Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 53 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Restaurant closings

Starting from approximately August 2018.

Besos De Mezcal

Rock'n'Roll Pizza

Sussy's Bricktown

Urban Johnnie

Chae

Irma's

Barrel (reopening as a new concept)

Viceroy Grille (reopened as Cafe Cuvee)

Rock & Brews

Drunken Fry (reopening in a new location)

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Thank you TheTravellers

You da real mvp.gif

Mamasita's

Both Irma's

Out of all these, Chae is the only thing that surprised me.

Gotta believe this is just the first of many. Lots of good places that just don't seem very busy. Seems like we've had so many places open that a shakeout was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Gotta believe this is just the first of many. Lots of good places that just don't seem very busy. Seems like we've had so many places open that a shakeout was inevitable.
    Considering we have a list of about 100 places that have opened up in the past 8-9 years, and 20 or so are pretty regular places we go to, we still have 80 to go that we haven't eaten at yet, and eating out only once or twice a week, we just can't keep up (as Pete and others have said), so I'm guessing in the next few years, there'll probably be another 20-30 closings.

Oh yeah:

Guernsey Park (reopened as new concepts for noodles and poke)

How does Cultivar seem to be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Out of all these, Chae is the only thing that surprised me.
    I think Chae was the owners choice, and was doing fine otherwise? Somebody can correct me if that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I think Chae was the owners choice, and was doing fine otherwise? Somebody can correct me if that's not the case.
    Yeah, he ran for State Treasurer, I believe. And he also has Ur/Bun and All About Cha to handle.

How long was RocknRoll Pizza open, didn't they take over the Knuck's place? Same with Sussy's, how long did they last? I never got around to going to RocknRoll, but I had been to Sussy's 3 or 4 times, which lines up pretty well with the number of times we actually ate in Bricktown.

13. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Both have been open less than a year. RockNRoll open maybe 6 months. I hesitate to comment too much on either as I know the ownership of both, and like them to boot. But I had thoughts on both when they opened that unfortunately proved true. I’ve seen many places open in downtown over the years - with particular experience in Bricktown - and I’ve developed a pretty uncanny knack for predicting almost immediately which ones will succeed or fail, based on quick assessments regarding brand, operator, etc.

For instance - right down the way - I knew KD’s would be a smash hit, privately suspected Legacy Grill might have a tough time, believed and still believe that Charleston’s will be a long-term success. All in the very same space, run by the same group.

Part of my experience with this also involves my own retail efforts, which had some limited success and also some failures, and the post-mortem I did on those efforts, so that if nothing else I came away with lessons in business.

Regarding RockNRoll, as I mentioned above, I just think it was more of an opportunistic thing than an inspired effort. These are bar/club operators who are having what I read as great success downstairs with their patio bar. That bar is all about location. People in Bricktown and especially along the canal during the season are actively seeking a great outdoor place to drink. Inexplicably, those places are tough to find in Bricktown.

That patio is tailor-made to cater to those people. I was involved with the effort to bring Captain Norm’s there, not as an owner but in a bit of an advisory/helper role. Initially, Captain Norm’s was a smashing success. It would still be there today, except that the owner and the landlord ended up not getting along, so their lease wasn’t renewed, to put it as simply as possible. To the credit of the guys who now run Tipsy Tiki, they recognized exactly what worked at Norm’s, and Tipsy is largely a carbon copy, with upgrades. They also have a following from their other bars, and draw based on that. They definitely know how to run a bar. Unless they also get sideways with the property owner (not uncommon for bars, in fairness) , I’d expect that place to be there a long time.

I think they saw opportunity in the shuttered pizza place upstairs. They probably knew Knuck’s started out pretty strong. Of course Knuck’s was run by food people, and initially Knuck’s owners hustled their butts off to make it work, including tons of catering, delivery everywhere, etc. The problem at Knuck’s ended up coming from elsewhere; the owners over-extended with other operations, had other places which lost money, and ultimately ended up divorcing. Had it just been Knuck’s, run as it was at the beginning, it would STILL be Knuck’s.

That said, the location is not perfect. It’s not super visible, getting there is not intuitive, it’s on a (currently) dead upper level section of the canal, etc. Not a deal-killer, but I think whatever goes there needs to be clever/creative/different and will probably still have to hustle for business. It would grow easier if some of the surrounding upper-level space on that strip also got some quality tenants.

My impression of RnR Pizza was that they were sort of going through the motions because there was already a pizza place there, full equipment, big kitchen, etc., and because they wanted to offer food in the successful bar downstairs. So, if it turned into tough sledding (which it must have) it’s easy to cut the cord. I think that’s what happened there. I don’t think those guys are sentimental, and the6 try to focus on what they know works. There’s something to be said for that, when it comes to business.

I think in many ways Sussy’s was quite the opposite. The owner really believed in the concept, and had a passion for it. There was a ton of sentimentality surrounding it. I know that the line between fast casual and sit down dining drifted a bit and was at times tough to decipher, but a ton of thought (and capital) went into the place overall. The owner wasn’t an experienced restaurant guy, but he hired experience and the crew was good, at least initially. The place was very nicely appointed. The bar was nice. They absolutely NAILED the recipes, which stayed very true to the originals, but tasted fresher.

