Widgets Magazine

Thread: It Just Makes Sense to stay in OKC

okchornet Guest

Default It Just Makes Sense to stay in OKC

Years before the storm it never made sense to me that New Orleans and Louisiana had to agree to subsidize Hornets revenue year over year. In case you are not aware, if New Orleans fails to produce enough butts in the seats the city and state have each agreed to make up for the shortfall each year. A conservative viewpoint would be: if a business doesn't believe enough in a particular investment to commit their own money, when does it ever make sense for government to step in and try to force a fit? Therefore, since Oklahoma is clearly on more stable financial ground to support a team outright without government subsidies, it makes it a no brainer for the team to remain in OKC. Bottom line, even before the storm, it was a stretch to place the team in New Orleans. Now, with the flood of tax dollars we are all sending to rebuild New Orleans, it is ridiculous to consider government financing of professional sports. New Orleans' priority should now be providing basic necessities and rebuilding.

2. Default Re: It Just Makes Sense to stay in OKC

The team should have moved to OKC from Charlotte anyway. I wish Mr. Shinn would've known more about OKC four years ago and moved the team here. Who knows how successful it could've been. Thank goodness for David Stern suggesting OKC to Shinn or he would've looked elsewhere in markets that already have existing major league franchises. I'm also glad that Mayor Cornett was proactive in getting the NBA to look seriously at OKC. Finally, the major players on the East Coast are giving this city the respect it has fought so hard over the years to get. We are no longer overshadowed by Dallas.

Default Re: It Just Makes Sense to stay in OKC

I know the Hornets have a safety net this year in case it was unable to produce enough butts in the seat. Was that entirely a private venture? I nkow some of it was, but I thought there were some incentives from the city in that package, as well.

okchornet Guest

Default Re: It Just Makes Sense to stay in OKC

Subsidies and revenue guarantees were provided wholly by city and state government. No private monies we used to fund the relocation. You think venture capital money would be risked to put a team in New Orleans??? Funding lost causes for private gain is something only a crooked politician can pull off.

Thread Information