Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by corntortillas View Post
    Has it already been reported that City + State has a sign on door that says they have currently suspended full service?
    I never tried that place.

Sounds like I never will!

2. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I drove by The Frosted Mug a few days ago and they were taking the signs down. But now it has new The Mug signage. And the changeable sign says Same Place, New Attitude.

3. Default Re: Restaurant closings

This is fairly old news, but Outta da Box in the OKSea shipping containers in Deep Deuce closed a few months ago after a fairly short life--posted a sign that they were temporarily closed due to a family medical emergency and then never reopened. Sadly, never saw the place that busy, so not sure how long they could have lasted--really nice family though. The grandfather Lafayette was enjoyable to chat with.

Interestingly, the small suite "1B" next to it was getting renovated and even got signage put up as "Sips n Such." Then nothing for a month. Now there is an "Available' sign on it. So looks like it fell through. I do wish Deep Deuce really had a corner shop of some kind (looking at you Samir's), so maybe one of these small suites can eventually open up as one with enough population density.

The Aloft has also been renovating their ground level and has signs up for a Levitate Grill, although it has been a couple of months of little-to-no-movement and still no official announcement of opening. I suspect it is due to staffing shortages, but could be any number of reasons.

It is interesting seeing a bit of the contrast in Deep Deuce, existing places like Blok (aka Anchor Down), Willow, Black Walnut, Stag, Bar Cicchetti, Deep Deuce Grill, etc. seem to have steady crowds, but it seems new places struggle or can't even reach opening. Maybe the lot that was going to be "LEVEL East" needs to get developed to bring more people in so more business can be supported. The nearly $1mm townhouses going up on 3rd St. are nice to look at, and while I am glad those are filling up and building out (still impresses me people can afford those), they aren't going to bring the population density that more multi-family developments would.

The Industry Gastropub in Moore is active again! After weeks (months?).of sitting idle and a dumpster in front seemingly tearing stuff out, a "Now Hiring" sign is up and it appears someone is trying again with this property.

5. Default Re: Restaurant closings

El Pollo Chulo at NW 50th and MacArthur has recently closed.

Quote Originally Posted by liirogue View Post
    El Pollo Chulo at NW 50th and MacArthur has recently closed.
    They still have one location at SW 78th & Western.

I tried the location on 50th once and was disappointed and never went back. I was hoping for something like El Polo Loco, but IMO it wasn't in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They still have one location at SW 78th & Western.

I tried the location on 50th once and was disappointed and never went back. I was hoping for something like El Polo Loco, but IMO it wasn't in the same league.
    i'm almost 100% certain the sw okc location has been closed for a while now. totally agree that it was pretty disappointing.

8. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I felt pretty much the same way about El Pollo Chulo.... The building was nicer than any of the El Primo Locos around town but I preferred El Primo Loco.

Brown's Bakery closing after 77 years as the owner is retiring. Last day will be July 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Brown's Bakery closing after 77 years as the owner is retiring. Last day will be July 8.
    hopefully the building sells quickly and something much better is developed on that entire lot

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    hopefully the building sells quickly and something much better is developed on that entire lot
    I believe it is under contract and I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than Midtown Renaissance.

I believe it is under contract and I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than Midtown Renaissance.
    that would be great news ..

13. Default Re: Restaurant closings

The Oklahoma Bicycle Society will be at a loss. They've had a donut ride on Saturday mornings to Brown's for as long as I can remember.

It appears Chae Cafe and Eatery at 73rd and N. Western has closed.

HangryHippo Guest

No! I need the oxtail soup like I need air.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    No! I need the oxtail soup like I need air.
    Are you kidding me?! That oxtail soup is so awesome. Between that and the Brown's sour cream donuts going away I'm heartbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Brown's Bakery will not be closing and will be relocating since the owner's brother wants to keep the business alive which is great news!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/br...03b63bc1&ei=21

Browns Bakery is closing and they already sold the building. The brother stated that he wants to reopen in a new location, but we all know how that goes. He may change his mind after he takes a break and he realizes how much work it will be to open a new location.

19. Default Re: Restaurant closings

The Service Station in Norman (Campus Corner) is closing at the end of July after 22 years. Owners are retiring

20. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The Service Station in Norman (Campus Corner) is closing at the end of July after 22 years. Owners are retiring
    Ah man!!! I'm going to have to get in there at least once.

I wonder if this is another sign that big changes are brewing on Campus Corner?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I remember going there in the early 80's. It has been in business longer than 22 years. Since covid it was never busy in the times I went by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I remember going there in the early 80's. It has been in business longer than 22 years. Since covid it was never busy in the times I went by.
    i was thinking the same thing... i went there fairly regularly in college in the mid to late 90's. maybe it changed hands in the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Since covid it was never busy in the times I went by.
    i used to go quite regularly back in the late 2000's and early 2010's. but honestly. until just now hearing it is closing, i had completely forgot out it, and it was not even on my list of places to visit after covid. kind of mad at myself for it somehow completely skipping my mind

I wonder if this is another sign that big changes are brewing on Campus Corner?
    They have, or have had, the building listed for sale for around $1mil. for quite a while. I know I was forwarded the listing last fall.

Thread Information