Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Spaniard (formerly The Elliott)

Default Re: The Elliott

At first I said “okay doesn’t look bad” but then I realized I said that because im so passionate about growing this city. In reality, this design aesthetic is so aggravating to me. Firms still design like this? What is this, the late 90’s/early 2000’s? Are we trying to become turtle creek/west village in dallas? I didn’t like Rand’s design either because the it felt like a hospital from the 90’s (awful renders btw, glass was unreadable) but atleast it didn’t try to aim to look like a McMansion apartment complex.

This will be an unpopular opinion on this board, but I think the lower-rise nature of this development fits with the surrounding area better than a tower would.

Plenty of room for towers a bit farther south.

I'm sure the Villa Teresa developers are happy not to be looking at a tower and large parking garage.

This project better fits the scale of the surrounding area.

What a weird capitulation. Is there no middle ground between trying to sell a $1 million two bedroom and just deciding, "the hell with it, we'll build midscale rental units"?

In OKC urban housing, it seems to be "swing for the fences or just give up on selling owner-occupied units."

Very odd, because in other major cities there are owner-occupied for-sale units at a variety of price points.

There are plenty of expensive condos for sale and that have sold in OKC.

This is a relatively small parcel so to do anything with amenities they had to go vertical. Obviously, that was too expensive for this market. There is a long list of for-sale projects that tried to do presale and then couldn't get off the ground that weren't competing with a project directly across the street.

It's not weird nor a capitulation. It's just the way they can get a loan and still make money, and if you can't do those things you can't develop any property.

Blog Entries

low rise good, borrowing that roof tile from Rick Dowell, eh...

"borrowing that roof tile from Rick Dowell, eh..."
    My thoughts as well lol

8. Default Re: The Elliott

I still had a hard time believing that Villa Teresa had much say in this going away. It's not like looking at the Edge is aesthetically pleasing. I just think, here in Oklahoma, people have a hard time putting money down for something they can't really see yet (a little different from building a new home where you can customize anything).

Architecture is a matter of personal taste but I think I like the low-rise apartments better. It's hard to know from the rendering but I think this stands a chance of meshing better with Villa Teresa across the street.

As for the economics of the mid-rise proposal, it seems clear that there is not enough demand for condos at that price level in our area to support filling a bunch of empty lots with them. However, there is absolutely a niche for that type of development, since a lot (most?) of the ones that did get built have been successful. We just can't expect all of Downtown and Midtown to be filled with them. Don't forget that, even after the recent appreciation in home prices, with half a mile or so, you could be an urban pioneer in Metro Park for peanuts, or buy a single-family home in CTP for under $300k, or get something historic in Mesta for under $500k. Now obviously those options will all appeal to different people (do they have kids? do they have large dogs?) but their mere existence acts to reduce the already-small potential niche for condos like this.

To me *something* other than another medical office parking lot going into this lot is a good thing. It suggests that we've broken away from the pattern we were in several years back, where it was better to leave the land empty and "wait" for luxury condos to be economically viable than it was to build something and get the neighborhood going! That's a big deal! One interesting thing to contemplate is the seeming mis-match between the massive popularity of Downtown rental housing and mid-range to upper-mid-range for-sale housing. To my knowledge, the Downtown and Midtown apartment complexes are full and able to raise rents at will. There's clearly a huge difference between paying $1200 or $1500/month at LIFT or The Edge and buying a condo in what would have been The Elliott. We've got this sort of pipeline going now where a prosperous young person rents Downtown for a few years. Then maybe they get married and buy a house in Gatewood or Edgemere or Mesta. They retire, down-size, and move back Downtown into a luxury condo. It is interesting to think about why no one (outside of The Civic, I guess) has filled that middle niche in the area southeast of NW 13 and Classen (because it's happening all over Gatewood, GTP, and the OCU area!). I know it's not due to a lack of land but beyond that, who knows?

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Spaniard (formerly The Elliott)

Eight-story Midtown condo tower scrapped, being replaced with three-story apartments
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ts/8266270002/

Well, at least they save money by getting the spanish roof tile from Rick Dowell.

While I would have liked an 8 story tower in midtown, this actually looks pretty cool, and will infill that parcel of land nicely.

any images available that aren't behind the paywall? I always thought the 8-story building seemed out of place, but to each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    any images available that aren't behind the paywall? I always thought the 8-story building seemed out of place, but to each their own!
    https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...42#post1179942

14. Default Re: The Spaniard (formerly The Elliott)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    While I would have liked an 8 story tower in midtown, this actually looks pretty cool, and will infill that parcel of land nicely.
    agreed. We can hopefully have the 8 storey condo tower (and taller) elsewhere as it would have been an underuse of most of the property, this is much better honestly.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ah, thank you. I think those will be very cool in that area. The apartments looked like, well, apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Ah, thank you. I think those will be very cool in that area. The apartments looked like, well, apartments.
    Yeah I really like this type of architecture. I’m guessing it’s Spanish Revival type? I’m not an architect but it looks great.

17. Default Re: The Spaniard (formerly The Elliott)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah I really like this type of architecture. I’m guessing it’s Spanish Revival type? I’m not an architect but it looks great.
    If the build-quality is high it will be like a retro apartment complex in LA, if not, it will look like vacation rental apartments in Orlando. Hope they sink some bucks into this and build to last, both structurally and aesthetically.

Dirt work has started on this.

In addition to the Spaniard, the Villa Teresa hotel should be starting soon right across the street, as should the Classen Marquette housing project on the site of the old EMSA building.

Thread Information