Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RFP south of arena

Default Re: RFP south of arena

So this week there was a bunch of semi's parked for the Ariana Grande concert tonight along OKC Blvd. Today, they are parked at own lumber mill site with security guarding them. So I guess situations like this would be one of the reasons a surface parking lot would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    So this week there was a bunch of semi's parked for the Ariana Grande concert tonight along OKC Blvd. Today, they are parked at own lumber mill site with security guarding them. So I guess situations like this would be one of the reasons a surface parking lot would be needed.
    They don’t need a parking lot for that. Build the area with a plaza that can be used for pedestrian festivals, food trucks, and things like that. Block the plaza off and let semis park there a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    They don’t need a parking lot for that. Build the area with a plaza that can be used for pedestrian festivals, food trucks, and things like that. Block the plaza off and let semis park there a few times a year.
    Not saying I agree with it. Mostly just adding to discussion on what I saw this week. Hopefully, the city doesn't let them park on Blvd once it is fully open.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Or build a parking lot to help get better acts to the arena that can be blocked off to let people on it for festivals or parties a few times a year. I think they know what they are doing.

They don't need a surface lot for that, I was in LA 3 weeks ago while Grande's tour was there. The same semi trucks were parked along the streets all around Staples Center. There was no surface lot next door for them to park at.

Same goes for MSG.

^

Yes, I seriously doubt that arenas in many big cities have large surface lots directly next to their downtown arenas in order to accommodate big acts.

Resharing some pictures as it relates to this RFP. First though it would be ridiculous to give any TIF if the city is financing these improvements to the arena especially this southeast entrance which would directly help the RFP property. It also leads me to believe they must have changed some parts of it since they will be going over the loading docks that they said the surface parking lot would help for larger events. Overall I'm fine with both if the team signs a new 15 year lease and pays fair value for the land/ no TIF. Pete do we have any timeline for this RFP? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8509.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	15465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8508.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	15466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8507.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	15467

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Resharing some pictures as it relates to this RFP. First though it would be ridiculous to give any TIF if the city is financing these improvements to the arena especially this southeast entrance which would directly help the RFP property. It also leads me to believe they must have changed some parts of it since they will be going over the loading docks that they said the surface parking lot would help for larger events. Overall I'm fine with both if the team signs a new 15 year lease and pays fair value for the land/ no TIF. Pete do we have any timeline for this RFP? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8509.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	15465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8508.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	15466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8507.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	15467
    the proposed inprovements to the city owned building don't interfere or effect this project in any way

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the proposed inprovements to the city owned building don't interfere or effect this project in any way
    I don't know if I would say that. They will probably move forward with the plans since the expansion is still 5+ years out. But the Thunder Alley proposal was clearly designed with the assumption that there is no new south entrance. I see them wanting to make the area leading to the new entrance more inviting. On the city side, they may decide to add a pedestrian crosswalk/signal on the BLVD where there will be a lot of people crossing from Omni and garage.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I don't know if I would say that. They will probably move forward with the plans since the expansion is still 5+ years out. But the Thunder Alley proposal was clearly designed with the assumption that there is no new south entrance. I see them wanting to make the area leading to the new entrance more inviting. On the city side, they may decide to add a pedestrian crosswalk/signal on the BLVD where there will be a lot of people crossing from Omni and garage.
    i guess i should have said effect whether the continue with this project ... you make a great point that if the arena plans are apporved that the design of the project would likely change

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i guess i should have said effect whether the continue with this project ... you make a great point that if the arena plans are apporved that the design of the project would likely change
    That's all I was intrigued about. I have no doubt this will be built and didn't mean to infere otherwise. I'm just curious about the TIF and redesign will the loading docks being covered and entrance providing more importance to that corner. Such as, will they still want a parking lot literally feet away from their new entrance and rooftop patio?

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    That's all I was intrigued about. I have no doubt this will be built and didn't mean to infere otherwise. I'm just curious about the TIF and redesign will the loading docks being covered and entrance providing more importance to that corner. Such as, will they still want a parking lot literally feet away from their new entrance and rooftop patio?
    At the very least, I see the driveway leading to the parking lot moved. That's about where the new entrance would be. Also, I assume the team store that is in the plans would be the larger primary one and the one inside the arena would be smaller. Would the Thunder want to staff two? My guess is yes, but only staff the arena store on game days.

OCURA has designated the group behind Thunder Alley as the developers for this project.

Final approval will be through City Council in the near future then they no doubt be approved for the requested TIF funds.

Getting a very nice discount on the land plus $1.5 million in TIF. Add that to the $13 million or so they'll be getting in Maps money for practice facility upgrades (which public doesnt get to use) and this will be quite a generous year that okc has been to Thunder ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Getting a very nice discount on the land plus $1.5 million in TIF. Add that to the $13 million or so they'll be getting in Maps money for practice facility upgrades (which public doesnt get to use) and this will be quite a generous year that okc has been to Thunder ownership.
    The public gets to go to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    At least we know that MAPS 4 likely will not pass. You can tell because the guys who run the city (Larry, Bob, and Clay) wouldn’t have Holt palling around with low information voters on the weekends unless the internal numbers looked very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Which is exactly why the public shouldn't be on the hook for a multi million dollar practice facility.
    "It's practice man, practice. We talking practice" - "the Answer"

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    At least we know that MAPS 4 likely will not pass. You can tell because the guys who run the city (Larry, Bob, and Clay) wouldn’t have Holt palling around with low information voters on the weekends unless the internal numbers looked very bad.
    I think you're incorrect but I haven't seen any polling on MAPS 4. Regardless, Holt "palling around" with the general public on the weekends is very much on-brand for him. Do you know something or just speculating?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Well, after paying. It's not free. (even thought there are free tickets this year floating around)

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I think you're incorrect but I haven't seen any polling on MAPS 4. Regardless, Holt "palling around" with the general public on the weekends is very much on-brand for him. Do you know something or just speculating?
    It's a fairly transparent attempt to craft a narrative through spamming the board about how much they don't like MAPS 4.

Blog Entries

There are two posters here who are very bitter about Maps for some reason. I don't hear that angry sentiment anywhere else I go. Not everyone is in love with every project but most everyone respects the profound positive impact Maps has had on OKC and what a valuable tool it can be going forward.

Blog Entries

That's your spin. But, we know how angry you are at Maps. Unfortunately for you, it is likely to pass comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That's your spin. But, we know how angry you are at Maps. Unfortunately for you, it is likely to pass comfortably.
    Wrong. You must work for Express? lol

Blog Entries

Wrong. You must work for Express? lol
    No, you are way off course. It doesn't take a genius to see what MAPS has done for this city, and most of the citizens who aren't angry get it. That's why it passes, over and over. For once, the citizens feel like they have some influence, even if it isn't at a micromanaging level. They don't need to make boogie men and go all "power to the people" fist saluting.

Thread Information