Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What we ate in '68

Default Re: What we ate in '68

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I seem to recall a Mexican place that might have been somewhere near The Village where you would raise a little flag if you wanted something brought to your table. Was it "Pancho's"? btw: I sort of liked Taco Bell back in the day when the menu was a lot simpler. Especially the "beef burritos" and the "Enchirito." I haven't eaten at a Taco Bell in years, but the Gorditas weren't too bad the last time I did.
    Pancho's was at Britton and Penn in the same strip center as Pier 1 Imports.

I agree with you about liking TB when the menu was simpler

There was also a Pancho's on 39th just west of Meridian.

I find it interesting how local palates have evolved since '68 (when I was maybe 13). I also find it interesting how voter demographics don't seem to have changed at all. Not Politics. No Axe to Grind. Homemade Shepherds Pie is hittin' the plate tonight. (in Minnesota, they call it a Hotdish, =~)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Oh we hit El Charrito all the time, my parents seemed to rotate going to the three different restaurants that I knew of, Robinson, Paseo, and Broadway. I didn't really think of them as fast food though as in the taco and burrito fast food fare. I really loved Taco Boy though when I was a kid
    Isn't the El Charrito building now the Paseo Grille?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I seem to recall a Mexican place that might have been somewhere near The Village where you would raise a little flag if you wanted something brought to your table. Was it "Pancho's"? btw: I sort of liked Taco Bell back in the day when the menu was a lot simpler. Especially the "beef burritos" and the "Enchirito." I haven't eaten at a Taco Bell in years, but the Gorditas weren't too bad the last time I did.
    That sounds very much like Casa Bonita.

Pancho's had the flag as well.

7. Default Re: What we ate in '68

Quote Originally Posted by sacolton View Post
    That sounds very much like Casa Bonita.
    Yep and the Casa Bonita was in the shopping center at the NE corner of Portland and 39th Expressway (US 66).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pancho's had the flag as well.
    Did we ever have a Pancho's on the north side? The only one I remember was the building at I-240 and Penn where Cajun King is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Did we ever have a Pancho's on the north side? The only one I remember was the building at I-240 and Penn where Cajun King is now.
    Yes, there was a Pancho's on 39th; on the north side of the street just west of Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, there was a Pancho's on 39th; on the north side of the street just west of Meridian.
    When I was growing up in the 90's. I went to the Panchos on MacArthur and NW Expressway that was in front of old second generation Walmart that is now Incredible Pizza. It was a Chinese restaurant, then Indian restaurant, before that building was ultimately demolished.(May have caught fire?) I had fond memories of the Mexican buffet concept, but I went to Pancho's on 240 not too long before it closed and food and service was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    When I was growing up in the 90's. I went to the Panchos on MacArthur and NW Expressway that was in front of old second generation Walmart that is now Incredible Pizza. It was a Chinese restaurant, then Indian restaurant, before that building was ultimately demolished.(May have caught fire?) I had fond memories of the Mexican buffet concept, but I went to Pancho's on 240 not too long before it closed and food and service was terrible.
    Ddin't catch fire, it was just torn down so something new could be built in its place. Can't remember what, and haven't been out there in a while and too lazy to look it up. I believe there's a thread on it here someplace.

The first taco bell in Oklahoma city opened in '68. I believe it was on South Western across from Grant. The second one opened a bit later at /W.W. 29th and Miller. AT the time, their food was excellent. For many years now, not so much so. However, Taco Casa is today what Taco Bell was in 1969. . very good and hearty.

agreed. shortly after the PepsiCo purchase in '78, things started to change, and by the end of the 80's it was a completely different restaurant. and then it went through an even worse change again after PepsiCo spun it off as Tricon and then changed to Yum! Brands... it's sad too because that is when Long Jon Silvers and A$W really started a massive decline in quality as well.

13. Default Re: What we ate in '68

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yep and the Casa Bonita was in the shopping center at the NE corner of Portland and 39th Expressway (US 66).
    When l moved to Denver, l had to laugh that place was still open here. Barring it closing after COVID, it is still here, still has cliff divers and, bar none, every person l have heard who has eaten there says it's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    When l moved to Denver, l had to laugh that place was still open here. Barring it closing after COVID, it is still here, still has cliff divers and, bar none, every person l have heard who has eaten there says it's awful.
    my parents still tell me it's awful and wasn't good. but as a young kid, i sure loved it. lol

South OKC Re: What we ate in '68

Amazing. . a 5 year old thread and no one mentioned El Fenix. . which originally started at 23rd and Broadway. It closed and opened in Crossroads mall when it opened. Humble opinion, it was the Best MEXICAN RESTAURANT in
    OKC. Advert from 1974:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29 jan 74.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	18222

And this Place was decent back in the day, but their quality declined precipitously towards the end:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	don serapios.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	18223

I think there was also an El Fenix at Shepherd Mall.

What was the Mexican place on N. May Ave between 36th & 39th l used to eat at back in the 70s that had the huge big beef burrito? Wasn't that a Panchos?

When I worked at Crossroads in the early 80s we called it "El Kneenex" because none of us liked it.

I remember where it was and what it looked like inside, but can't remember much about the food.

18. Default Re: What we ate in '68

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I think there was also an El Fenix at Shepherd Mall.

What was the Mexican place on N. May Ave between 36th & 39th l used to eat at back in the 70s that had the huge big beef burrito? Wasn't that a Panchos?
    I agree about El Fenix. It was right by Dillards. When I was a kid mom, dad and both my sisters/BILs went there often.
    I grew up a block east of May on 37th & Miller. I don't remember a Mexican place on May except for a fast food place on the corner of 36th & May that was flattened by a tornado in the late 60s or 70. Same tornado flattened The Carousel restaurant across May and tore Dub Richardson ford and Safeway up pretty badly.

19. Default Re: What we ate in '68

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The thread was more about where we ate than what we ate during the 1960s. I think we ate a lot less fast food and Mexican food.
    Not my family. We ate tons of El Felix, Casa Bonita, McDonalds and What A Burger.

8 hamburgers for a Dollar at some drive in on the east side of El Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    8 hamburgers for a Dollar at some drive in on the east side of El Reno.
    That sounds like Quik's but l only recall one on Classen.

Thread Information