Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1586

Thread: Ideas 4 MAPS

Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Can almost guarantee that if the Energy get funding for a stadium at some point, they will be cognizant of the need to protect as many people from the sun as possible. The east side of Taft has zero shading and it noticeably impacts attendance in those sections. They've also pushed all kickoffs between June 1st and August 31st back from 7:30 to 8:00 starting this season, so they are definitely aware of the sunlight/temperature issues.
    Agree with you. My main comments are about orientation. If the orientation is off in rendering then the whole complex rendering would be off too, due to dimensions. I would hope they got the basics right else its just a random drawing. If this vote is Dec and its now July, what do they expect public to vote for?

There is no way we are ready for a Dec vote when no one really knows what will be in MAPS and even micro projects like this are possibly off.

We need to scale down MAPS to $200m and 2 year approvals so we can get concensus and focus plus easily adapt to changing needs. This soccer complex is one of many ideas floated, yet the vote is 5 months away? Not enough time to get an actual 10 year, $1B package together and inform public in time imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good explanation d-usa:

Approximately 4,000 seats tarped off; several sections of good upper deck seats--did anyone envision the affects of the sun...
    Does OKC repeat its errors with a new MAPS 4 Soccer-American football stadium.
    they didn't tarp off the sections because of the effects of the sun

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    ^^^^^^^ This

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Strange, you mention this. When the ballpark first open, we had seats in that upper deck section down right field. Probably weren't enough butts in those seats and the ad dollars were more profitable...

Later, they were using some seats in those sections to replace other seats throughout the venue. BoulderSooner or jedicut, what's you take on why they trapped off those seats.

^^^ they roped it off so that the stands would look more full and so that they could make ad revenue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    ^^^ they roped it off so that the stands would look more full and so that they could make ad revenue
    Thanks, Go it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    yep. this. it forces more people into non-roped off sections, so that there is more infill in those. and allows for making money selling adds

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

At least there is room for future growth within our ballpark. The affects of the NBA on the limited sports entertainment dollars and the moderate growth of our city bodes well for the future of AAA minor league baseball.

Our attendance looks great for a team in last place in their division; especially when you match OKC up against other cities of similar size with PCL & NBA franchises:

Oklahoma City....6,733
    Salt Lake City.......6,129
    Memphis..............4,829
    New Orleans........2,937

All of the above franchises are division bottom feeders. New Orleans struggles (over-saturated) with NFL, NBA & PCL.

Source - PCL Attendance: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...d=112&sid=l112

Blog Entries

In order to (re)grow the seating capacity the city would have to purchase seats for the upper deck to replace the ones they've used to repair broken seats and to replace the bleacher seats. Just sayin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    In order to (re)grow the seating capacity the city would have to purchase seats for the upper deck to replace the ones they've used to repair broken seats and to replace the bleacher seats. Just sayin.
    You're correct, Shawnw. No knowledge if the seats were taken from the same section or one - three or more from a number of sections; they'll eventually need to be replaced Sunday repair items. Dodgers have had several large crowds exceeding 10,000 since the franchise relocated. Don't know the official capacity since the tarp ads.

JMO, you might see signs of this if just one section of the tarped upper deck opens within the next two seasons. Dodgers have really been playing some ball of late.

Blog Entries

If you go to a game and look, it's very obvious that there are almost no seats left up there in most of the covered sections. There are still some seats yes, but some pretty massive portions of them are gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    If you go to a game and look, it's very obvious that there are almost no seats left up there in most of the covered sections. There are still some seats yes, but some pretty massive portions of them are gone.
    Good observation. Like someone missing most of their teeth; you eventually pull them all.

Could it be more economically feasible to just remove all those seats, replace with bench back support style seating--better than standing room tickets. Retrofit those tarps where they could be temporarily removed when you have large promotions with potential to draw 13,000. Again, temporary just saying.

Not going to lie, that video showing the renderings is really cool. I could get on board with something like this if it is close to that depiction. However, that looks like billions in private investment in the area with almost no surface parking. Seems very pipedream.

The rendering is great, but rather fantastic. It’s banking on the stadium being a driver for housing, retail and restaurant development. Sorry but that seems rather pie in the sky.

Blog Entries

Wow, how did I miss those bench back support seats in the 3 sections below the upper deck beginning beyond the right infield line--to the triangle section are the seats they would need to order for future upper deck use.

16. Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The rendering is great, but rather fantastic. It’s banking on the stadium being a driver for housing, retail and restaurant development. Sorry but that seems rather pie in the sky.
    I know OKC isn't Denver but if the new stadium were to blend in and contribute to the Bricktown look, it could be a catalyst for fill in development. The Rockies Coors field was definitely a catalyst to the point there is little vacant land available within a mile.

Blog Entries

Potential 'cotton mill' transformative project, still alive...

The Cotton Mill project marketed by Sooner Development, just southeast of downtown, is waiting to see if a soccer/multiuse stadium will be included in MAPS 4; it could anchor the retail-entertainment project.

"None of these projects (Chisholm Creek, Penn Central, The Cotton Mill project) have broken ground, " Price Edwards said, but all "would take Oklahoma City retail to a new level."--Oklahoman, Business section, July 27, 2017: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

Upcoming events:

Wednesday, July 31
    Transit
    Homelessness
    Chesapeake Arena & NBA enhancements
    Diversion hub

Tuesday, Aug. 6
    Mental health
    Multipurpose stadium
    Innovation District
    Other projects brought forward by Councilmembers
    Overview of format, timing, revenue estimates, sustainable design, 1% for art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I know OKC isn't Denver but if the new stadium were to blend in and contribute to the Bricktown look, it could be a catalyst for fill in development. The Rockies Coors field was definitely a catalyst to the point there is little vacant land available within a mile.
    Coors Field is the third oldest stadium in the National League, accommodates 46,897; built in 1995 at a cost of $300 million.

Denver, you must admit is way beyond anyone's league (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS); but they had to start somewhere...

Oklahoma City is in the early stages of U.S. major league sports development. NBA we have secured with new enhancements to be proposed for The Peake (MAPS 4: Wednesday, July 31,) and the multipurpose stadium (Tuesday, August 6) could be the catalyst for MLS.

Our stadium will be in the core of the city's revitalized-redevelopment in the downtown area. An approved MAPS 4 stadium will be a game-changer, we will have NBA, PCL (AAA) & USL (AAA) venues centralized in the downtown core. Potential starter stadium for another major league franchise.

Remember 30 years ago (1990), our CBD core development was DEAD.

Coors Field is the third oldest stadium in the National League, accommodates 46,897; built in 1995 at a cost of $300 million.

Denver, you must admit is way beyond anyone's league (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS); but they had to start somewhere...

Oklahoma City is in the early stages of U.S. major league sports development. NBA we have secured with new enhancements to be proposed for The Peake (MAPS 4: Wednesday, July 31,) and the multipurpose stadium (Tuesday, August 6) could be the catalyst for MLS.

Our stadium will be in the core of the city's revitalized-redevelopment in the downtown area. An approved MAPS 4 stadium will be a game-changer, we will have NBA, PCL (AAA) & USL (AAA) venues centralized in the downtown core. Potential starter stadium for another major league franchise.

Remember 30 years ago (1990), our CBD core development was DEAD.
    USL is not a AAA league. It is a completely separate league from MLS and does not act in ayn way as a feeder league. Now some MLS teams have reserve squads in the USL, but the league as a whole doesn't exist to feed the MLS players.

Blog Entries

Don't claim to know all the 'ins & outs' of the soccer system since it isn't the same, so I stand corrected, PattyShack.

USL soccer is comparable to PCL AAA play; it would be the next level to the highest caliber of play in the U.S. is all I am saying. Many MLS franchises now have USL affiliates; again, don't know if they act in the same capacity of AAA, my reference is limited to what I have read--NASL OKC Rayo vs USL Oklahoma City Energy FC in that the arrangement is reminiscent of an MLB club's AAA farm team in the caliber of play.

So forgive me if my knowledge of being politically correct offended you and any others. Just want to maintain the highest level of soccer sports entertainment available for our city.

...and if you really want to know the truth; based on the Funks' previous track records, not so sure their group would be the ones to get us to MLS; IIRC they had a good opportunity to bring MLS to OKC (Pre NBA in OKC) in 2002 when the franchise fee was $10 million; now it's nothing less that $100 million.

Don't claim to know all the 'ins & outs' of the soccer system since it isn't the same, so I stand corrected, PattyShack.