My personal take on the reason it didn’t succeed was that it probably isn’t the right location for the brand. It is a venerable, historic brand for OKC. Great overall reputation, especially for the recipes. But the people who care about that brand aren’t your typical Bricktown demographic (young, active, families, bar/club goers, suburban and exurban OKC metro, visitors from out of market). Most of these people have never even heard of Sussy’s. They have no connection to its history, or to old OKC. And most of them aren’t looking to fill up on pasta, to spend much on a meal, etc.

That brand - which I myself am partial to - resonates with an older crowd, a northwest OKC crowd. An affluent crowd. I think the same place if opened somewhere on north Western or north May (north even of the old Nomad) would absolutely KILL IT. Still.

But that crowd isn’t a regular Bricktown crowd. In fact, they are the parking grumblers, the “I don’t go downtown” folks, etc.. So in a nutshell I think Sussy’s was a beautiful idea, (mostly) very well executed, just in the wrong location for Sussy’s. If I were putting something in that location at this moment in time it would probably be a burger place of some sort (which Bricktown desperately needs). If I were a restaurant pro I’d do that tomorrow without a second thought.

And if the same owner wanted to put Sussy’s in the old Hideawy on Western, I’d probably be willing to invest in it.

Anyway, that’s my take on it.

I guess Happy House across from the Transit Center closed. They had some tasty food and was very reasonable. According to Yelp.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Both have been open less than a year. RockNRoll open maybe 6 months. I hesitate to comment too much on either as I know the ownership of both, and like them to boot. But I had thoughts on both when they opened that unfortunately proved true. I’ve seen many places open in downtown over the years - with particular experience in Bricktown - and I’ve developed a pretty uncanny knack for predicting almost immediately which ones will succeed or fail, based on quick assessments regarding brand, operator, etc.

For instance - right down the way - I knew KD’s would be a smash hit, privately suspected Legacy Grill might have a tough time, believed and still believe that Charleston’s will be a long-term success. All in the very same space, run by the same group.

Part of my experience with this also involves my own retail efforts, which had some limited success and also some failures, and the post-mortem I did on those efforts, so that if nothing else I came away with lessons in business.

Regarding RockNRoll, as I mentioned above, I just think it was more of an opportunistic thing than an inspired effort. These are bar/club operators who are having what I read as great success downstairs with their patio bar. That bar is all about location. People in Bricktown and especially along the canal during the season are actively seeking a great outdoor place to drink. Inexplicably, those places are tough to find in Bricktown.

That patio is tailor-made to cater to those people. I was involved with the effort to bring Captain Norm’s there, not as an owner but in a bit of an advisory/helper role. Initially, Captain Norm’s was a smashing success. It would still be there today, except that the owner and the landlord ended up not getting along, so their lease wasn’t renewed, to put it as simply as possible. To the credit of the guys who now run Tipsy Tiki, they recognized exactly what worked at Norm’s, and Tipsy is largely a carbon copy, with upgrades. They also have a following from their other bars, and draw based on that. They definitely know how to run a bar. Unless they also get sideways with the property owner (not uncommon for bars, in fairness) , I’d expect that place to be there a long time.

I think they saw opportunity in the shuttered pizza place upstairs. They probably knew Knuck’s started out pretty strong. Of course Knuck’s was run by food people, and initially Knuck’s owners hustled their butts off to make it work, including tons of catering, delivery everywhere, etc. The problem at Knuck’s ended up coming from elsewhere; the owners over-extended with other operations, had other places which lost money, and ultimately ended up divorcing. Had it just been Knuck’s, run as it was at the beginning, it would STILL be Knuck’s.

That said, the location is not perfect. It’s not super visible, getting there is not intuitive, it’s on a (currently) dead upper level section of the canal, etc. Not a deal-killer, but I think whatever goes there needs to be clever/creative/different and will probably still have to hustle for business. It would grow easier if some of the surrounding upper-level space on that strip also got some quality tenants.

My impression of RnR Pizza was that they were sort of going through the motions because there was already a pizza place there, full equipment, big kitchen, etc., and because they wanted to offer food in the successful bar downstairs. So, if it turned into tough sledding (which it must have) it’s easy to cut the cord. I think that’s what happened there. I don’t think those guys are sentimental, and the6 try to focus on what they know works. There’s something to be said for that, when it comes to business.

I think in many ways Sussy’s was quite the opposite. The owner really believed in the concept, and had a passion for it. There was a ton of sentimentality surrounding it. I know that the line between fast casual and sit down dining drifted a bit and was at times tough to decipher, but a ton of thought (and capital) went into the place overall. The owner wasn’t an experienced restaurant guy, but he hired experience and the crew was good, at least initially. The place was very nicely appointed. The bar was nice. They absolutely NAILED the recipes, which stayed very true to the originals, but tasted fresher.

