Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas 4 MAPS

Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

I would love to see a public garden in south okc (south of 74th) focused on native plants that incorporates sculptures, classes, and a farmer's market.

I like seeing the input from the Mayor.

I can tell you this much I’ve been on board with all the MAPS up to this point and typically urge fellow residents to vote yes because I understand the impact. I understand these projects are meant to hit several items and are always going to be a bit of a compromise, but I agree with an earlier poster I’m all on board as long as the top projects that have consensus are the ones that get picked. I’m not a stadium fan but if everyone feels strongly that they want it, I’d still consider voting yes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I would love to see a public garden in south okc (south of 74th) focused on native plants that incorporates sculptures, classes, and a farmer's market.
    Super idea. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese has plans for a 2,000-seat Basilica & Father Stanley Rother Shine on SE 89th Street between Interstate 35 & Shields Boulevard; incorporate a public garden/farmer's market would complement the development in this area.

And the people need to be very weary, and hold them accountable. Remember when the Hornets were considering coming to town... they had a meeting scheduled w/ City planners, but Cornett had a big event handing the key to the city to Mary Hart, so he told Couch "Give them whatever they want!! We need this!!!" and Couch ignored him and negotiated away some of their ridiculous demands.... I doubt Holt would do something similar, but he IS doing way more on this than anything else for a reason, and we need to make sure the people he is talking to, who warrant our distrust, don't sway him in the wrong direction....

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I don't think it's shady at all for the mayor of OKC to be doing everything he can to learn about the soccer business before he considers supporting a proposal for OKC to build a soccer facility. He did his part with the Thunder, I think he has a bit of expertise in this area and I look forward to hearing his thoughts on the subject. It's no secret that local gazillionaire Bob Funk wants a stadium which he has no interest in paying for. Be worried if the mayor supported a stadium before he extensively inquired into the feasibility of the project.

I really really hope that we can just say no to **VIBRANT!***
    please read my buddy Thomas Frank's essay on the matter, it is excellent.

Dead End on Shakin’ Street

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    ....., but also connecting it to other vibrant parts of the city. What is now a place that most people don't go would instead become a part of the larger downtown area. Your average person would now have a reason to go to Capitol Hill....

I think some of you just need to accept the fact this town loves sports, and will want things related to sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    First off I said starting to, haven't full regretted it, so I think I'm right on target with my feelings.

I'm well aware of what he's done in the past, behind the scenes, but as Mayor you definitely get more scrutiny.

I think my biggest complaint, and this is purely my opinion, but he comes off as arrogant and a little smug a lot of the time. I follow him on Twitter, and watch a lot of his videos, and while he definitely plays off the idea that he's open to all this public input, I just get the notion that he already has a good idea of the direction he'd like to see things go. Now that's not to say he doesn't get nudged in a different direction if it's just blatantly obvious there is something better, but it just appears to me anyways, he's got a plan, and he mostly plans to stick to it.

Overall it's hard to explain, I don't mean to come off harsh, because as of right now, if I could go back in time, I'd still vote for him. I still think he was the better choice. But there is something about him that I just am not a huge fan of, and all I can chalk it up to is his demeanor. You know sometimes people rub you the wrong way, and you can't always quantify it logically, that's where I am. I'm absolutely rooting for his success and for me to be proven wrong, as a OKC resident I'd be crazy not too.
    i believe they call that leadership.

He was elected to implement his vision for the city, he’s open to input but he has an idea of he wants to do. You know like most policticians, at least he’s receptive.

Merely mentioned beginning a discussion if you skip the part where he says "I've visited with Bob and his team a lot over the last year..."

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it. What was in that email that indicated Holt would be upset if he doesn't get a publicly subsidized stadium? It seems like he merely mentioned beginning a discussion. Am I missing something?

Blog Entries

I was impressed with David Holt from his release of 'Big League City.' If you haven't read his book, please purchase a copy. You will feel his dedication to Oklahoma City and the behind-the-scenes efforts it took to bring the first major league sport to Oklahoma.

We initially set our sights on the NHL and landed an NBA franchise. There were many key players involved.

Mayor Holt wants & welcomes your input; he's ready to make plans for our city's future.

Whatever you feel about Holt, you have to give him credit on being responsive to individual constituents, even going back to his state senate days and being quick to respond to questions via social media.

