Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas 4 MAPS

Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

^^^^^^^ this... it's not the cost to build the stadium... its the cost of where they would want to build the stadium

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Looks like a stadium was popular at the community planning session

That was from a 'business leaders' workshop back in August, NOT an open community planning session.

Also, that was just one of several images, and the rest showed all kinds of ideas -- not just this particular one.

Very disingenuous (likely unintentional) to present this image as some sort of proof of what is wanted by the voting public.

Here is another image from that same planning session.

We have no way of knowing how many ideas were suggested, what the count was for each, who was in attendance and what the process was.

And, BTW, there were only six stickies for Stadium. Let's pump the brakes on calling this some sort of mandate.

It still blows me away how many people don’t understand what maps is for.

Sponsoring an NCAA bowl game is all time non sensical ridiculous idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Yes, but this will be built on land in the core, not some suburban field already owned by a school district.

Land alone for a project this size would be very high (both acquisition and required infrastructure), which is why the Energy have been considering setting up temporary shop in Chisholm Creek.
    what did the convention center land sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It still blows me away how many people don’t understand what maps is for.

Sponsoring an NCAA bowl game is all time non sensical ridiculous idea.
    haha... i was thinking the exact same thing

I'd love to see more trees in the urban core and all around okc, and sidewalks in neighborhoods fixed (Paseo,Plaza). I like the idea of a soccer stadium but i do worry, so im back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    But to argue that we don't want one because lots of people here watch Premier League over MLS is silly. Of course they do. We don't have an MLS team. Go to Kansas City. Go to Orlando or Atlanta or Seattle or Portland or Toronto or Columbus or Sacramento or Nashville. Ask them if they only pay attention to the European leagues and don't support MLS.
    Did you mean to quote to my post? I didn't make that argument.

Blog Entries

Change Maps so monies can be raised from the sales tax to maintain current and future projects

Blog Entries

The mayor has mentioned doing this via endowments established with MAPS funds.

Even the new sidewalks need maintenance.

I have newish ones all around my neighborhood and most have huge weeds growing up through them which is going to cause big problems down the road.

And we already pay a big chunk to the Myriad Gardens and now Scissortail Park out of our general city budget. Many of these projects place a strain on our existing tax dollars.

If people want a soccer stadium they need to have an owners group that can get the attention of the MLS and get on their radar. Then if the MLS agrees to place a team in OKC that is the time to talk stadium. That would be the time to ask the public to pitch in and HELP build a stadium. It should not be up to the citizens of OKC to build a 100-200 mil. dollar stadium. It should be a partnership with the owners group. And it will cost 100-200 mil to build an MLS stadium depending on where it's built.

My brother just sent me a text from Dubai with a picture of their incredible indoor ski resort. If we can't find a way to dedicate a portion of the MAPS tax to fund the regional transit system, then I'm all in for building one of these in OKC:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dubai Ski Resort.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	14963

Name:	Ski Dubai 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	14964

Name:	Ski Dubai 2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	14965

Now that would be transformational

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    My brother just sent me a text from Dubai with a picture of their incredible indoor ski resort. If we can't find a way to dedicate a portion of the MAPS tax to fund the regional transit system, then I'm all in for building one of these in OKC:

Name:	Dubai Ski Resort.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	14963

Name:	Ski Dubai 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	14964

Name:	Ski Dubai 2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	14965

Now that would be transformational
    I wonder what one of these cost? I would love something like this and something like Crystal Lagoons. Since we're landlocked, why not get some mountain and beach activity here? Sign me up!

That said, I bet that some minor updates such as trees and LED street lighting could go pretty far. I HATE the orange high pressure sodium lights. They are only good for growing cannabis. When I drive at night in the rain, the lighting is so terrible on many OKC streets I can't even tell where the lane markers are.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    I wonder what one of these cost? I would love something like this and something like Crystal Lagoons. Since we're landlocked, why not get some mountain and beach activity here? Sign me up!

