Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

1. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They had a small fire on the inside and will be fixing that damage and reopening.
    I drive by there daily. I wondered what was up. They're always very busy.

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    The Fixx in Edmond announced they are closing. Really a bummer, they had excellent burgers!
    Why are they closing?

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    The Fixx in Edmond announced they are closing. Really a bummer, they had excellent burgers!
    This is a shame. Have they announced their last day of service? Where did you see this?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    This is a shame. Have they announced their last day of service? Where did you see this?
    This Saturday is their last day

I saw it posted by them on the Edmond Foodies page on FB. They didnt specify a reason on why they were closing.

Grill on the Hill in Capitol Hill has announced they will be closing; the owners have decided to retire. Per their Facebook page, their final day of business is Friday, April 1, 2022. Wish this was only an April Fools joke - but I know their retirement is well deserved. They appear to be considering offers to buy the restaurant, though, so maybe the Grill will eventually reopen?

Centre Bistro at the Museum Cafe closed today. This is in the downtown OKC Art Museum. Their FB page posted this just a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsokc View Post
    Centre Bistro at the Museum Cafe closed today. This is in the downtown OKC Art Museum. Their FB page posted this just a few minutes ago.
    That's at least the third restaurant to fail at that spot. Bummer.

That's at least the third restaurant to fail at that spot. Bummer.
    Wasn't it meant to be temporary? Or was that the iteration before this one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Wasn't it meant to be temporary? Or was that the iteration before this one?
    There was a pop-up type of thing by Patro.

That wasn't one of the 3.

Unless there is something on at the Civic Center, the Museum Cafe always gets forgotten.

There was a pop-up type of thing by Patro.

That wasn't one of the 3.

Unless there is something on at the Civic Center, the Museum Cafe always gets forgotten.
    We ate at the first one a few times when we visited the museum and it was really good (venison was fantastic) and were sad to see that one go, it wasn't the same after that, but we still went a couple of times after it changed.

The Museum Cafe used to be one of our favorite places back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Grill on the Hill in Capitol Hill has announced they will be closing; the owners have decided to retire. Per their Facebook page, their final day of business is Friday, April 1, 2022. Wish this was only an April Fools joke - but I know their retirement is well deserved. They appear to be considering offers to buy the restaurant, though, so maybe the Grill will eventually reopen?
    It could reopen but I doubt it will be the same anymore with new owners

Leonardo's at NW 178th & Penn has closed permanently. The owner posted on Facebook, citing family issues as the reason.

We only ate there a handful of times, but my wife LOVED their green salsa & chips, and from our private neighborhood Facebook group, they have a lot of fans and there was usually a good number of cars in the parking lot.

So far, that's two restaurants (Leonardo's and the chicken place next door) closing and one (Mei Shi, taking up two units) never opening in that strip mall. I was told that what would have been Mei Shi is opening as a different Asian restaurant but he didn't know when or the style of food. I haven't heard any more about The Chosen Juan taqueira opening.

Looks like may have ben closed for awhile but didn't realize the Taco Mayo on Classen had closed.

16. Default Re: Restaurant closings

^^^^^^^^
    At least six months, possibly closer to a year. Even before the pandemic service was fairly abysmal in that location, which in my opinion is the factor that has taken down most of the (what should be can’t-miss) fast food establishments on or near NW 23rd.

I suspect - but don’t know for sure - that most of the closures of places like Arby’s, KFC, Bueno and Mayo have been corporate stores that were treated like backwaters based on out-of-date historical and demographic data.

In many cases the day-to-day management of all of those places seemed to left up to the hourly employees, and at the end of each I noticed basic business aspects going awry such as cleanliness, failure to turn on outdoor signs (this is HUGE), running out of core ingredients early in evening (“sorry, we’re out of taco meat” or “chicken won’t be up for 20 minutes”), not responding to customers arriving in drive-thru, even early closure vs posted hours.

