Widgets Magazine
Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1380

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Saw today that The Catch at Belle Isle has closed. Asked a friend of a friend who said it was their least profitable location

Quote Originally Posted by foldequity View Post
    Saw today that The Catch at Belle Isle has closed. Asked a friend of a friend who said it was their least profitable location
    Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

It wasn't bad, but it also didn't really offer anything interesting and since so much of it was fried it's like...am I really getting something that different than fast food? And when you then factor in prices it was definitely not a good get.

Also, that strip center has had a rough go of it the last 5ish years. Seems like they're struggling to find the right type of tenants. I'd love to see this thing dozed so that Wal-Mart could have more parking while a 4-6 story garage gets built in front of Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

It wasn't bad, but it also didn't really offer anything interesting and since so much of it was fried it's like...am I really getting something that different than fast food? And when you then factor in prices it was definitely not a good get.

Also, that strip center has had a rough go of it the last 5ish years. Seems like they're struggling to find the right type of tenants. I'd love to see this thing dozed so that Wal-Mart could have more parking while a 4-6 story garage gets built in front of Wal-Mart.
    I’d rather see the Walmart get razed along with the entire development and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean21 View Post
    I’d rather see the Walmart get razed along with the entire development and try again.
    Meh. People love to complain about Walmart -- and I get it, to a certain extent -- but this particular location is an important grocery store for the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean21 View Post
    That's not ever going to happen. Anyway, back to restaurant closures.

It appears that Yuzo Sushi and Tapas is biting the dust today.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    That’s unfortunate. We used to be regulars there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Meh. People love to complain about Walmart -- and I get it, to a certain extent -- but this particular location is an important grocery store for the core.
    It’s busy all the time. Probably because so many people don’t like it. Lol

I used to hate Walmart just because it’s popular to hate on Walmart but now not having many of them in LA having to drive to Burbank or Van Nuys. Now I love them and their outdoor gear brand. I wish Hollywood or the west side would get one.

10. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

The access situation for that strip mall is brutal. I think the intersection really hurts it since WB NW EXPY traffic can’t turn right (legally). It’s supposed to overshoot and then cut back through the mall parking lot.

Of course, it helps to be right next to a Walmart, but I would guess that the ven diagram of walmart shoppers and, say, Peiwei Patrons, is pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    The access situation for that strip mall is brutal. I think the intersection really hurts it since WB NW EXPY traffic can’t turn right (legally). It’s supposed to overshoot and then cut back through the mall parking lot.

Of course, it helps to be right next to a Walmart, but I would guess that the ven diagram of walmart shoppers and, say, Peiwei Patrons, is pretty small.
    90%+ of WB traffic crossing the intersection you referenced would have first gone through the Classen/NWX intersection where they should have gone north on Classen to turn west onto Belle Isle Blvd. There aren't really access issues and the strip centers by Chili's even landed a stand alone Bath and Body Works.

Jamba Juice, Freebirds, now The Catch and I think another restaurant has failed here in the last 10 years (along with quite a bit of retail). Pei Wei has been there almost 15 years (or maybe longer?) so it's not like you can't have success - maybe it's because Pei Wei has a bigger space that makes rent easier manage against revenue.

^pei wei has been in that location for around 20 years... i started working in the area in february of 2004 and our office ate there fairly regularly. obviously, the point stands that it's possible to succeed in this location.

I really liked The Catch.

Only place in the area to get counter-service catfish and they made everything fresh. I'll miss it.

14. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    This is not surprising. Went there earlier this year, and while the food was good, the atmosphere and overall experiences was really off. Kinda seem like a candidate for Restaurant Impossible. Just didn't really have an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    This is not surprising. Went there earlier this year, and while the food was good, the atmosphere and overall experiences was really off. Kinda seem like a candidate for Restaurant Impossible. Just didn't really have an identity.
    I loved the food there but the space was too big, which made it feel dead more often than not.

Also, they did almost nothing to promote themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I loved the food there but the space was too big, which made it feel dead more often than not.

Also, they did almost nothing to promote themselves.
    Yep, and they may have just outlived their useful life - we ate there a few times after they opened, but now that there are billions of restaurants that have opened since they did, we just didn't get there again.

17. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Someone over on reddit said they had walked by and a sign on the door said they had failed to pay taxes

I liked the Yuzo sign/logo. It will be missed.

The food? Never ate there.

Just saw Oak & Ore is closing. December 2nd will be their last day.

Very sad news. They were such an integral part of the Plaza, but the last time we were in there there was hardly anybody there.

HangryHippo Guest

Noo! Damn it.

So strange all these places are closing just before the holidays.

Maybe that's a slow time for restaurants, as people tend to cook at home.

Edie's in Penn Square is closed. Sign says Cantaritos Mexican Grill is coming soon.

Hopefully their spot in the Collective is going. I liked them in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

Very sad news. They were such an integral part of the Plaza, but the last time we were in there there was hardly anybody there.
    Dang we just walked by there on Saturday after having dinner at Ma der lao and my wife remarked she couldn't believe it was still open. Spoke too soon. Lot of places closing lately and this is heading into the best time of the year. December can cover up a lot of mediocre months for many places. I wonder if we are just at a certain level of saturation now with so many great places or if it's more a sign of the shaky economy/inflation driven.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

amazed it has lasted this long ..

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Dang we just walked by there on Saturday after having dinner at Ma der lao and my wife remarked she couldn't believe it was still open. Spoke too soon. Lot of places closing lately and this is heading into the best time of the year. December can cover up a lot of mediocre months for many places. I wonder if we are just at a certain level of saturation now with so many great places or if it's more a sign of the shaky economy/inflation driven.
    Probably more of a sign of the shaky economy/rates/inflation etc. I will say it would be a bigger concern if higher-end concepts were closing right now as a place like Oak and Ore is not going to be booking many holiday parties in comparison to something like Stock & Bond.

Hope people can find work around the holidays because November is a hard time to lose your job.

Thread Information