USL soccer is comparable to PCL AAA play; it would be the next level to the highest caliber of play in the U.S. is all I am saying. Many MLS franchises now have USL affiliates; again, don't know if they act in the same capacity of AAA, my reference is limited to what I have read--NASL OKC Rayo vs USL Oklahoma City Energy FC in that the arrangement is reminiscent of an MLB club's AAA farm team in the caliber of play.

So forgive me if my knowledge of being politically correct offended you and any others. Just want to maintain the highest level of soccer sports entertainment available for our city.

...and if you really want to know the truth; based on the Funks' previous track records, not so sure their group would be the ones to get us to MLS; IIRC they had a good opportunity to bring MLS to OKC (Pre NBA in OKC) in 2002 when the franchise fee was $10 million; now it's nothing less that $100 million.

Don't think OKC is even on the MLS radar at this time, there's a decent sized waiting list in larger markets. If this was for MLS I would be all in on building the stadium if it was a first class 200 mil + project. That would draw fans in the 15-20k range every game. What they are proposing here is not even in the same ballpark. I just don't think it's worth it. This would be a gift to the owners.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Don't think OKC is even on the MLS radar at this time, there's a decent sized waiting list in larger markets. If this was for MLS I would be all in on building the stadium if it was a first class 200 mil + project. That would draw fans in the 15-20k range every game. What they are proposing here is not even in the same ballpark. I just don't think it's worth it. This would be a gift to the owners.
    'First class $200 mil + project...' thought you were initially against the stadium because of the price, you did say the owners should foot that bill. Unfortunately, OKC doesn't have a wealth of potential owners like Sacramento & St. Louis (potential markets on MLS' radar).

Clarification purposes: The stadium will not be a gift to the owners, it will be solely owned & operated by the City of Oklahoma City or its designee agent like an SMG management group who have access to events they could book into the venue to get more use from it. The lease agreement with NBA Thunder & PCL Dodgers pays for their operational expenses.

MAPS 4 Stadium will be similar to the operations of Chesapeake Energy Arena & Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark--solely owned by our city.

Energy FC will be the anchor tenant paying for upkeep and maintenance with a least agreement. The stadium project won't need an endowment with a USL tenant on the waiting list.

You are correct about larger markets, MLS wants 2 million metro population markets with name recognition like Sacramento & Cincinnati; OKC has name-recognition--with an NBA franchise.

Probably why you won't see our sister city (Tulsa) in MLS (name-recognition) unless a billionaire like George Kaiser steps up with a mega investment as he did with The Gathering Place. Tulsa is more capable of supporting Major League Soccer than OKC, they don't have an NBA franchise in their market.

23. Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Except for the end of the NBA season, the seasons don't overlap much but my thinking is soccer would mostly be a separate audience? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Except for the end of the NBA season, the seasons don't overlap much but my thinking is soccer would mostly be a separate audience? Maybe I'm mistaken.
    USL/MLS: March to October,
    both professional soccer leagues; each team playing 34 games

[October, March, April = shared months]

NBA: October 2019 – April 2020; each team playing 82 games.

Seasons overlap October, March & April are 3 months the NBA and USL/MLS share.

Watched the presentation today and to me the Chesapeake Arena upgrades are a no-brainer to me. Not including the upkeep/maintenance items (which are the most important but boring) the package is well rounded and would greatly improve the total experience of this arena. As someone who uses the arena quite frequently for both concerts and Thunder games (Loud City), the best part of the experience right now is the atmosphere not the actual arena itself. The NE corridor has always needed to be widened as it is has the most foot traffic this would fulfill that need. I suspect that even with the park and streetcar being closer to the new SW entrance, this NE entrance will continue to be the primary entrance since many people still park in Bricktown/Cox Center and walk. If anything were to get cut, IMO it should be the new scoreboard but again that would improve the experience and quite frankly, most arenas have much nicer scoreboards which relates to competitiveness in amenities offered by arenas. These improvements everyone will get to enjoy which is why I am excited at the possibility.

That being said, if things needed to get cut the thunder practice facilities should be the first to go. As someone who has gone through collegiate sports recruitment very recently, I completely understand and agree that these facilities are vital to players and their importance should not be minimized. However, I'm not sure if this is the proper way to fund the improvements as the public would not have access to something their tax dollars paid millions to. I see both sides to this debate but I think the Thunder should pay for the improvements of that specific facility and we should help with the arena improvements.

Thread Information