That said, I bet that some minor updates such as trees and LED street lighting could go pretty far. I HATE the orange high pressure sodium lights. They are only good for growing cannabis. When I drive at night in the rain, the lighting is so terrible on many OKC streets I can't even tell where the lane markers are.
    I've been on the Crystal Lagoon train since the start. Put it over by the white water rapids and boathouses. Would be an amazing thing in the summer. No beach? Build one

I'd still love to see a massive investment in what I'll generally call "beautification." Without the natural beauty and geography of many cities, Oklahoma City can look a little lacking. Think fountains, more boulevard-like streets with medians and turn lanes, raise community standards for accountability in dilapidated structures all over the metro, So many possibilities that could change the perception of our city, inside (and especially outside) the core.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I've been on the Crystal Lagoon train since the start. Put it over by the white water rapids and boathouses. Would be an amazing thing in the summer. No beach? Build one
    So I did some Googling Maps'ing and came up with this. The Epperson Lagoon on Florida is a recently completed one.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/e.../data=!3m1!1e3

Epperson lagoon needs ~ 1 sq mile of land:

The scrapyard is just about the only lot that would fit near the river. But, I guess it could work, based on my crude mockup:

^

Thanks for the effort!

Remember though that the new OG&E substation is at the east end of that parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I'd still love to see a massive investment in what I'll generally call "beautification." Without the natural beauty and geography of many cities, Oklahoma City can look a little lacking. Think fountains, more boulevard-like streets with medians and turn lanes, raise community standards for accountability in dilapidated structures all over the metro, So many possibilities that could change the perception of our city, inside (and especially outside) the core.
    I agree, with so many run down streets, curbs, sidewalks to nowhere, "parks", and other issues spread all around the city, there's no shortage of beautification work!

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post

You shoudl drive through Bethany along 39th expressway. They just finished installing new LED street lights and they are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I'd be on board with that.

^

The problem is we have no budget to maintain what we have now. Weeds and trash everywhere.

Ironically, at least part of that is due to keeping our sales tax artificially low to accommodate MAPS.

Even with the $.01 for MAPS, OKC is still a little below average when it comes to neighboring sales tax rates.

So, effectively, we have not raised our sales tax for operating budget to make room for MAPS and because our operating budget is so low, we have a difficult time doing routine maintenance.

This is part of MAPS that few people understand.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

That is so true, Pete.

As we build lets hope our sales tax collections grow proportionately to cover operation expenses.

Continue the ideas of what posters want? We know that any idea posted here falls into the category of what some individual poster doesn't want--think about it. Also, don't forget that some ideas don't come under the category of capital improvements.

What are capital improvements:

A capital improvement project provides for the construction, repair, or improvement of buildings or grounds. This includes new construction, additions, renovations, renewals, repairs, site development, utility services, extensions and plant improvements, parking facilities, roads, fixed equipment installation and similar projects.
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) does capital improvements on roads, bridges etc; therefore some of these may overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The problem is we have no budget to maintain what we have now. Weeds and trash everywhere.

Ironically, at least part of that is due to keeping our sales tax artificially low to accommodate MAPS.

Even with the $.01 for MAPS, OKC is still a little below average when it comes to neighboring sales tax rates.

So, effectively, we have not raised our sales tax for operating budget to make room for MAPS and because our operating budget is so low, we have a difficult time doing routine maintenance.

This is part of MAPS that few people understand.
    Even though I've been a HUGE proponent of MAPS, I do tend to agree. Living in the part of the city that was built in the late 50's/early 60's, it is MORE than apparent that basic infrastructure is long overdue for upkeep. Dramatically so, in many ways.

Three things come to mind:.

1. What would it cost to fix 90% of the "core" of OKC's roads? I've seen the project list & cost for Better Streets/Safer City, and I truly think it would cost near $3,000,000,000 to fix the majority of highly trafficked roads.

2. Is "Better Streets II" more important than MAPS 4? In some ways I kinna think, ya.

3. Should we just stop the "initiatives" parade and raise the damn tax to 8.5% and go on with our lives? This gives me pause too, but.. I kinna agree.

I'm torn. If we're going MAPS 4 though, build me a damn beach!

Sales tax collections are up like 10% YOY and at an all time high. The system is working. We have the operational revenue to pay for the new toys because the new toys drive new revenue.

Even during the worst oil bust since the 80s, sales tax revenue declined but definitely didn’t plunge.

Thread Information