Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1339

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Oak and Ore always had great local beers on tap. Stuff you couldn't get anywhere else. But there was never anyone there. The Plaza needs more developments like on Division St. in Portland. 3-4 stories of housing on top of these bars and restaurants. Literally, there are hardly any restaurants on a lot of the cross streets in Portland without multiple 3-4 story housing developments on top of them. They help to sustain the restaurants and bars below. Until the Plaza has that, these places will keep dying. Empire and the Mule will survive, but none of the rest are safe.

They easily had one of the best beer selections in the metro...hate to see it, but they were dead the last 20 times I've been.

Last time I saw them busy was for fried chicken night before COVID. Hate to see it.

3. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So strange all these places are closing just before the holidays.

Maybe that's a slow time for restaurants, as people tend to cook at home.
    So many things that I see "People do" that make me wonder if my wife and I are people. LOL
    The only thing about this time of year that keeps us at home is when they close on holiday days.

4. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    They easily had one of the best beer selections in the metro...hate to see it, but they were dead the last 20 times I've been.

Last time I saw them busy was for fried chicken night before COVID. Hate to see it.
    A number of places we go that were packed every night pre COVID have never returned to their previous levels of business. Many because now they can't keep servers and kitchen staff so the service suffers.

Only went to Oak and Ore once...nice place but prices were pretty steep

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    Only went to Oak and Ore once...nice place but prices were pretty steep
    Agreed, they did have a heck of a tap selection the time I went, though. I enjoyed it, but it was pricy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    amazed it has lasted this long ..
    that is the way i felt as well. when it first opened, it was the only place to get a lot of really good and rare beers. but that isn't the case anymore. and i could go now to a handful of other places and get the same items for usually less money. i think Oak and Oar was a really good idea when they opened because they were kind of the first. but the never adjusted when competition was created.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Oak and Ore always had great local beers on tap. Stuff you couldn't get anywhere else. But there was never anyone there. The Plaza needs more developments like on Division St. in Portland. 3-4 stories of housing on top of these bars and restaurants. Literally, there are hardly any restaurants on a lot of the cross streets in Portland without multiple 3-4 story housing developments on top of them. They help to sustain the restaurants and bars below. Until the Plaza has that, these places will keep dying. Empire and the Mule will survive, but none of the rest are safe.
    i mean that was the case, before Patriarch and Social Capital. in fact, since social capital opened, i have not been to Oak and Oar. i just felt it was a better set up, easier to get in and out of, and just overall a better experience than any of the experiences i had at Oak and Oar.

Another drinking establishment goes down. Seems like we've seen a lot of that in recent months.

Sadly the closing bug has hit Ned’s Starlight lounge. They are closing immediately per their Facebook post.

11. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Sadly the closing bug has hit Ned’s Starlight lounge. They are closing immediately per their Facebook post.
    Sad. I have been there several times recently, though, and the crowd was somewhat lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I know Ned.

He told me another concept will be going in soon.

I know Ned.

Good deal. I haven’t seen his son in a few months so I hadn’t heard that anything new was coming down the pipe.

Loved the vibe at Ned's. Food had some unique flavors as well. Crowd was very inconsistent though. Online records indicate the demise is directly related to state sales tax issues in the six figures. Shame. Good local hole-in-the-wall.

I know Ned.

Hope they hire better staff - we tried to eat there twice in the past 6-8 months and with only about 5 other patrons in the place at 2 tables (and a few at the bar), there was no wait staff and the bartender ignored us, so we walked out both times after waiting 5-10 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hope they hire better staff - we tried to eat there twice in the past 6-8 months and with only about 5 other patrons in the place at 2 tables (and a few at the bar), there was no wait staff and the bartender ignored us, so we walked out both times after waiting 5-10 mins.
    I loved Ned's food but their service was EXTREMELY hit-or-miss. I've had times where the staff flat-out forgot we were there (even once they admitted they forgot to put our food order in) and other times when the service was so fast that from coming in to ordering to getting our food took like 20 minutes. And I think out of the three times I ordered delivery, they only got my order right once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonesia View Post
    I loved Ned's food but their service was EXTREMELY hit-or-miss. I've had times where the staff flat-out forgot we were there (even once they admitted they forgot to put our food order in) and other times when the service was so fast that from coming in to ordering to getting our food took like 20 minutes. And I think out of the three times I ordered delivery, they only got my order right once.
    Agree on the food - went there a couple of times shortly after they opened and both food and service were great, hopefully they figure service out next time.

Service problems often come when business is slow and the restaurant has to lay off workers or they leave for greener pastures and better tips.

I had nothing but great service in the beginning but had not been recently when others reported a decline.

Often, it's a downward spiral and it becomes increasingly difficult to turn things around.

Ludivine is closing at the end of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Wow, another one bites the dust,
    But December made me shiver
    With every paper I'd deliver
    Bad news on the doorstep
    I couldn't take one more step

21. Default Re: Restaurant closings

That's sad even though I ate there once 10 years ago when my friend was a sous chef there.

This one hurts on a other level.

23. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Over the heads of too many people after covid and inflation?

I wonder who owns that building? Who will potentially get in there? What's wrong with Midtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    I wonder who owns that building? Who will potentially get in there? What's wrong with Midtown?
    Getting too expensive, is my guess.

Thread Information