My personal take on the reason it didn’t succeed was that it probably isn’t the right location for the brand. It is a venerable, historic brand for OKC. Great overall reputation, especially for the recipes. But the people who care about that brand aren’t your typical Bricktown demographic (young, active, families, bar/club goers, suburban and exurban OKC metro, visitors from out of market). Most of these people have never even heard of Sussy’s. They have no connection to its history, or to old OKC. And most of them aren’t looking to fill up on pasta, to spend much on a meal, etc.

That brand - which I myself am partial to - resonates with an older crowd, a northwest OKC crowd. An affluent crowd. I think the same place if opened somewhere on north Western or north May (north even of the old Nomad) would absolutely KILL IT. Still.

But that crowd isn’t a regular Bricktown crowd. In fact, they are the parking grumblers, the “I don’t go downtown” folks, etc.. So in a nutshell I think Sussy’s was a beautiful idea, (mostly) very well executed, just in the wrong location for Sussy’s. If I were putting something in that location at this moment in time it would probably be a burger place of some sort (which Bricktown desperately needs). If I were a restaurant pro I’d do that tomorrow without a second thought.

And if the same owner wanted to put Sussy’s in the old Hideawy on Western, I’d probably be willing to invest in it.

Urbanized, I always enjoy reading your posts and responses across all threads. You get it.

I totally agree on your Sussy's assessment. You're absolutely right, it would be a big hit located outside of Bricktown, even on N Western.

Cheers.

The Rock & Brew looks like it hasn't had any grounds maintenance done since they shut down, and it's a giant mess of overgrown weeds all around that building. Does anyone actually still own the building and can the city do something to force some basic maintenance to make that section of the block not look like crap?

This would be terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The Rock & Brew looks like it hasn't had any grounds maintenance done since they shut down, and it's a giant mess of overgrown weeds all around that building. Does anyone actually still own the building and can the city do something to force some basic maintenance to make that section of the block not look like crap?
    Report it to the Action Center: https://okc.gov/residents/action-center

I would have probably made it there when back in town at a more convenient location than Bricktown/Deep Deuce. We just don't make it down there too often when back in town. Of course not being able to travel out of state (or really even a few hours out of town) for the two years prior to this past April limited our chances of going there. I took my wife to The Nomad years ago and she really liked it. That was the first time since I had moved to Austin in 2003 that I had been there. Went often when I lived in OKC in Mayfair West. Fleetwood pizza to go often back then.

20. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Thanks, MagzOK

I don’t believe this place is closing anytime soon but Yuzo had me worried there for a bit. It has become one of our top 5 favorite restaurants in OKC but like everyone else, it’s hard to get everything into your regular rotation esp. with newer restaurants that we have yet to try. It’s probably been 4-5 months since we’ve been but went for lunch last week. I got there right as they opened at 11am and was the first customer. While waiting for my wife to get there, I started reading yelp bc I was curious if they still had good reviews. I read some good reviews and noticed that a few people said the restaurant was empty while they were dining. That had me worried as I looked up and noticed that it was still empty like the moment I got there. People started to slowly trickle in, including my wife. I ordered early and the food arrived just in time as my wife sat down. I’m sure the streetcar construction really crushed business for a time there.

Everything we ordered was excellent as always. My son loves seaweed salad and he killed that side order. Chicken karaage is, without a doubt, the best in OKC. I’m not sure if it was a one time deal, but the portion was huge and larger than what we would normally get. There were times in the past where I felt like that portion was a little small for the price but I was always willing to pay for the quality. My wife got the poke bowl and it was delicious as always. For $14, it’s on the high end. But the quality, quantity, and presentation made it worth the price. It’s easily our favorite poke bowl in OKC. I got garlic ramen and it was great. I’m no ramen expert so I cant say that it’s any better than say, Tamaashi. Its probably not as good, but for a place that doesn’t specialize in ramen, it was very good.

While we were eating, we noticed more people trickling in. By the time we left, there were only 2 tables open including ours. Bar was empty but it was 1230pm. I’m really hoping more and more people try them, as I do not think anyone will be disappointed with the food. Sure, it’s a little expensive as our ticket with tip came out to like $50. For us, that wouldnt be manageable to do everyday for lunch. If there wasn’t so many other places to try, we could easily do once a week or every other week. If you have not Yuzoyet, you should do so. We need to make sure that the great restaurants survive in OKC, which seems to have places opening and shutting down more often than in the past.

Caffe Pranzo at 9622 N. May closed a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Caffe Pranzo at 9622 N. May closed a few days ago.
    This is a little sad as I really enjoyed this little gem. However, I never had seen them busy. Usually there was only ever one other table when I was there. Their main dishes were a tad on the higher side of prices, but I never had a bad dish. I liked that they had served Carnegie Deli out of NYC cheesecake before the deli was shut down.

^^

Well shoot. We used to enjoy walking over there in nice weather, and could usually find a bogo coupon on groupon or somewhere to make it a little more affordable.

All about pho closed. Mentioned I think in the Chigama thread.

Thread Information