Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GateHouse Media buys the Oklahoman Media Company

Default Re: GateHouse Media buys the Oklahoman Media Company

The Gaylord children had no desire to be media titans and cashed out when given the opportunity. They did not have the drive of their father and grandfather. When you think of how large the Gaylord Entertainment empire was in the 70's to 90's and how EK II started divesting soon after EL passed away in 2003. My cousin's wife was the controller for the Nashville branch of Gaylord Entertainment for many years. That included The Grand Ole Opry, Opryland amusement park, Opry Mills Mall, The Nashville Network, CMT, and the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. They also owned WKY radio and TV in addition to KTVT in DFW. They were a part owner of the Texas Rangers and Rangers games were broadcast on KTVT and at that time they were developing into a "superstation" like WGN and TBS. When they tried to acquire majority ownership of the Rangers the other MLB did not approve the sale because they were afraid of the Rangers becoming another Cubs or Braves type of team with a national reach.

Anschutz announced in August a $120 million donation for the expansion of the Anschutz Medical Campus for University of Colorado Health Center (where I had my liver transplant in March), Children's Hospital of Colorado, CU Medical School and the VA Hospital. His original donation to convert the former Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center to the health care campus was $180 million in the late 90's.

The third generation is usually the one that loses the passion of the previous two and either squanders or divests themselves from what their ancestors built like the Vanderbilts.
    Forbes - The Vanderbilts: How American Royalty Lost Their Crown Jewels

HangryHippo Guest

I’m always surprised to see what the Gaylords have done for other places and how little they actually did for OKC. I wish we had a Kaiser or Anschutz.

Anschutz bought the remains of the Rocky Mountain News when they closed up, he tried to buy The Denver Post at one time but they wouldn't sell. The Post has since been sold and the new owners relocated the offices to the printing plant in North Denver and laid off over half the staff. The daily paper now is about half of what the Oklahoman is in pages. Rumors are Anschutz is waiting for the Post to hit bottom, buy it and restart the RMN.

The Gaylord's also had the Fiesta Texas amusement park in San Antonio, Gaylord Hotel Texas and started the new Gaylord Hotel up by DIA before selling out. Fiesta Texas was sold to Six Flags long ago and Opryland was closed years ago. A couple of my cousins used to be entertainers at Opryland. One co-hosted a show called Opryland on Stage when The Nashville Network first went on the air and he was in the group that became Diamond Rio. His younger brother was in Diamond Rio for a short time before forming Restless Heart, his wife was the controller for Gaylord Nashville.

Last Sunday there was a brief notice about this, saying that readers would like some things and dislike others. At first I joked about cutting back on article length by leaving articles in mid-sentence (Railroad Museum article and one by the Food Dude.) It seems that in a effort to cut back on paper pages they eliminated the real estate section on Saturday. It's in the so-called "replica" but not the real paper. We're old folks. Except for a few years living in Washington State, we've subscribed to the Oklahoman since 1967. Many young people probably won't care if they just read it just online, but we like a real paper newspaper.

I'd be interested to see a list of newsroom employees who were fired.

I checked my Saturday print copy, and the Real Estate section is combined with the Classifieds in section B. I'm guessing the Classifieds pay the most per inch, so the company wants to give them the highest visibility and put them on the front of the section.

I'm old now, and have been a subscriber since 1977. But, I read the print replica on my iPad every morning at 5, or whenever I get up. I don't want anything to do with walking out in the wet and cold to pick it up until I load it up in the car on my way to work.

Thread Information