Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    We also were early fans of City Bites, when they started in Edmond. But that was before Firehouse, Jersey Mikes, McAlister's, Jimmie John's, not to mention a jillion Subway stores... tough competition.
    City Bites had its novelty phase about twenty years ago, then at some point just started galloping downhill. We were regulars for a long time until that slide started, which was highlighted by increasingly nasty stores, reduced options, and, frankly, better alternatives. The last one I knew about was on S Walker just south of I-240, but we hardly ever went there. Have to see if it's still open.

Yeah as a recent-ish (5 years) transplant to OKC, I’ve only ever had City Bites once and it was really disappointing. I don’t get the appeal.

3. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Yeah as a recent-ish (5 years) transplant to OKC, I’ve only ever had City Bites once and it was really disappointing. I don’t get the appeal.
    20 to 30 years ago they were about the only option to Subway. Their decor was different and kinda cool. But as wunderkind said there's better options now and CB just never tried to change with the times or compete. This past year has weeded out a lot of restaurants that just really weren't cutting it to begin with.

4. Default Re: Restaurant closings

We tried the one in Norman a few times. It would take forever to get a mediocre sandwich. I remember as a kid how good and fun it was. Just got beat out by competitors. Cookies were still good though....

interesting... they don't list the store on 240 and walker. i went there a couple of months ago after not being to a city bites in years... it tasted like the same sandwich from my memory but with lower quality ingredients. i didn't see myself going back. there's a place on 89th and penn called pickerman's that's been there for years... been meaning to give them a shot.

i'll never forget going to the location near 240 and western decades ago when i was still a kid... the restrooms only had the male and female symbols (the ones with the circles) but the men's door was pink and the ladies' was blue. after thinking about the right decision, i go in and am greeted to a one-way mirror behind the toilet... i'm basically staring at everybody in the dining room while peeing... really strange design element.

There has been a City Bites location about a half mile from where I live behind Northpark Mall but I haven't looked there recently to see if they are still open. The location is a little hidden from either May or 122nd but I'll try to check it out when I go by there next time.

Back in the late 1990's, City Bites turkey melt was amazing. By far my favorite restaurant/fast food sandwich.

Weirdest thing about City Bites for me is that they somehow have a location all the way up in Wichita

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Weirdest thing about City Bites for me is that they somehow have a location all the way up in Wichita
    For the longest time they had a location in a shopping center at 21st and Woodlawn near a Hobby Lobby and LaserQuest, they moved around ?2008? to their current location just north of K-96 and Woodlawn.

My guess would be a single franchisee who bought into the concept in the 90's and has been able to hold on and be successful with the one location.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    There has been a City Bites location about a half mile from where I live behind Northpark Mall but I haven't looked there recently to see if they are still open. The location is a little hidden from either May or 122nd but I'll try to check it out when I go by there next time.
    I believe that one's been gone a long time.

And yeah, they weren't the greatest anymore, but I only generally got one thing there - Garden Gobbler on Jalapeno Cheese Bread (shout-out to corwin1968 ), and a snickerdoodle cookie. Their soups were decent (cream of jalapeno was one of their better ones). They were convenient, fast and decent, but at least there's still Neptune around for nostalgic sandwiches. I think the 59th one was the original location, but not sure.

city bites at 240 and walker appeared to be open today... lights were on inside and there was a car in the driv-thru.

Did O Asian Fusion in Norman close?. Saw that Dakil is auctioning off their stuff so assuming they have closed. It was amazing food the few times we ate there.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Did O Asian Fusion in Norman close?. Saw that Dakil is auctioning off their stuff so assuming they have closed. It was amazing food the few times we ate there.
    That sucks. We loved that place but hadn’t been during the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    That sucks. We loved that place but hadn’t been during the pandemic.
    We live in OKC but whenever in Norman...it was one of the spots we would go. Their website is still up and google page listing says open but that may be the last thing they worried about if closing.

I drove the Western location and it appeared to be open. Hope it stays that way!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 7OUT View Post
    I drove the Western location and it appeared to be open. Hope it stays that way!
    Of what?

Just saw that Cultivar is officially closed for good.

What a loss for Automobile Alley. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Of what?
    City Bites

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

Man that sucks. I liked that place.

I thought they had closed several months back?

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I thought they had closed several months back?
    They've been closed, but I believe the understanding it was meant to be temporary. They were relying on a food truck to try to stay afloat until they could re-open, but I guess that didn't work out.

Their white queso was unparalleled in OKC. Will really miss them.

Drove past the Ted's cantina on 23rd a few times and it looks like they are closed already. They had covers over the table and chairs

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    Drove past the Ted's cantina on 23rd a few times and it looks like they are closed already. They had covers over the table and chairs
    They had a flood and had to close for repairs.

They'll reopen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They had a flood and had to close for repairs.

They'll reopen soon.
    They posted to social media that it might be another 2-3 weeks, unfortunately. Just as the weather is perfect for their patio!

Thread Information