Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

Blog Entries

Thunder Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

NBA arenas' built since 1990 all possess the amenities to maintain an NBA franchise for a very long time. OKC funded the shell of its arena with hopes to lure an NHL franchise (expansion/relocation) in 1993 with the MAPS initiative that budgeted $89 million for construction.

Chesapeake Energy Arena (2002)

Like the New Orleans Arena, the new facility in Oklahoma City would have to wait several seasons for an NBA franchise to come fill it, although how it came to lure the Seattle SuperSonics in 2008 was one of the great ironies in NBA arena history. Like Oklahoma City, New Orleans had its arena built and opened years before an NBA team would come play there. But after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the New Orleans Hornets were displaced, and turned to Oklahoma City to be a temporary home for two seasons. The Hornets were an enormous success at Chesapeake Energy Arena, so much so that Oklahoma City leapt to the forefront of potential landing spots for an expansion or relocating franchise. That came to pass when the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City in 2008.--NBA Arenas, Oldest to Newest: https://arenadigest.com/2017/10/12/n...oldest-newest/

Chesapeake Energy Arena (Expansion, Upgrades & Renovations):

2009:
    Upgraded lighting and finishes on the upper-level concourse (aka “LoudCity”)
    New Terrace Suites and Lounges on the club level
    New telescopic (retractable) and upgraded seating in the lower bowl
    State-of-the-art scoreboard and production facilities
    Locker room renovations

Additions & improvements that were made during this final phase include:

The new grand entry with a multi-story atrium.
    A new 75’ wide x 21’ tall exterior video display on the north face of the facility.
    New restaurants and lounges. (View renderings of additions to the Cox Club Level)
    A family fun zone.
    Team offices and expanded locker rooms.

Upcoming repairs & renovation:

$8.9 million for repairs & renovation of Chesapeake Energy Arena--approved by voters in September 12, 2017 general obligation bond election.

Sources:
    Chesapeake Energy Arena Improvements: https://www.chesapeakearena.com/abou...a/improvements
    The Official Site of the Oklahoma City Thunder: Arena & Facilities: https://www.nba.com/thunder/10/arena
    Oklahoma City voters approve bond, sales tax measures: https://newsok.com/article/5563872/v...s-tax-measures

Default Re: Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

I'm not sure why this never gets much exposure, but a couple years ago, the house PA was upgraded to an adaptive system from EAW and installed by local guys, Ford AV.

http://eaw.com/docs/9_Media/Case_Stu...peakeArena.pdf

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

Chesapeake Energy Arena's re-roofing is nearly complete; should be ready for the NBA 2018-19 season. Pic via OKCTalk forum 10-06-2018 http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23863&page=57

Having never been to BOK in Tulsa which arena is nicer ? Peake or BOK? Which one has the better sound system for concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Having never been to BOK in Tulsa which arena is nicer ? Peake or BOK? Which one has the better sound system for concerts?
    The Peake is nicer in every way and for everything other than the exterior though the upgraded south entrance closed the gap a bit in that regard.

^

Yes, with the new boulevard, Omni, convention center, park and everything else to the south, the new southwest entrance will finally be a focal point and give a completely different impression to visitors.

And if something fun and cool (like a great Thunder store / sports bar) in the spot directly south, that area will be even more of focus.

With Reno being the “main” road, the nice entrance always felt like the back of the arena.

I have been searching for the pic but cant find it now. but a friend posted a pic one night of the peake and it appeared to be testing some new lighting. like search light style beacons shooting up. has anyone else seen this? I know when it first opened it had some "search" light style lighting on poles at each corner but I don't think they were functional for even a year.

Is that the streetcar stop for the arena across Robinson? If so will there be a mid-block crossing there or do people have to go to the Boulevard and cross to get to the main entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Yes, with the new boulevard, Omni, convention center, park and everything else to the south, the new southwest entrance will finally be a focal point and give a completely different impression to visitors.