As for a soccer stadium. I have a hard time putting much more than about $30mil towards a soccer stadium, unless we can demonstrate that it will be used for many different events. We arent even on the radar for MLS and building an expensive soccer stadium for one of the minor leagues for pro soccer is just dumb imo. Especially when you have the fair grounds wanting a new $95mil arena.

If it can remain fairly simple and relatively cheap in price, can show that it would be used for many high school sporting events (state football, soccer, anything else championships), concerts, etc., then maybe I could get behind building a stadium for our minor league soccer team.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Whatever you feel about Holt, you have to give him credit on being responsive to individual constituents, even going back to his state senate days and being quick to respond to questions via social media.

As for a soccer stadium. I have a hard time putting much more than about $30mil towards a soccer stadium, unless we can demonstrate that it will be used for many different events. We arent even on the radar for MLS and building an expensive soccer stadium for one of the minor leagues for pro soccer is just dumb imo. Especially when you have the fair grounds wanting a new $95mil arena.

If it can remain fairly simple and relatively cheap in price, can show that it would be used for many high school sporting events (state football, soccer, anything else championships), concerts, etc., then maybe I could get behind building a stadium for our minor league soccer team.
    30 mil might buy the land and make ready for a few tents. That is if you are building out of the core. For some reason that is not the vibe I'm getting. Kinda sounds like a push for a first class soccer stadium. 30 mil. isn't gonna touch that. Pretty sure in Louisville the owners are paying the bills along with a decent sized TIF. The old Cotton Seed place would be a perfect spot for an MLS stadium if we had an MLS team. I guess that's not happening any time soon though. I think it would be a slam dunk on the MAPS ballot if they were awarded a MLS franchise.

Blog Entries

OKC will not get an MLS franchise unless it has a stadium under construction or a temporary home.

Taft Stadium, Wantland Stadium (Edmond) & Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium (Norman) does not meet USSF FIFA regulations for Lamar Hunt U. S. Open Cup Competition with minimum field requirements: 'A playing surface of at least 68 yds by 110 yds Smooth, flat, and level playing surface.'

Major League Soccer (MLS): https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...uirements.html

Once an MLS franchise is awarded; we would need a stadium with a minimum seating capacity of 18,000.

Louisville (State gives final OK for Louisville City FC soccer stadium financing): https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...946002/http://

Expansion of Major League Soccer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expans..._Soccerhttp://

2022 expansion candidates: Major League Soccer has reported MLS aspirations from United Soccer League (USL) clubs in Charleston,[96] Charlotte,[97] Cincinnati,[98] Louisville,[99] and Oklahoma City.[100] Commissioner Garber has also stated that he expects Sacramento to be in next round's expansion discussions, St. Louis as a front-runner with the NFL Rams' departure, and that Austin, Cincinnati, Detroit, San Antonio, San Diego,[101] and Las Vegas[102] as potential expansion candidates for teams No. 25 through No. 28.
    Current MLS Stadiums: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...occer_stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    OKC will not get an MLS franchise unless it has a stadium under construction or a temporary home.

Taft Stadium, Wantland Stadium (Edmond) & Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium (Norman) does not meet USSF FIFA regulations for Lamar Hunt U. S. Open Cup Competition with minimum field requirements: 'A playing surface of at least 68 yds by 110 yds Smooth, flat, and level playing surface.'

Major League Soccer (MLS): https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...uirements.html

Once an MLS franchise is awarded; we would need a stadium with a minimum seating capacity of 18,000.

Louisville (State gives final OK for Louisville City FC soccer stadium financing): https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...946002/http://

Expansion of Major League Soccer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expans..._Soccerhttp://

Current MLS Stadiums: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...occer_stadiums
    the sourced article for that is this
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-expansion-bid

and if you read that... the only person who says we are candidates is Bob Funk Jr... cause that is all that article is about... how he thinks that is the long term plan... that is no commitment or even suggestion that OKC is even on any potential list for actual expansion.

