Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 45464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1339

Thread: Restaurant closings

1. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I heard the closure was over not being able to reach an agreement with the landlord.

But that could easily translate to "We're not making enough profit here to pay the rent. Can you lower it?".

Also as someone mentioned above I'm surprised the Drum Room has hung on this long. The one they tried in MWC didn't last long and while I enjoy their chicken and waffle and hit them up when I'm in OKC. It's rare that they have more than 1 or 2 other tables seated when I've been there for lunch.

Maybe they do a better dinner business but not sure how they are paying the help at lunch.

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That, and it was a 6.5/10 restaurant which had opened in a world where that was good enough to survive in OKC, and now has closed in a world where that is no longer the case. In the same vein, I am amazed that The Drum Room four blocks to the south is still kicking around.
    Last time we went, they were a 2.5 out of 10. Been going there since they opened a couple of times a year at least, and the brisket calzone had maybe 1 oz of meat on it, they gave my wife a veggie calzone instead of supreme, and it was generally just not good service (no checking back, almost flung the plates on the table, etc.). Guess it's pretty much Gusto for pizza for us now.

And yes, I'm amazed that the Drum Room is still going, wasn't impressed when we ate there a long time ago, never been back.

3. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That, and it was a 6.5/10 restaurant which had opened in a world where that was good enough to survive in OKC, and now has closed in a world where that is no longer the case. In the same vein, I am amazed that The Drum Room four blocks to the south is still kicking around.
    Wasn't impressed with Drum Room the first time a long time ago. Gave it a second chance last year and it was not good at all. When we were there it seemed some locals prefer sitting at the bar. Might be an overflow for Sipango Lounge. I will never be back to spend my money there though. I miss the old Wedge!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Wasn't impressed with Drum Room the first time a long time ago. Gave it a second chance last year and it was not good at all. When we were there it seemed some locals prefer sitting at the bar. Might be an overflow for Sipango Lounge. I will never be back to spend my money there though. I miss the old Wedge!
    Since Sipango doesn't serve food they will let people take carryout from Drum Room and bring it over. I've done that a couple times and its always been ok. Definitely wouldn't plan a trip there to eat.

Railyard1884 in the Railyard in downtown Edmond just announced they are closing

6. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This didn't surprise me at all, though it is a shame. Cost of rent at the Railyard is crazy and 1884 was constantly dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's too bad. The Railyard as a whole has really lost a lot of what it had going early on when it opened. Almost nightly it was full of families eating and playing in the back area, meanwhile the drinks were flowing from 1884. At the Railyard, our family loved it as all of us found what we each wanted and then would meet at a table and eat together. 1884 served really good food and charcuterie boards, then they stopped serving hot food, then they stopped serving food, then they stopped allowing people to bring in food from other places, then stopped allowing kids in all together. The last time we went -- maybe a little over a year ago -- the server told me the owners were wanting to focus on full time bar service only. But in this "family" style environment the Railyard supposedly was built for, 1884 has really been in a downhill spiral to it's demise caused by it's own doing. We would meet our neighbors there and we dad's would have really good drinks from the bar and our wives would be merry with wine, allthewhile we're all sitting in there eating even with our kids who would then retire to the outdoor playing area while we continued our merry conversing over more drinks. Some great Friday and Saturday nights have been had there.

But the Railyard sadly isn't what it once was. Places have moved out with nothing really good filling it back in. I'm curious to see what will go into the 1884 space, if anything. So much potential here that was, then it slowly faded away with changes. We've really enjoyed going to the Ice House project on the other side of the tracks, however even with the superb dining over there, the space at the Railyard is unmatched.

RIP 1884.

Hot take, but I’ve always kind of thought the railyard sucked. That was my personal opinion. I did notice it decline and when it first opened, It’s success. I was happy to see it as it was a sign of a vibrant downtown Edmond.

As for the family friendly crap I couldn’t care less there’s enough of that around town. Not every place needs to be family friendly. Hell I’d support an Amsterdam red light district in Edmond. Not that it’ll ever happen. I believe 1884 would be the first of the concepts that owned by the same group that owns the social and several other recently opened places in Oklahoma City, Norman and Edmond to close.

Maybe once all the other proposed developments in downtown, Edmond, that are currently either under construction or planned are wrapped up this place will “mature” a bit and find its way.

9. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I have heard that Remix Ramen is good and we just tried Vignola's (Italian) and it was great. So the Railyard isn't dead yet. No matter where you are, the restaurant business is hard!

10. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    That's too bad. The Railyard as a whole has really lost a lot of what it had going early on when it opened. Almost nightly it was full of families eating and playing in the back area, meanwhile the drinks were flowing from 1884. At the Railyard, our family loved it as all of us found what we each wanted and then would meet at a table and eat together. 1884 served really good food and charcuterie boards, then they stopped serving hot food, then they stopped serving food, then they stopped allowing people to bring in food from other places, then stopped allowing kids in all together. The last time we went -- maybe a little over a year ago -- the server told me the owners were wanting to focus on full time bar service only. But in this "family" style environment the Railyard supposedly was built for, 1884 has really been in a downhill spiral to it's demise caused by it's own doing. We would meet our neighbors there and we dad's would have really good drinks from the bar and our wives would be merry with wine, allthewhile we're all sitting in there eating even with our kids who would then retire to the outdoor playing area while we continued our merry conversing over more drinks. Some great Friday and Saturday nights have been had there.

But the Railyard sadly isn't what it once was. Places have moved out with nothing really good filling it back in. I'm curious to see what will go into the 1884 space, if anything. So much potential here that was, then it slowly faded away with changes. We've really enjoyed going to the Ice House project on the other side of the tracks, however even with the superb dining over there, the space at the Railyard is unmatched.

RIP 1884.
    i've heard that the new italian place is actually pretty fire, but yeah most of these food hall places are trying to get Chisholm Creek / Route 66 Landing type face rents and that doesn't really work in a high inflation environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I have heard that Remix Ramen is good and we just tried Vignola's (Italian) and it was great. So the Railyard isn't dead yet. No matter where you are, the restaurant business is hard!
    Remix is fantastic but it is pricey so we don't eat there often... I really wonder how long it'll last because it's not very busy any time we stop by.

Hot tamale in the underground concourse will be closing for 5 whole months. No renovations or anything. Not sure the reason for a lengthy closure.

In relation to closings I've been to a couple local places recently where prices are going down! Had lunch at Zarates in Edmond last week and server mentioned new menu with some price reductions and we grabbed a pizza from Dado's Sunday night and the base price was $24 not $28! What had been a final price in the $30's (which is pretty high) was in the high $20's which is a big deal. Hopefully we'll see some more relief with food prices this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    I highly doubt it
    thank you for your well informed and resourced opinion.

yes, we should start to see prices of more foods coming down. we are already starting to see the base purchase price for basics like sugar, corn and soybeans leveling off, and the thought is that with the upcoming harvest (for corn and wheat) to actually start to see prices come down. this should start to cause some lower price costs on other foods that use these staples as their main ingredients. what doesn't seem to be coming down is the price of "ready to go" meals at grocery stores, and food at restaurants. there is some talk that these are also going to have to start going down or people will even more transition back to not going out to eat. so it's going to be an interesting market going forward. i suspect we will see a few restaurant closures that happen solely because of stubborn ownership refusing to lower prices to compete when other do.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckchuck View Post
    Hot tamale in the underground concourse will be closing for 5 whole months. No renovations or anything. Not sure the reason for a lengthy closure.
    Whaaat, I get the ceasar chavez salad from there basically anytime I forget to meal prep- that's brutal

16. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Restaurants are closing or turning to self-serve models to cut costs everywhere. Its not just an OKC problem. Denver lost something like 140 in 2023 including some old and very high profile locations.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Remix is fantastic but it is pricey so we don't eat there often... I really wonder how long it'll last because it's not very busy any time we stop by.
    The Rail Yard is a great concept, but as you mentioned it has never been busy all the times we have stopped by. It's location is "hidden" in downtown Edmond, I think if it was closer to UCO or more visible from 2nd Street it would be popular. The local food options are more appealing than the typical fast food options that dot 2nd street by UCO, Target, and Walmart Market. Empire Slice next door seems to always be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    The Rail Yard is a great concept, but as you mentioned it has never been busy all the times we have stopped by. Its the location is "hidden" in downtown Edmond, I think if it was closer to UCO or more visible from 2nd Street it would be popular. The local food options are more appealing than the typical fast food options that dot 2nd street by UCO, Target, and Walmart Market. Empire Slice next door seems to always be doing well.
    all the new apartments nearby will help

that's a shame about 'off the hook'... i really liked their food and went to the one on meridian fairly regularly before covid shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    This one hurts. Their seafood gumbo was possibly the best in OKC.

Blog Entries

^Did I see they are possibly keeping the food truck?

Yes, but for some reason they are rebranding it 'Corey B. Cookin’'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    That sucks. One less food choice in the area. I work across Broadway Extension and I get really tired of McDonalds and Subway. I refuse to eat at the overpriced and mediocre Chicken n Pickle

I think the Bibbs smokehouse in Bricktown, in the Mantel Spot, seems to be closed. I could not find any info.
    It says temporary closed on google.

25. Default Re: Restaurant closings

They are- just asked the owners.
    They are continuing In MWC.
    This location made money but some other issues arose and they made the smart decision to shut it down.

Thread Information