Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Already shaping up to miss OKC with the heavy rain. Figures. The ground can use a good soaking, and it will miss Midwest City with any rain of consequence.
    We're getting steady heavy rain at NW 36th/May right now. Not thunderstorm-level, just good hard rain.

Already over 6 inches down in Fittstown.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    ^Mine was partially mowed today too....by army worms. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Noticed some smallish worms on the patio and happened to look in grass and literally THOUSANDS of them just going to town. Called the lawn guy and he said they have been inundated with calls today. They came out this afternoon and put some product down and watered it in.....GONE. Appeared like something out of a movie though....OK, back to weather (sorry).
    I had never heard of those until last week - they got into a couple of fields in my cousins farms nw of here and ate what would have been 50 tons of hay over the course of a few days on what would have been his last cuts of the season - we were able to get in there and salvage a 150 or so bails before they got the rest of it - it is crazy how fast and how much they can eat

Two localized areas of concern setting up for flooding:

A corridor from Duncan to McAlester. Localized areas within this zone could see over a foot of rain by the end of the day. I would not be surprised if I-35 in this area has issues later today and may even close north of Ardmore.

A small area SW of Tulsa along and near I-44 in the Bristow area could see significant amounts of rain relative to the surrounding areas.

Already shaping up to miss OKC with the heavy rain. Figures. The ground can use a good soaking, and it will miss Midwest City with any rain of consequence.
    We seem to be getting good rain right now, maybe not the crazy amount of rain that was earlier forecasted for okc. We are good drought condition wise. Its southwest Oklahoma that really needs the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    We seem to be getting good rain right now, maybe not the crazy amount of rain that was earlier forecasted for okc. We are good drought condition wise. Its southwest Oklahoma that really needs the rain.
    It's pretty crazy here in the Midtown area.

Originally, the forecast in my area was for 5 inches today.

Then, it went down to under 2.

Already today, we have had close to 4 inches at my house and it looks like there is a lot more to come.

In other words, if Midwest City is like Stillwater, things will look like this. Rainfall amounts from around Sept 5. My heart goes out to those being adversely impacted from the current heavy rainfall.

The storm is just stuck on top of us right now.

when i left for work this morning saw 2 different neighbors sprinkler systems on. I just shook my head. Either lazy or living under a rock

The main low is now sliding ESE and will slowly turn off the rain on the NW sides of the system, so rainfall will dissipate from NW to SE. Along I-44 and especially to the SE will continue to accumulate rain.

Fittstown is about to officially break a foot of rain in less than 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    when i left for work this morning saw 2 different neighbors sprinkler systems on. I just shook my head. Either lazy or living under a rock
    I'm sure some people even know how to work the timers or know anything about their systems and just let the sprinkler companies handle it all.

We are living in an area where a large chunk of the population has no mechanical skills or the mindset of how to fix things themselves.

we had so much rain in bethany i had to clear out the drainage that runs down one side of our house to keep water from coming in the side door on our garage

On Friday, Southern Oklahoma was the target for another heavy rainy period in the state, peaking out at 14.10", so far. Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas got 2 to 4+ inches. Fortunately, other than flash flooding, there were no other problems associated with severe weather. It was the result from the remains of a tropical low coming up from the south meeting with a slow moving cold front.

Some of these systems rely on water sensors to determine if there is rain present before kicking off...and.sometimes those sensors are problematic. And if you wait to turn off the sprinkler until after the heavy rain has started, chances are you're not going to run into the heavy rain to the control box and turn it all off. Not saying that's right, just a defect inherent in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Some of these systems rely on water sensors to determine if there is rain present before kicking off...and.sometimes those sensors are problematic. And if you wait to turn off the sprinkler until after the heavy rain has started, chances are you're not going to run into the heavy rain to the control box and turn it all off. Not saying that's right, just a defect inherent in the process.
    The new generation of Wifi enabled sprinkler controllers is great! They'll cancel a scheduled watering due to recent rain, forecast rain, high wind amounts, etc. I have a Rachio 2 but I got a family member the Orbit B Hyve and he loves it. One of my favorite home gadgets!

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    The new generation of Wifi enabled sprinkler controllers is great! They'll cancel a scheduled watering due to recent rain, forecast rain, high wind amounts, etc. I have a Rachio 2 but I got a family member the Orbit B Hyve and he loves it. One of my favorite home gadgets!
    Yeah, there nice. I think most will be resistant to spending money on this technology and some dont want a system connected to the cloud.

The cold front that moved across the state last night into this morning brought a much-needed drink to the southwest corner of Oklahoma - currently the thirstiest areas of the state. Looking at rainfall totals between 1"-2" in the areas remaining under the worst of the drought conditions in the state. Rainfall totals for the eastern half of the state will continue to rise as the rain clears from west to east.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The cold front that moved across the state last night into this morning brought a much-needed drink to the southwest corner of Oklahoma - currently the thirstiest areas of the state. Looking at rainfall totals between 1"-2" in the areas remaining under the worst of the drought conditions in the state. Rainfall totals for the eastern half of the state will continue to rise as the rain clears from west to east.

I feel this greatly underestimated how much rain MWC got. My apartment complex got a couple inches. Maybe that is just localized, but still. Good rain for much of the state.

Looks like unsettled weather returns at the end of next week into the first weekend of October. Another cold front interacting with what should be plentiful Gulf moisture, enhanced by a tropical system that will move over the West mid-next week.

Oh man. Early forecasts for OU-Texas weekend are horrible. Hoping things change.

Slight chance @ a random shower or two tonight. Best shot is NW and N OK.

Beautiful weekend on tap. And the following work week looks fantastic. Powerful cold front comes in somewhere around the 4th or 5th of October with rain and storms.

This pleases me greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Slight chance @ a random shower or two tonight. Best shot is NW and N OK.

Beautiful weekend on tap. And the following work week looks fantastic. Powerful cold front comes in somewhere around the 4th or 5th of October with rain and storms.
    And for those of us watching Dallas for OU-TX weather, the GFS has pulled back almost entirely from the monsoon. Mositure staying west for now.

Storms may be rolling into NW OK through Sat pm/evening, which might affect trips home.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    And for those of us watching Dallas for OU-TX weather, the GFS has pulled back almost entirely from the monsoon. Mositure staying west for now.

Storms may be rolling into NW OK through Sat pm/evening, which might affect trips home.
    Looks warm and humid but dry for the game. There could at least be some clouds around with a chance of storms late Saturday into Sunday.

Decent rain chances across OK for the weekend.

I am not looking forward to this weather change that is supposedly coming. Watching the TV meteorologists here is so damn aggravating.

Thread Information