And I think it's important to reiterate that we WILL lose the minor league soccer we currently have without a new stadium. USL has mandated that teams MUST play in a soccer-specific stadium by the 2020 season, either one owned by the team or one where the team is the primary tenant. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...-stadiums-2020

I am definitely in favor of building a new soccer-specific stadium as part of MAPS 4, but we need to be careful. Personally, I'd like to see it built as a stadium that fits current USL requirements, but can then be expanded easily to meet MLS standards if we do happen to land an MLS expansion team (or if we move one here). The fan experience is paramount to driving attendance at pro soccer games, and the experience at Taft is lackluster compared to a purpose-built stadium. It's one of the primary reasons I haven't yet attended an Energy FC game.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    And I think it's important to reiterate that we WILL lose the minor league soccer we currently have without a new stadium. USL has mandated that teams MUST play in a soccer-specific stadium by the 2020 season, either one owned by the team or one where the team is the primary tenant. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...-stadiums-2020

I am definitely in favor of building a new soccer-specific stadium as part of MAPS 4, but we need to be careful. Personally, I'd like to see it built as a stadium that fits current USL requirements, but can then be expanded easily to meet MLS standards if we do happen to land an MLS expansion team (or if we move one here). The fan experience is paramount to driving attendance at pro soccer games, and the experience at Taft is lackluster compared to a purpose-built stadium. It's one of the primary reasons I haven't yet attended an Energy FC game.
    and that is why i supported the pop-up stadium idea... just thought Chisholm Creek was a dumb location for it. they can find a spot for the pop-up stadium, that meets the USL requirements, and then if there is a possible chance for MLS expansion down the road, then look at a stadium plan to support it.

if they had the money for a pop-up stadium at Chisholm Creek, they should have the money for a team owned pop-up stadium somewhere else. there are already plenty of concert venues, etc around OKC that are already underutilized.. so there isn't a need for this stadium for any reason other than soccer, and thus should be on the onus of the team ownership.

i'd even be okay with the city chipping in some money for that pop-up stadium if necessary... but we do not currently have the need for a full fledged stadium build on the cities dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    and that is why i supported the pop-up stadium idea... just thought Chisholm Creek was a dumb location for it. they can find a spot for the pop-up stadium, that meets the USL requirements, and then if there is a possible chance for MLS expansion down the road, then look at a stadium plan to support it.

if they had the money for a pop-up stadium at Chisholm Creek, they should have the money for a team owned pop-up stadium somewhere else. there are already plenty of concert venues, etc around OKC that are already underutilized.. so there isn't a need for this stadium for any reason other than soccer, and thus should be on the onus of the team ownership.

i'd even be okay with the city chipping in some money for that pop-up stadium if necessary... but we do not currently have the need for a full fledged stadium build on the cities dime.
    Papa Murphy’s Park Is where the Sacramento republic play. It hold 11569 and was built in 2014 for 3 million dollars

I am fine with okc spending more and building a little bit of a nicer stadium. 10-20 mil we could have a very very nice minor league soccer stadium

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Papa Murphy’s Park Is where the Sacramento republic play. It hold 11569 and was built in 2014 for 3 million dollars

I am fine with okc spending more and building a little bit of a nicer stadium. 10-20 mil we could have a very very nice minor league soccer stadium
    I said this earlier in the thread and I agree. 10-20 million would build a perfectly fine minor league stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I said this earlier in the thread and I agree. 10-20 million would build a perfectly fine minor league stadium.
    for the cost to build the stadium, perhaps yes... but unless we put it at the fairgrounds, there is going to have to be a purchase of land... and that will raise the cost quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

It amazes me that the Energy brought in an executive from Sacramento's USL team for the express purpose of facilitating a move to a pop-up stadium, and the immediate thought wasn't just to build a pop-up stadium at the Fairgrounds like they did in Sacramento. They've essentially wasted away their window of opportunity to get something going for the 2019 season, and I have to think that attendance at Taft next year is going to be even worse than it was this year, given how poorly they've handled this.

And there is tons and tons of open fields and parking at the fairgrounds.

That seems like a great solution, at least in the medium term.

And rental / revenue could be shared with the city/fairgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And there is tons and tons of open fields and parking at the fairgrounds.

That seems like a great solution, at least in the medium term.

And rental / revenue could be shared with the city/fairgrounds.
    if if they are going a pop-up stadium, i'm okay with that idea.

With all of the worry about vagrants taking over our new trolley cars, how about we do some massive public investment in the homeless? The city could build affordable housing, expand services for mental illness. It isn't sexy, but it would fill a serious community need and save lives.

With all of the worry about vagrants taking over our new trolley cars, how about we do some massive public investment in the homeless? The city could build affordable housing, expand services for mental illness. It isn't sexy, but it would fill a serious community need and save lives.
    Any recurring revenues in mind to keep the doors open for it?

I'm afraid Dallas and other cities would be shipping them up by the bus loads again if the City Of OKC was giving away free housing/sleep - living qtrs. They may still be doing that anyways.

Thread Information