And if something fun and cool (like a great Thunder store / sports bar) in the spot directly south, that area will be even more of focus.
    Yep. To add to my post, the interior of the BOK isn't bad but it seems like only a slight upgrade over what the Peake interior was before the completion of the MAPS upgrades that were passed to bring the Sonics here. The interior (both the concourses and arena) is light years ahead now.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Is that the streetcar stop for the arena across Robinson? If so will there be a mid-block crossing there or do people have to go to the Boulevard and cross to get to the main entrance?
    The main Arena stop is just across Reno from the north entrance of the 'Peake. You could use the Scissortail Park station too, to use the south entrance; you'd just have to cross Robinson at the Boulevard (that intersection is super close to the streetcar stop).

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Just to piggy back what baralheia said here is a map of the streetcar stops. Little old but nothing should have changed Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6326.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	14954

Agree with everything in thread about BOK-Peake except for the exterior. The BOK architecture is world class. It’s stunning. It looks like an alien ship dropped in downtown Tulsa. No part of the Peake exterior is close. There’s nothing wrong with the Peake exterior. It’s just not in the same league IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Agree with everything in thread about BOK-Peake except for the exterior. The BOK architecture is world class. It’s stunning. It looks like an alien ship dropped in downtown Tulsa. No part of the Peake exterior is close. There’s nothing wrong with the Peake exterior. It’s just not in the same league IMHO.
    Eh, it's a poor mans Sprint Center. And the not so good interior takes a lot away from the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Hey now, I gave the BOK exterior it’s nod over the Peake! I just meant that the Peake renovation closed the gap a bit. BOK still a good deal prettier on the outside, though with the whole Bricktown theme, I think the Peake fits OKC. Though with the library, Devon, BOK tower, and other more modern buildings that have been built since, a design like the BOK would fit better now than it would’ve 15 years ago.

It's no shade on the Peake. It's a good arena that has many advantages over the BOK. Just not on the exterior. And I I like the Sprint Center too, but I'll still take the BOK. My favorite arena I've visited recently is Golden One in Sacramento. Just my opinion.

Only been in BOK a few times but to me the thing I liked better on the inside is more room to eat. Meaning it's wider in spots which allows for more tables. I would like the peak to turn that one area that is wider where they used to have cars parked into more of a dining area with stand up tables.

I love the density around the Golden1

HangryHippo Guest

I love the Sprint Center's design. Also, the new Chase Center in SF looks like it will be awesome.

How many more years do people think it will be before we see the first press conference stating, "...The Thunder need a new arena to stay successful?..."

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    How many more years do people think it will be before we see the first press conference stating, "...The Thunder need a new arena to stay successful?..."
    as long as the city continue to keep the peake current (you can bet that 10-30 mil for the peake will be in the next MAPS/GOBOND) and does things like the new thunder alley ... the longer we can push that date into the future ..

22. Default Re: Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

The more I think about it the more I think the Peake is here to stay for a long time. MSG in NYC has been in the same spot since the late 60s and it's been renovated numerous times.

I think the Peake can probably last another 10-20 years, but to me it just feels cramped every time I go to an event there.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I think the Peake can probably last another 10-20 years, but to me it just feels cramped every time I go to an event there.
    Cramped in what way?

Yeah, this idea of having to "replace" arenas is largely based on a misunderstanding of why so many new arenas were needed. From my understanding, many new arenas were needed because old ones weren't designed for luxury boxes and that cost a lot in profits. This was the case in Seattle. To my understanding, the Peake is not at missing any major money making features and unless there are new developments, there is absolutely no need to replace the Peake in even the next 50 years. Investing and keeping the arena up to date is different from actually needing to build a new one.

Besides, the Thunder Alley development should be another sign that there are no plans for a new arena any time soon.

25. Default Re: Chesapeake Energy Arena's upgrades

I have never been in it but when it was first built, wasn't it determined there were seats, maybe in the corners, that were entirely too narrow for today's hefty butts and had to be taken out and replaced with some wider seats?

Thread Information