Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC in the top 25 for millennial job seekers

Default OKC in the top 25 for millennial job seekers

Default Re: OKC in the top 25 for millennial job seekers

Amarillo and Lubbock are ranked pretty high. That is.... surprising to say the least.

Not going to get into the science behind these types of lists, and really, OKC is the 41st largest metro area in the U.S. so being the 25th best city for millennial job seekers isn't a huge shout. What I will say is that, at least among my friend group, the low cost of living here is a real positive in terms of (a) getting millennials to move here from other cities, and (b) getting millennials to stay here rather than moving to "cooler" cities in the region such as Denver, Austin, and even Dallas where rents are notably higher than they are in OKC. Personally, I find OKC to be a great place to live because there are still plenty of things to do here, and rent is cheap enough that I can live in a vibrant part of town and still have a good amount of disposable income to spend on restaurants, concerts, and other things that I enjoy. Unless part of that dynamic changes, I plan on staying here for a while.

Blog Entries

Historic 6th Street in Amarillo has gotten pretty hip in recent years, I'm not surprised that is attracting folks.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Not going to get into the science behind these types of lists, and really, OKC is the 41st largest metro area in the U.S. so being the 25th best city for millennial job seekers isn't a huge shout. What I will say is that, at least among my friend group, the low cost of living here is a real positive in terms of (a) getting millennials to move here from other cities, and (b) getting millennials to stay here rather than moving to "cooler" cities in the region such as Denver, Austin, and even Dallas where rents are notably higher than they are in OKC. Personally, I find OKC to be a great place to live because there are still plenty of things to do here, and rent is cheap enough that I can live in a vibrant part of town and still have a good amount of disposable income to spend on restaurants, concerts, and other things that I enjoy. Unless part of that dynamic changes, I plan on staying here for a while.
    Legalized medical marijuana and modern liquor laws should really help OKC move past it's "uncool" perception in my opinion. The perception of stifling social conservatism has long been a black mark against OKC for attracting and keeping the younger generation. It's already amazing to look at how things have changed in just the past five years. I think at this point, if the state could just get its education up to the middle of the pack, OKC would be in a great position to really improve its national perception which in turn will help drive growth.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Historic 6th Street in Amarillo has gotten pretty hip in recent years, I'm not surprised that is attracting folks.
    These type of lists are calculated strictly by numbers and not reality. Trust me, millennials are not moving to Amarillo or Lubbock (outside of attending Texas Tech).

Thread Information