Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I just looked on their FB page and they clearly state they decided to close in September. The post you reference about reopening relates to their new Jerkhouse location in NW OKC.

https://www.facebook.com/10006347053...hXFUwc4pCGYNl/
    Ah gotcha. They also have a Jerkhouse page so that's confusing. I'll have to go try them out.

2. Default Re: Restaurant closings

BBQ game has changed in OKC since Earl's was the king of BBQ in OKC.

Earl's was never better than average but they had multiple, nice, locations so they were very visible. Didn't hurt that they were able to get "Best of" every year in the Gazette either.

I never had a bad meal there but I also never had a meal that made me crave going there.... And honestly I usually got the Prairie Fire Wings when we went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    BBQ game has changed in OKC since Earl's was the king of BBQ in OKC.

Earl's was never better than average but they had multiple, nice, locations so they were very visible. Didn't hurt that they were able to get "Best of" every year in the Gazette either.

I never had a bad meal there but I also never had a meal that made me crave going there.... And honestly I usually got the Prairie Fire Wings when we went there.
    Their BBQ is pretty standard, as well as most of their sides, so I finally tried their burger and was impressed. Nice size, taste, and char on it - it's the only thing I'll eat there if I have to go there (family function, so had to go, but at least I can get what I consider decent food there ).

4. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Their BBQ is pretty standard, as well as most of their sides, so I finally tried their burger and was impressed. Nice size, taste, and char on it - it's the only thing I'll eat there if I have to go there (family function, so had to go, but at least I can get what I consider decent food there ).
    I don't think I ever tried the burger but it's the one thing I hear most people comment on being a favorite there.

I don't think I ever tried the burger but it's the one thing I hear most people comment on being a favorite there.
    I liked the wings and the poppers. The baked potatoes were very popular with my staff

It isn't a fancy burger and isn't something I don't think couldn't be replicated at home, but it is very thick and juicy. It is like the definition of a cheeseburger taken to its bare basics and done pretty well. That is unless they've changed it as someone commented upthread. I haven't had one in a long time.

I do remember the wings being pretty good as well.

The baked potatoes were very popular with my staff
    Oh yeah! Get that thing fully loaded and it was good stuff. Basically, everything but the BBQ is pretty good lol.

The Domino's Pizza on S Western is closing temporarily for a remodel - looks like they're removing the dine-in space that was curiously added to a bunch of Dominoes during a "retheming" of the brand a few years ago. I could never figure out why they would think people would suddenly want to eat "in" a Dominos, but whatever the motivation it appears the idea is being reversed.

Neon Coffee in the Plaza District just posted on their Instagram that Saturday will be their last day of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Neon Coffee in the Plaza District just posted on their Instagram that Saturday will be their last day of business.
    Wow.

That was the 2nd concept to go in there. There was an Empire Slice Shop for a while.

You'd think a coffee place would do great in the Plaza.

on dec. 5th, victoria's announced that they are closing their south okc restaurant due to "staffing shortages."

https://www.facebook.com/victoriaspastasouthokc/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow.

That was the 2nd concept to go in there. There was an Empire Slice Shop for a while.

You'd think a coffee place would do great in the Plaza.
    I think once the voters pass recreational in the spring, a traditional Amsterdam “coffee” house would absolutely kill it in the plaza

12. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Had concerns about their longevity when they started changing their hours and then started closing on Tuesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    on dec. 5th, victoria's announced that they are closing their south okc restaurant due to "staffing shortages."

https://www.facebook.com/victoriaspastasouthokc/
    Victoria's had a non-Norman location?!?
    Once again, news that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Victoria's had a non-Norman location?!?
    Once again, news that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!
    They had been in business there for darned near ten years? Funny thing is my family ate there several times and tried to give it every chance, but we just were never big fans. Always disappointing to see a popular place go. They're still in the process of taking the place apart. The site already has a "Restaurant Site For Lease" sign up.

15. Default Re: Restaurant closings

It looks like the Fuddrucker's in Tulsa has closed. that was the last location in Oklahoma.

Interestingly, Fudd's had announced plans for an OKC location back in 2006. Searching for updates on that development is how I discovered OKCTalk.

It is sounding more and more likely that both Chicken Salad Chicks in the MSA are permanently closed.

I would guess the pricing situation for eggs, chickens, labor, etc. was not exactly helpful to their cause.

Blog Entries

^The Chicken Salad Chick on 63rd seemed very busy the times I was ever there at lunch. That surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    It is sounding more and more likely that both Chicken Salad Chicks in the MSA are permanently closed.

I would guess the pricing situation for eggs, chickens, labor, etc. was not exactly helpful to their cause.
    Yet they continue to expand nationally. Problem must be the local operator.

Chicken Salad Chick continues to expand into new markets | Chain Store Age
    https://chainstoreage.com/chicken-sa...nd-new-markets

Chicken Salad Chick has closed ALL locations in Oklahoma (including the one in South Tulsa and the one in Broken Arrow).

Every business that started out in that building is now closed- hopdoddy, slapfish, and now chicken salad chick.

^forgot about the great clips that was in there that also closed

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    Every business that started out in that building is now closed- hopdoddy, slapfish, and now chicken salad chick.
    There are 2 buildings.

The one to the west had Hopdoddy and Slapfish. It now has Fidelity Investments, Great Clips (I guess now closed) and Empire.

The east building has Mercy Healthcare (still operating) and Chicken Salad Chick.

A free-standing Starbucks is between the two buildings.

We were wondering why both the 63rd and Edmond locations hadn't reopened after posting signs about being closed between Christmas and New Year's. Initially we thought maybe they employ a lot of college kids and so didn't have the staffing over the holiday. My mother and aunt will not be happy as they both have over $50 in gift cards or something that they were hoping to use.

You might have them reach out to the company and see if they’d be willing to let them trade in the gift cards for Blaze Pizza gift cards, which is owned by the same PE firm and has a location up on Memorial plus another on 29th Street in MWC. No guarantees they’d go for it, but could be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    You might have them reach out to the company and see if they’d be willing to let them trade in the gift cards for Blaze Pizza gift cards, which is owned by the same PE firm and has a location up on Memorial plus another on 29th Street in MWC. No guarantees they’d go for it, but could be worth a shot.
    ^^
    That's a great idea.

Thread Information