Widgets Magazine

Thread: Who’s in charge of highway lights??

Default Who’s in charge of highway lights??

Feel like this topic has been discussed before, but I wasn’t sure how to search for it. Been driving quite a bit after the sun goes down and the lighting issue along all the interstates in the metro is the worst I’ve ever seen it. Just last night going from Norman to Edmond, it was terrible. Stretches of a mile here, a half-mile there on I-35 and I-235, lights were out. This is the case on I-40 and I-44 as well. It’s weird as I noticed on the I-44 stretch that forks off to Hefner Parkway, there is probably a solid mile stretch where every single light is out going east bound. Then if you stay north onto Hefner Parkway, boom, every single light is working for probably a mile or two. Even the various stretches of working lights, you would have single non-functioning lights. Wouldn’t make a big deal out it but was driving in crappy weather one evening with a decent amount of traffic still and lines on the road were hard to see. Honestly don’t know how much the street lights would help that problem but it couldn’t hurt. Again, I’m sure it’s been discussed and whoever is in charge has a plan. But would love some insight from you all who are in the loop.

Default Re: Who’s in charge of highway lights??

I am not in the loop but I 100% agree. Most other cities don't seem to have this issue...why is OKC different!?

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Feel like this topic has been discussed before, but I wasn’t sure how to search for it. [...] Again, I’m sure it’s been discussed and whoever is in charge has a plan. But would love some insight from you all who are in the loop.
    Indeed.

www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43907

www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=37503

The lack of lights plus the perplexing refusal to use reflective paint for lane markings has been a problem for some time. One drop of rain and there are parts of I-40 that become impossible to discern any sort of lane markings at all, other sections where the "divots" left over from removing prior lane markings are even worse.

Recently had a conversation with the mayor about this. He acknowledges it's a big problem. Says several miles of copper have been stolen and the city will need about a half-million for repairs but in the meantime, they're working to find a way to make the lights more resistant to theft.

If that $500,000 figure is correct in terms of repairing all of the lights that are out along the highways, that is less than I would have expected and they really should try to find the money to do that ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
    Recently had a conversation with the mayor about this. He acknowledges it's a big problem. Says several miles of copper have been stolen and the city will need about a half-million for repairs but in the meantime, they're working to find a way to make the lights more resistant to theft.
    Hopefully they look to other municipalities who have had this figured out, there are solutions already out there, and it's absolutely ridiculous it's been a problem for years (yes, years) and hasn't been addressed.

Perhaps we should be looking at solar-powered lighting for our highways and streets. If we had solar-powered lights at least intermittently placed among highway lights it might improve safety if wired lights go down for whatever reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    Perhaps we should be looking at solar-powered lighting for our highways and streets. If we had solar-powered lights at least intermittently placed among highway lights it might improve safety if wired lights go down for whatever reason.
    Now there is an idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If that $500,000 figure is correct in terms of repairing all of the lights that are out along the highways, that is less than I would have expected and they really should try to find the money to do that ASAP.
    I thought the city was reaping a suprise sales tax receipt bonanza? There's the money.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Indeed.

www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43907

www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=37503

The lack of lights plus the perplexing refusal to use reflective paint for lane markings has been a problem for some time. One drop of rain and there are parts of I-40 that become impossible to discern any sort of lane markings at all, other sections where the "divots" left over from removing prior lane markings are even worse.
    Thanks for the links! I knew I read about these complaints on here.

Thread Information