Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

1. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A ray of hope from the OKCTalk Facebook page:

That would be great! I hate to see Ann's go away. And I would think being right next door Maxey might know enough employees to get them to stay and keep things the same. Or get them back to the way it was in Ann's heyday.

Default Re: Restaurant closings

It's needed some serious love for quite a while.

Hopefully new operators can spruce it up a little and have good food quality.

3. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Darn l wanted to tempt one more heart attack when l was in town. The last 2 times we tried to go, they were closed due to plumbing problems.

I may have to get a Del Rancho steak sandwich supreme instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Darn l wanted to tempt one more heart attack when l was in town. The last 2 times we tried to go, they were closed due to plumbing problems.

I may have to get a Del Rancho steak sandwich supreme instead.
    Chuck Wagon on 10th & Meridian is still really good and my go-to for CFS.

Wouldn't that be the Chuck House?

Also been our go-to ever since we got back to OKC in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by publicenemy1925 View Post
    Wouldn't that be the Chuck House?
    Yes, I meant Chuck House.

It's really good and reasonable. Pretty old-school with order-from-the-table phones but also a drive-thru.

If you don't mind driving, Kendall's down in Noble is really great as well. Hoping it's safe to get back there later this year.

9. Default Re: Restaurant closings

The best chicken fried steak is at Cheever's. Their jalapeño gravy is a work of art.

+1 for Kendalls.

I have been to Kendall's several times but somebody on this group said that Tiffany's (right across the street from Kendall's) is better. I like Kendall's but maybe someday I will give Tiffany's.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    The best chicken fried steak is at Cheever's. Their jalapeño gravy is a work of art.
    I wasn't too impressed with it the one time I had it, but all their other stuff is pretty good, need to try it again. Also, their CFS is $5 more at lunch ($10 more at dinner) than Chuck House, but it's worth it for the atmosphere, which is non-existent at Chuck House.

13. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I wasn't too impressed with it the one time I had it, but all their other stuff is pretty good, need to try it again. Also, their CFS is $5 more at lunch ($10 more at dinner) than Chuck House, but it's worth it for the atmosphere, which is non-existent at Chuck House.

I'd pay $5 extra just for the gravy. I've never had the lunch, bit the dinner steak is big enough for two meals.

14. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I was planning on getting takeout at Phillyhoma for lunch today, but yelp is reporting that it has closed. Can anyone confirm?

I was planning on getting takeout at Phillyhoma for lunch today, but yelp is reporting that it has closed. Can anyone confirm?
    which location?

With respect, I've found that a phone call to the establishment in question leads to the quickest and most accurate information.

17. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    which location?
    74th St

74th St
    i *thought* i saw cars over there last weekend but they haven't posted on facebook since october. before that, they were posting pretty religiously.

Both Google and Yelp report it is permanently closed. ☹️

The Chisholm Creek location of Chicken Salad Chick is closed. That was fast. Just opened last fall I believe.

I just drove by Phillyhoma on SW 74/Walnut Creek Center and can absolutely confirm it is gone. Looks like it has been gone a while, with "for lease" sign in place. These guys made a pretty good cheese steak, hate to see it fail.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I just drove by Phillyhoma on SW 74/Walnut Creek Center and can absolutely confirm it is gone. Looks like it has been gone a while, with "for lease" sign in place. These guys made a pretty good cheese steak, hate to see it fail.
    It's odd cause it seemed like they were set for expansion and bad luck with the timing.

Drove by the City Bites on NW 59th/May and it's closed! Sign's gone, completely closed, was open last week, I thought. Looked at their website and it's not listed and it looks like the one on Western between 63rd and Wilshire's closed too, they have no restaurants in OKC proper anymore, weird. Sad the 59th one closed, we had been going to it for decades...

24. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Drove by the City Bites on NW 59th/May and it's closed! Sign's gone, completely closed, was open last week, I thought. Looked at their website and it's not listed and it looks like the one on Western between 63rd and Wilshire's closed too, they have no restaurants in OKC proper anymore, weird. Sad the 59th one closed, we had been going to it for decades...
    Wow! My wife of 23 years and I went to 59th & May a lot when we lived around there. One of our first lunches together was in the booth nearest the restrooms and I explained to her she couldn't get serious because I was NOT getting married again. Obviously that changed!

We also were early fans of City Bites, when they started in Edmond. But that was before Firehouse, Jersey Mikes, McAlister's, Jimmie John's, not to mention a jillion Subway stores... tough competition.

Thread Information