Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RFP south of arena

Default Re: RFP south of arena

I would like to see Shake Shack go in to part of this space. The proximity to the park, arena, and convention center would make it a killer location for them.

So do we know what this will be now?

Quote Originally Posted by DallasOkie086 View Post
    So do we know what this will be now?
    Deadline for responses isn't until April 1, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Deadline for responses isn't until April 1, 2019.
    Don’t believe there is anything yet. Heard that the code is really strict regarding the height. Has to be pretty tall (forgot the exact height).

I think that housing would probably be the best option. Putting something that would ONLY be used for games seems like a waste of space. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19480433-C7CF-484E-974F-413150F649D6.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	15073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCFF3E7C-B23C-416B-AD76-F4E325EEB058.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	15074
    These are two examples of what I’d love to see.

Blog Entries

I'm still not convinced that OKC won't need a new arena 10 years from now; however we will probably demolish the Cox Convention Center (Old Myriad) sometime after the new convention center opens. That 4 square blocks will be city owned and ready to be redeveloped.

It will go to an affiliate of the Thunder ownership for a fan shop and/or restaurant.

RFP's usually happen after someone already expresses an interest.

As for the height code, that is negotiable.

I should know this, but the parking lots west of the arena, is that the Stage Theatre/OG&E site ? Any possibility we’ll hear something in 2019 ?

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I would like to see Shake Shack go in to part of this space. The proximity to the park, arena, and convention center would make it a killer location for them.
    hahaha yah that'd really put us on the map!

10. Default Re: RFP south of arena

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I should know this, but the parking lots west of the arena, is that the Stage Theatre/OG&E site ? Any possibility we’ll hear something in 2019 ?
    Here's the thread for that area, it doesn't seem like anything is happening in the near term: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...ord+dealership

The Stage/OG&E site is west of Myriad Gardens at Sheridan and Hudson.

Thunder Alley Entertainment Block proposed south of arena

The ownership group of the Oklahoma City Thunder has proposed a new development directly south of Chesapeake Arena with a large plaza, public art and a covered dining area with docking stations for up to 3 food trucks.

The plan was submitted to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA) in response to a formal request for proposals for land that became available when Interstate 40 was located several blocks to the south several years ago.

The property sits between the arena and the new Oklahoma City Boulevard which essentially retraces the old interstate route but mostly at ground level. The entire boulevard will be complete later this year.

The owners, Professional Basketball Club LLC, is partnering with Randy Hogan who is the developer for the Lower Bricktown property that is home to Harkins Theater, Sonic Headquarters and several other restaurants and attractions along the Bricktown Canal. In a similar process, Hogan won the right to develop that Bricktown property from OCURA.

Named Thunder Alley, the project would also include surface parking spaces for 70 cars at the east end.

The group anticipates the area to be a gathering space before and after Thunder games and other arena events, but also conventioneers who will be utitlizing the new Omni Hotel and convention center being constructed to the immediate south.

The proposal offers $1.25 million for the city-owned 1.55 acres but also asks $1.5 million in public incentives in the form of tax increment financing funds. They anticipate the entire project will cost $10.5 million.

The Thunder Alley proposal was the only response to the RFP and OCURA will consider the plan at a future meeting.

12. Default Re: RFP south of arena

I stopped reading after Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I stopped reading after Hogan
    There are two parking garages across the street from this (one, the Courtyard and two, the proposed Omni Hotel parking garage). Why the F@#K do we need more parking there?!??!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    There are two parking garages across the street from this (one, the Courtyard and two, the proposed Omni Hotel parking garage). Why the F@#K do we need more parking there?!??!
    i agree the surface parking should be a no go .....

but the answer is that would be premium spaces that the thunder would directly control ..

the rest of it is in the correct scale and would be a fantastic addition

Really think this area is perfect for something like Texas Live.

https://texas-live.com

Just here to say I like it overall, but the inclusion of 70 parking spaces is ridiculous. Can we get these bumper stickers made up?:

Don't Lower Bricktown my Thunder Alley.

Blog Entries

Isn’t there supposed to be a large globe sculpture on the caddy corner? It would be odd having two similar pieces on opposite sides of the same corner.

And ditto on nixing the surface parking at a key corner. Just stupid planning.

if they are going to get 1.5 mil in TIF then there should be 0 surface parking

Note they are offering $1.25M for the land but want $1.5M in free money via TIF.

Also, this is the group that owns the Thunder, some of the richest people in the state. Do they really need yet another public hand-out?

Professional Baskebtall Club LLC is led by Clayton I. Bennett, chairman of the Oklahoma City Thunder and DorchesterCapital. Other members of the ownership group include George B. Kaiser, president of GBK Corporation and chairman of BOK Financial; G. Jeffrey Records, Jr., chairman and CEO of MidFirst Bank; William M. Cameron, chairman and CEO of American Fidelity Assurance Company; Robert E. Howard II, chairman of Howard Investments; Jay Scaramucci, president of Balon Corporation; and Everett R. Dobson, managing partner of DobsonPartnerships.

Honestly - I think Texas Live and KC's Power and Light should have a baby - put that just across Robinson to the West of the Chesapeake Arena! Agree that parking should not be needed here, just extend the development to Shields. I actually love the suspended basketball and could see it being a picture spot, right across from the new 30 foot tall art piece at Scissortail park!

Note they are offering $1.25M for the land but want $1.5M in free money via TIF.

Also, this is the group that owns the Thunder, some of the richest people in the state. Do they really need yet another public hand-out?
    if the cost of the "plaza and sculpture" is 1.5 mil .. i don't think that is really a gift that would 100% be public space used all year round but if that is the carrott the stick should be an absolute no to surface parking

Chicago's got The Bean; why can't we have The Ball? :LOL

But no, generally I like this, but I echo the dislike for the small parking lot and the ask for TIF funds here. We don't need a freakin' parking lot right at what will be a very busy corner (Boulevard and EK Gaylord).

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined. /s

This project really is a bit of a let down and the TIF is a real kick in the balls.

Great renderings, sure.

But this just seems like a particularly strong Boondoggle for the Bourgeoisie.

Thread Information