Every time I was at the window at that Mayo I had to avoid looking through the window lest I question my own life choices even more than I was already doing. Business owners who don’t keep their eye on the ball…ultimately go out of business.

17. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    At least six months, possibly closer to a year. Even before the pandemic service was fairly abysmal in that location, which in my opinion is the factor that has taken down most of the (what should be can’t-miss) fast food establishments on or near NW 23rd.

I suspect - but don’t know for sure - that most of the closures of places like Arby’s, KFC, Bueno and Mayo have been corporate stores that were treated like backwaters based on out-of-date historical and demographic data.

In many cases the day-to-day management of all of those places seemed to left up to the hourly employees, and at the end of each I noticed basic business aspects going awry such as cleanliness, failure to turn on outdoor signs (this is HUGE), running out of core ingredients early in evening (“sorry, we’re out of taco meat” or “chicken won’t be up for 20 minutes”), not responding to customers arriving in drive-thru, even early closure vs posted hours.

Every time I was at the window at that Mayo I had to avoid looking through the window lest I question my own life choices even more than I was already doing. Business owners who don’t keep their eye on the ball…ultimately go out of business.
    Like your Mayo we watched our local Bueno get nastier and nastier looking through the drive thru window during the time we wouldn't go inside anywhere. Then I stopped one night and picked up two platters. When I opened them they were just big piles of something Mexican food looking. We haven't been back.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

I like Mayo but it got to the point they priced themselves out of the market compared to their peers. I can get a taco burger at Tacoville for a third of what they charged for the same thing.

19. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Tacoville is amazingly good to be in such a dumpy strip mall and look so dumpy itself from the street.

20. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Like your Mayo we watched our local Bueno get nastier and nastier looking through the drive thru window during the time we wouldn't go inside anywhere. Then I stopped one night and picked up two platters. When I opened them they were just big piles of something Mexican food looking. We haven't been back.
    Yeah, I actually always liked Bueno more than Mayo, but the one on 23rd got progressively worse and worse before closing, and I stopped going years ago. The good news is that the lack of available and appealing fast food around downtown has improved my dietary decision-making.

So what is going on with the Sonic on South Meridian. I know they had the fire but are they just going to leave it to rot? No work has been done on it and I don't think it's for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    So what is going on with the Sonic on South Meridian. I know they had the fire but are they just going to leave it to rot? No work has been done on it and I don't think it's for sale?
    I know nothing about that Sonic, but in general delays like that tend to go back to insurance hassles and identifying the cause of the fire before payouts happen and repairs can start. Purely a guess, unless that particular franchisee has opted not to rebuild/reopen.

Blog Entries

Agree with Sooner-Dave that it's more of an insurance dispute.

Much depends on if this is a corporate or franchisee store.

Franchisees sign on with the agreement to follow corporate store operations of new stores and retrofitting to protect the brand. They participate--contribute their share in advertising and promotions. Franchisees don't have to honor corporate coupons; however, general they do because they are reimbursed. Most Corporate Sonic stores will honor franchisee coupons and promotions.

Sonic is no longer owned by Sonic Corporation, purchased in 2018 by Inspire Brands (Multi-billion Portfolio of Restaurants for $2.3 billion based in Atlanta). Inspire Brand also includes Arby’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jimmy Johns, Dunkin' Donuts, Baskin-Robbins and R Taco. They agreed to leave the corporate headwaters in OKC, making it a wing of Inspire Brands.

The GoGo Sushi in Midtown is closing. Not sure about a date, but I went in last week and the owner told me they are closing and that the Moore location would be staying open. They've had signs up indicating a staffing shortage. The day I was there, they did not have the patio open due to the shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    The GoGo Sushi in Midtown is closing. Not sure about a date, but I went in last week and the owner told me they are closing and that the Moore location would be staying open. They've had signs up indicating a staffing shortage. The day I was there, they did not have the patio open due to the shortage.
    Aww, this was my wife's and I sushi place!

Thread Information