Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fox Lake Plaza

Default Fox Lake Plaza

Tapp to buy Fox Lake Plaza for $8.49M
    Journal Record
    by Brianna Bailey

Published: August 25th, 2010

EDMOND – Local commercial real estate company Tapp Development Corp. is in the process of acquiring the 53-acre site of the stalled Fox Lake Plaza shopping center for $8.49 million from Expressway Development.

Expressway filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year and construction on the shopping center has never moved forward.

Details of the pending sale were revealed in documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.

Edmond-based Tapp Development has developed commercial real estate properties ranging from outlet malls to medical facilities across the United States and Canada over the past 40 years, according to the firm’s website. The real estate company has developed Walmart stores across Oklahoma.

Jim Tapp, president and chief executive of Tapp Development, confirmed the pending sale on Wednesday, but declined to comment further, citing “many contingencies in a very difficult process related to our involvement in Fox Lake.”

A U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge approved the sale on Monday and the deal is expected be finalized by mid-October, attorney Charles Wetsel told the Edmond City Council on Monday. The buyer already has financing in place for the project and plans to use the same site plan as Expressway, he said.

Wetsel could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday.

The Edmond City Council this week granted an extension on a site plan for the development until the sale could be finalized.

Plans for the site along Interstate 35 at 15th Street include a shopping center with several satellite pad sites for restaurants and stores along the interstate frontage road. The Edmond City Council originally approved plans for the shopping center in 2004, but construction never moved forward.

Residents in the Fox Lake area have complained to the city for years about soil erosion at the graded site and red dirt blowing onto their properties.

“I hope we can see some type of development there now and maybe some new erosion controls,” said Councilman Wayne Page.

2. Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

finally. I go to that walmart regularly and shake my head at the site every time.

Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

I was at WalMart this weekend and there is some heavy equipment movement. Looks like they have restarted work! This article says the same plan is in place, I believe the original plan called for a Buffalo Wild Wings.. not sure what else.. anyone with info?

So it seems a lot of work is going on here, with all of the construction in that area (Integris hospital) I thought this might be a more popular thread. Anyone know what the plans are for this location?

Take some pictures of the site, we would like to see them.

6. Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

Not much to take pictures of. They put down some sod on the front of the sight and machines and earth movers have been out in full force

As of Friday (at least when I noticed it) there are for sale signs.. apparently they were just trying to clean it up for sale?

I just drove by and the signs say "Fox Lake Power Center Anchor Positions and Out parcels available".

It's my understanding that at one time they had all the parcels sold and either a Best Buy, Sam's Club and even the Warren Theater were scheduled for this site, but the developer found the city too difficult to deal with. Hopefully this new owner will see some action. Sold for $8.5 million, or $2.50/SF in October, 2010.

10. Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

I was by there today. There was equipment out there and what seemed start on what will be streets through the "power center".

I dont think it will be a Warren Theater and I read in another thread that they usually only have one site per market, though a Warren would be great for the north side of the Metro.

Edmond can be hard to deal with sometimes yes but I am wondering if it was more of a hard time dealing with Wal-Mart to the south. They can have control of a lot and seem to use that power when it comes to competition. Will be something to keep a watch on.

The Integris site is starting to look nice, the stonework adds a nice look to the building, I wonder how visible it will be once complete as it is off the access road a bit and all the trees once green will cover it quite a bit.

I marvel at developers who can deal with the City of Edmond inspectors and codes. Just went through the red tape for several months recently. Absolutely insane!! Would NEVER go through it again - would be easier to relocate than deal with the City of Edmond...

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I marvel at developers who can deal with the City of Edmond inspectors and codes. Just went through the red tape for several months recently. Absolutely insane!! Would NEVER go through it again - would be easier to relocate than deal with the City of Edmond...
    I certainly could understand the frustration at dealing with the red tape and the difficult process, however, Edmond has higher standards than most other surburbs. You people would not survive in Texas with suburbs like Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc.. they have strict standards and guidelines that they follow and adhere and I do not find these cities lacking in getting quality development done. This should also be the Edmond standard, or for that matter, the Oklahoma standard.

13. Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

I thought there was another thread on this somewhere and if there is just merge it please

But they have put a contruction building up on this site after the construction has ramped up the past few weeks. Driveway entraces from the access road have been pour so things are moving in the right direction.

Is the construction for the temporary Mercy office building? I had also heard Sam's Club was going to buy the rear land. But with property - I will believe it when I see it!

