name but is seems like it started with "El" . . .

I mentioned a place called El Patio but not the location. It was a small mom and pop place near Southwest 5th and Harvey. My late wife introduced me to the place. Really good food and I was stationed in the Washington, D. C. area and when we came home on leave we would eat there and buy two quarts of their salsa and take it home. You couldn't buy salsa in the Northeast in the 60's. It's hard to believe, but there were no Mexican restaurants in the area. None, period! There were no fast food Mexican restaurants anywhere.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Han's had a small location on 23rd a few blocks east of the Capitol as well as one on the west side on either 10th or 16th. The Mexican place wasn't Zamudio's. I can't remember the name but is seems like it started with "El" . . .
    RM,
    "Seems like it started with el" is a little strange since most Mexican restaurants start with "el". El Charrito, El Chico, El Patio... I could go on and on. We need a better hint.
    C. T.

Taco Bell began in the 1960s when Mexican food was almost unknown. It was so exotic that many people didn’t even know how to pronounce “taco.” Yesterday I had lunch at Oso, enjoying a Briskit Burnt Ends taco and a Baja Fish taco. Now THOSE are tacos!

RM,
    "Seems like it started with el" is a little strange since most Mexican restaurants start with "el". El Charrito, El Chico, El Patio... I could go on and on. We need a better hint.
    C. T.
    It might have been El Sombrero? Actually, it's been so long ago that I really don't remember. If you look at a Google satellite view I think it was on one of the now vacant lots on the south side of 23rd just east of I-35.

El Rancho Sanchez started out on NE 23rd just east of the circle

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Taco Bell began in the 1960s when Mexican food was almost unknown. It was so exotic that many people didn’t even know how to pronounce “taco.” Yesterday I had lunch at Oso, enjoying a Briskit Burnt Ends taco and a Baja Fish taco. Now THOSE are tacos!
    The first place I remember having mexican fast food was a place called Taco Boy that was a little south of NW 36th & May

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    I don't remember that and I loved El Rancho Sanchez on South Western so it wouldn't surprise me, you have to start somewhere.
    C. T.

The first place I remember having mexican fast food was a place called Taco Boy that was a little south of NW 36th & May
    Wow, you led a sheltered life. Taco Boy was a fast food chain (I think preceding Taco Bell) and it was much better than Taco Bell, but Taco Bell was a bigger chain and for some reason beat the heck out of them and they shut down. But we had a lot of Mexican restaurants long before there were any fast food chains in town. El Charrito was really one of the first in OKC. By the way, Taco Villa was a really high quality fast food (oxymoron?) Mexican restaurant but they lost to Taco Bell as well. Later on we had Two Peso's that was really pretty good but they didn't make it either.
    C. T.

I seem to recall a Mexican place that might have been somewhere near The Village where you would raise a little flag if you wanted something brought to your table. Was it "Pancho's"? btw: I sort of liked Taco Bell back in the day when the menu was a lot simpler. Especially the "beef burritos" and the "Enchirito." I haven't eaten at a Taco Bell in years, but the Gorditas weren't too bad the last time I did.

You probably solved the mystery. We used to go to the place as far back as when Blackhawk Amusement Park (and pool?) was still in operation on the other side of the Interstate. At the time, I don't think that my hometown--Boulder, CO--had a single Mexican restaurant. Imagine that . . . On a related note, we would always hit one of the little A&W Root Beer stands. Particularly the one that was just west of the Cowboy Hall of Fame before the highway was widened.

Wow, you led a sheltered life. Taco Boy was a fast food chain (I think preceding Taco Bell) and it was much better than Taco Bell, but Taco Bell was a bigger chain and for some reason beat the heck out of them and they shut down. But we had a lot of Mexican restaurants long before there were any fast food chains in town. El Charrito was really one of the first in OKC. By the way, Taco Villa was a really high quality fast food (oxymoron?) Mexican restaurant but they lost to Taco Bell as well. Later on we had Two Peso's that was really pretty good but they didn't make it either.
    C. T.
    Oh we hit El Charrito all the time, my parents seemed to rotate going to the three different restaurants that I knew of, Robinson, Paseo, and Broadway. I didn't really think of them as fast food though as in the taco and burrito fast food fare. I really loved Taco Boy though when I was a kid

Thread Information