Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

I remember working down the street from it and we went to eat lunch there once or twice a week. The price was $2.99 at the time.

They ran a lot of TV commercials advertising the $2.99 steak dinner. The steak at that price and time was actually pretty decent quality.

The price, and the ads, gradually increased to $3.99, $4.99, $5.99 and up and the quality of the steakd gradually went down as the price increased.

We even had a company Christmas party there one year, it was quite good.

RIP Cimarron Steakhouse, you were quite a good thing in your younger years.

2. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I remember working down the street from it and we went to eat lunch there once or twice a week. The price was $2.99 at the time.

They ran a lot of TV commercials advertising the $2.99 steak dinner. The steak at that price and time was actually pretty decent quality.

The price, and the ads, gradually increased to $3.99, $4.99, $5.99 and up and the quality of the steakd gradually went down as the price increased.

We even had a company Christmas party there one year, it was quite good.

RIP Cimarron Steakhouse, you were quite a good thing in your younger years.
    We went for lunch occasionally. For the past 21 years I’ve been a contractor to a Fed Govt facility near the airport. So every 5 years I work for a new company. 6 years ago I was pretty sure that the next contractor wasn’t going to keep me. I get paid pretty well and they weren’t willing to be even in the ballpark. So the Fed Govt officials threw me a going away lunch at Cimarron. About an hour before lunch time the new contractor called to tell me they had been “told” to keep me whatever it took. So the lunch turned out to be a “Yay, I’m probably gonna get to retire here” lunch.

Off the Hook just announced on Facebook that they are closing their South Meridian location. Last day is August 22nd. They said it was due to the lack of hotel guests in the area due to the pandemic.

4. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
    Off the Hook just announced on Facebook that they are closing their South Meridian location. Last day is August 22nd. They said it was due to the lack of hotel guests in the area due to the pandemic.
    Hotels were probably their only hope. I’ve been there and thought it was good. But they were never busy. Frosted Mug right next door is always packed, even now.

I can not say I am surprised, sad news though

Wicked Hangry at 33rd and Boulevard in Edmond is closing TODAY per their Facebook (their food truck will remain in operations, though).

That is interesting as their north location, which is close to my office is busy every day it seems.

That Wicked Hangry spot was previously a short-lived Kamp's.

9. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That Wicked Hangry spot was previously a short-lived Kamp's.
    Seems like Kamps was open there for a couple years. We went there quite a bit, but always at lunch. While we never had to wait for a table, sometimes we got the last or one of the last tables. I was surprised when we showed up one day and it wasn't Kamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This place opened in 1982 as Henson's Saloon and restaurant.

It operated as Doc Severinson's from 1983 to 1986.

It was briefly DeLuca's Gold Nugget in 1987.

It was rebranded as Doc's in 1988.

Then it was Old San Francisco Steakhouse after that and was repossessed by the bank in 1990.

Cimarron took over in 1991.

The building is 24,000 square feet which is roughly the size of The Criterion or the Bricktown Events Center.
    As I recall, Doc was married to a lady from OKC during the 80's.

Back in those days, you had Sullivans across the street.

Old San Francisco was a Texas chain that had a location on I-35 in Dallas, which closed in the 2000's. The original is still open in San Antonio.

I don't see how we could support another live music venue, especially in the Bricktown Events Center space.

Doc's daughter Robin is married to Frank Merrill that used to own Windward Stud in Purcell. I believe he sold it and owns another operation west of there. Been to Windward Stud many times.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Doc's daughter Robin is married to Frank Merrill that used to own Windward Stud in Purcell. I believe he sold it and owns another operation west of there. Been to Windward Stud many times.
    Aha, there's the connection. I just remember seeing Doc's first wife Evonne, who was in charge of the suites at Remington Park for many years. They were already divorced when the track opened in 1988, so I never quite understood how she wound up in Oklahoma. I believe she also lives in Purcell. Thanks Brian.

13. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Saw today that Ozzie's Diner in Norman closed. It was a great place for breakfast out by the OU airpot. It was a long time Norman staple.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Saw today that Ozzie's Diner in Norman closed. It was a great place for breakfast out by the OU airpot. It was a long time Norman staple.
    Very sad news but it lasted 30 years, not alot of restaurants lasted long these days, it was a great run!

15. Default Re: Restaurant closings

I enjoyed flying in there and eating. Will be missed by the OKARNG out of Lexington for sure.

We just hit the downtown restaurant scene for the first since the Covid arrival so it may be old news. The sushi bar in the Centennial building, in BT, is closed.
    I miss "in the Raw" at this location. It lets a strip of empty places on this side of the building.

As mentioned on another thread, Cafe 7 downtown is closing at the end of today.

The Interurban at MacArthur and Memorial will be closing on September 27th. It will be closed for approximately 60 days and then reopen as a Honey Bunny Biscuit. I think Paycom continuing to work from home is what did them in. They were always a big supporter in the community and will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by KTB View Post
    The Interurban at MacArthur and Memorial will be closing on September 27th. It will be closed for approximately 60 days and then reopen as a Honey Bunny Biscuit. I think Paycom continuing to work from home is what did them in. They were always a big supporter in the community and will be missed.
    honey bunny is the same company correct??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    honey bunny is the same company correct??
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by KTB View Post
    Well, I live alarmingly close to this location and I can tell you that our household alone might keep them profitable. lol. Wife didn't like IU, but I'll know the workers at Hunny Bunny by first name.

Henry Hudson Public House on Danforth( NW192nd) and Western has closed. I'm not sure exactly when, but I noticed it last Thursday Oct. 1.

This would be a great spot for another restaurant-- Not sure if they fit a drive-thru, but with the patio and location I think someone else could take over and do well. A McAlister's or Panera ?

nm
    Last edited by SEMIweather; 10-05-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: incorrect information on my part, apologies

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    Henry Hudson Public House on Danforth( NW192nd) and Western has closed. I'm not sure exactly when, but I noticed it last Thursday Oct. 1.

This would be a great spot for another restaurant-- Not sure if they fit a drive-thru, but with the patio and location I think someone else could take over and do well. A McAlister's or Panera ?
    See this post:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...86#post1141386

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    AMinEdmond,
    I'm not sure why you think it would be a great spot, I have been there several times and more than once I was the only one in the place. Long term, it's a good location but short term, S & B will spend a lot of money.
    C. T.

Thread Information