Widgets Magazine
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14596061626364
Results 1,576 to 1,586 of 1586

Thread: Ideas 4 MAPS

Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    I ask this question out of ignorance. What happens after this MAPS (assuming it passes) runs its course, pertaining to things such as mental health, homelessness, drug abuse etc. Are the items that tackle these issues permanent or are they just something that will improve us in these areas until they’re no longer funded?
    I believe Urban Pioneer said that most of the projects had made allowances for operating and maintenance costs in their presentations, but not having seen most of the presentations, I can't say that for sure, maybe he'll chime in. Or you could poke around in the presentations and see if they have ongoing funds allocated somehow after MAPS4 ends for yourself, they're on okc.gov somewhere.

Point to a complex social issue government has fixed.

At least an aquarium has sharks and what not

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Great response. I read yesterday Seattle has spent an avg of $30,000 on each homeless person and the problem is worse now than even 5 years ago. We would need to have a serious discussion on how to beat tackle social issues not just slam it in MAPS and assume that fixes or even helps it. .
    A dollar figure from the federal government spending, taxpayers from 1964 to 2014 spent $22 trillion on the war on poverty. In 2013 alone, taxpayers spent $943 million on food, housing, and medical care for low income.

I agree and have stated in previous posts that MAPS is not the place for social spending. Enough of our tax dollar are already taken for these issues at the state and federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

Do they have laser beams on their heads?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

The educating of the workforce post WW2 with the GI Bill was a success for individuals and society. Medicare was and is a success for elderly medical care versus the no care prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The educating of the workforce post WW2 with the GI Bill was a success for individuals and society. Medicare was and is a success for elderly medical care versus the no care prior.
    And now

Medicare is unsustainable

GI bill wasn’t fixing a complex social issue.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Do they have laser beams on their heads?

That’s all I want

... responded to wrong quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I believe Urban Pioneer said that most of the projects had made allowances for operating and maintenance costs in their presentations, but not having seen most of the presentations, I can't say that for sure, maybe he'll chime in. Or you could poke around in the presentations and see if they have ongoing funds allocated somehow after MAPS4 ends for yourself, they're on okc.gov somewhere.
    That is correct. And all of this money is aimed at infrastructure. I would encourage everyone to actually take the time to watch the presentations. They are on the city’s YouTube channel. Nearly all the comments almost seem like an uneducated knee jerk reaction to this collective proposal. It does however demonstrate that those campaigning for these items have their work cut out for them.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Urban Pioneer, thanks again for your service on the city's oversight committee; also your genuine input as it related to the MAPS process.

The multipurpose stadium was melted down to its lowest figure in option 1; it's left with ashes and now some of you want to burn the ashes.

I've created a new thread that lists all the proposed projects with corresponding budgets.

Closing this thread so discussion can be focused on these specific topics and numbers.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...39#post1087539

Thread Information