I drove by last night and noticed there was a Mercy sign on the building. I thought that was kind of strange. Why didn't they put their building on their construction sight? I wish Sam's would build there. Since they usually build adjacent to one of their Walmart locations, it would make sense.

That Mercy facility is a temporary physicians clinic that will transition to their site to the south when it's complete.

Yes Some Sam's do but most in KC area aren't.

Does anybody think that OKC could support a Cosco? If so, it would be awsome to see one built here in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does anybody think that OKC could support a Cosco? If so, it would be awsome to see one built here in Edmond.
    Yes, hence all the threads mentioning Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I wish Sam's would build there. Since they usually build adjacent to one of their Walmart locations, it would make sense.
    Last I heard, your wish shall be granted. Of course, I wouldn't bet anything until the sign is up and the first customer walks through the door of the store.

Well, seems this is moving along.

Fox Lake shopping center seeks sign variance
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Edmond Planning Commission this week voted 5-0 in favor of the revised 15-acre final plat of the Shoppes at Fox Lake. Commissioners also voted 4-1 to approve a sign variance for a taller and larger square footage sign at the Shoppes at Fox Lake.

Commission Chairman Barry Moore cast the no vote on the request made by Fox Lake Investments LLC.

“These sign variances drive me nuts,” Moore said. “How big do they have to be? I just wish we could stick to the books and go with that. I know we’re not because that gate is open and that dog is out and running.”

The shopping center is proposed to be south of Fox Lake Lane on the west side of Interstate 35, Moore said. The Sam’s Club Warehouse is to the south of this platted area, said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner. A driveway will serve the shopping center where the temporary Mercy Clinic is located.

The proposal is to build a 23,700-square-foot shopping center with 12 tenants on the northern piece of the greater commercial properties, Schiermeyer said.

“The pad sites as long as it’s a shopping center will have their own ground signs,” Schiermeyer said. “They’ll qualify for those under the sign code.”

This two-sided sign is 350 feet from Fox Lake Lane, Schiermeyer said. The names of the tenants would be between two poles.

Troy Downing with Richard Brown and Associates Architects requested a 151.6-square-foot sign variance of 29 feet in height. The standard allowance for the sign that is permitted on the I-35 corridor is a 60-square-foot sign, 25 feet tall, Schiermeyer said.

- See more at: Fox Lake shopping center seeks sign variance » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Update on this with a rendering; nothing too exciting. The sign variance was approved.

Council approves Fox Lake area sign variance
    Mark Schlachtenhaufen
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — City Council members have approved a developer’s request for a larger-than-allowed sign at a Fox Lake-area shopping center.

Architect Troy Downing with RBA Architects represented Fox Lake Investments in a request for a ground sign variance for a new shopping center planned south of Fox Lake Lane, according to city-provided background on the issue.

During Monday’s meeting, city planner Bob Schiermeyer said the development is constrained by the property size and restrictions with the previously approved site plan.

Schiermeyer said the proposed sign is 29 feet, 9 inches tall; the city’s code for the amount of frontage for the center’s lot (50 feet) allows for a 25-foot-tall sign. Schiermeyer said the owner proposes a 151.6-square-foot sign to allow for possibly 12 tenants in the 27,000-square-foot shopping center; the code allows for a 60-square-foot sign.

- See more at: Council approves Fox Lake area sign variance » Local News » The Edmond Sun

A Whataburger and Discount Tire are likely going to go into this development.

Fox Lake commercial proposal moves forward

A revised final plat of the Shoppes at Fox Lake, formerly called Fox Lake Plaza, was approved this week by the city council. The plat contains 15.94 acres and four commercial lots. Developer Jim Tapp, with Fox Lake Investments, went before the council and planning commissioners because the original plat was never completed or accepted by the council. Zoning for this property is light industrial on the front, restricted light industrial and neighborhood commercial. A Whataburger and Discount Tires are planned for the development.

- Edmond Exchange for Aug. 15 | News OK

24. Default Re: Fox Lake Plaza to be sold soon

I'm glad to see Edmond is going upscale with all the developments along I-35.

[/sarc]

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I'm glad to see Edmond is going upscale with all the developments along I-35.

[/sarc]
    There is a ton of land along the highway so there is still much opportunity. I'm interested in the Whataburger. Haven't heard about new store construction lately. I agree though it would be nice to start seeing some better retail developments and lifestyle centers.

Thread Information