Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Spaniard (formerly The Elliott)

Default Re: The Elliott

Any idea how this will effect Villa Teresa? Think VT is on board with this development?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Any idea how this will effect Villa Teresa? Think VT is on board with this development?
    I'm sure they are competing in the same market for pre-sales.

Oil taking a dive at the wrong time for this project. Hopefully that remedies itself before Q2 so that this thing can have a chance...seems like a lot of these projects have about 9-12 months of interest and if they don't gather sufficient support by then they fizzle.

Blog Entries

I understand they have 6 pre-solds at this point. A big demographic is empty nesters who don’t want to maintain a large home and yard in areas like HH, MP, CH, etc. That’s also a Villa T target market albeit some people don’t want to be in a large multi-story building as opposed to a more single family/townhouse type structure and parts of VT would be more for them. I agree it will be interesting to see how these move beyond this initial push.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Oil taking a dive at the wrong time for this project. Hopefully that remedies itself before Q2 so that this thing can have a chance...seems like a lot of these projects have about 9-12 months of interest and if they don't gather sufficient support by then they fizzle.
    Oil companies don’t move quite that quickly. Keeps diving, gets into the 40s, and stays there for 6 months you might see a slow down but a month crash isn’t going to hurt much.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Oil companies don’t move quite that quickly. Keeps diving, gets into the 40s, and stays there for 6 months you might see a slow down but a month crash isn’t going to hurt much.
    I wouldn't say the fear would be for the the job/income itself, but a certain psychological sense of security in jumping into an investment of this size, or even a windfall from a bonus or profit sharing that could be used to make the type of down payment that is needed to justify this kind of purchase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C19FE328-83D7-42AC-B479-88E74D52A482.jpeg 
Views:	1557 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	15154
    Saw that Rand posted this on his Instagram

Blog Entries

I saw this came before the Downtown Review Comm - the Villa Teresa folks spoke against it. Appears it was continued to a later date.

Did you catch what their issues were with it? I am interested to know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I saw this came before the Downtown Review Comm - the Villa Teresa folks spoke against it. Appears it was continued to a later date.
    Guess this isn't surprising given they will be competing for buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Guess this isn't surprising given they will be competing for buyers.
    This is my thought as well. I'll bet a beer their reasoning is "it's out place and scale."

12. Default Re: The Elliott

Well crap. I am supposed to meet with both of these places within the next week or two.

You would think it would be best to work together than to stall each other.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Well crap. I am supposed to meet with both of these places within the next week or two.

You would think it would be best to work together than to stall each other.
    The Elliott group is in full support of Villa Teresa.

This is only a one-way thing.

do the Villa Teresa people have issues with it being 8 stories?

Quote Originally Posted by shoei View Post
    do the Villa Teresa people have issues with it being 8 stories?
    Yes, that's their primary concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, that's their primary concern.
    In sales, that’s what we call a false objection.

What kind of issues would the height cause at Villa Teresa? The Physicians and Surgeons building 1/2 block to the west is 11 stories. I don’t understand how DDRC struggled to approve this? DDRC decisions always seem conflicting or political.

In the DDRC guidelines for this area, is 8 stories not permitted without a variance?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is my thought as well. I'll bet a beer their reasoning is "it's out place and scale."
    Yes, that was essentially their position. Counsel for the Elliott said to not expect any big changes in design between now and the March meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Elliott group is in full support of Villa Teresa.

This is only a one-way thing.
    Does anyone else remember how hard Marva fought against the Classen Commons senior housing next door to Villa Theresa? And that was before her group even owned VT.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Does anyone else remember how hard Marva fought against the Classen Commons senior housing next door to Villa Theresa? And that was before her group even owned VT.
    She seems to fight a number of things and not get any of her own **** done.

I respect what she did with the Seiber, but the "Marva takes her time" narrative is getting old. I had brunch today at the Pump and it is obscene that she is just sitting on those nearby parcels, not only the boarded up multiplex but the empty lots as well. This is prime for housing development, and possibly mixed-use development. I know there's no way to force her hand but it is disappointing to see her drag this out. The neighborhood is on the verge of explosive growth and she is just moving at a snail's pace.

I don't always agree with Rand's aesthetic, and he too has been guilty of criticizing worthy developments, but we need the Elliott. It is a stud development in the perfect location. The design is top notch, extending the urbanity of the area while preserving historical architecture, and adding modernity. To oppose this project almost seems personal or even vindictive. I have no idea what their relationship is and I don't care but I would expect Rand's project to be completed before Marva even begins work on the Villa Theresa site.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    And that development is easily one of the best housing developments we've seen in the last few years -- and something that offers affordability. Impressively, it turned out nicer looking than other projects with much higher rents.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    And that development is easily one of the best housing developments we've seen in the last few years -- and something that offers affordability. Impressively, it turned out nicer looking than other projects with much higher rents.
    Marva and HH worked with the developers of the Commons to improve the the design because it was such a prominent property for Midtown, HH and Sosa. HH hired Randy Floyd to help the developers architects tweak the design.

The developers were very pleased with the outcome and the accolades they received for the project.
    When Marva consequently acquired VT with her partner, one of the first investors were the developers of The Common. Their comments were their confidence that she cared so much about something she didn't own that they knew Villa T would be a great project.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    the empty lots as well. This is prime for housing development, and possibly mixed-use development. I know there's no way to force her hand but it is disappointing to see her drag this out. The neighborhood is on the verge of explosive growth and she is just moving at a snail's pace..
    I do not know the particulars except that these lots are in redevelopment meetings and discussion now.

This seems very lame to argue about, especially from a group trying to do their own condos across the street. Arguing about height? Theres an 11 story tower 300ft from this. I suspect this gets passed without any changes. This is midtown, there is and should be diverse sizes, heights and uses.

I think the bigger battle for the developer will be securing the deposits and commitments for financing this thing.

Thread Information