Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I just can’t stand OU fans sometimes. Fair weather af. It was only a few years ago that half the state was calling for Bob’s head. Now they’re sucking his d like they’ve been loyal all along. If Mike gets the opportunity to go somewhere else and does well and we have a few down years, people will be quick to forget how bad they treated him during the bad times here
    mike did go somewhere else once... and Arizona wasn't good... doubt he will get another opportunity, unless it's a really small school.. he already had a shot, and looked so bad during it that no one gave him a call after he was fired, till brother bob called to bring him back here. So not too worried about your scenario playing out

Josh Heupel was fired by OU and immediately found another OC job at Utah State then Mizzou and is now the head coach at UCF which is currently ranked ahead of OU in the AP poll.

Mike will find another DC job, I assure you. Sometimes things just don't work out at a particular place and time.

Don’t forget about the crap play calling by Lincoln in the 2nd half.
    The offensive play calling could’ve and probably should’ve been more agressive in the second half because our defense was so terrible but I’m sorry, you can’t blame much of that loss on an offense that scored 40+ points on one of the best defenses in the country especially when your best player/QB was battling the flu. We were up two touchdowns at the half. Bottom line, the only way Georgia could beat us in that game was by scoring quick on the ground as they were a great rushing offense and a mediocre passing offense. You can’t allow that offense 5 TD runs of 20+ Yards (two of which were 50 and 70 yards) in which the RB goes completely untouched and expect to win against that caliber of team on that stage. That game was lost on defense, not offense.

Don’t completely disagree. Just trying to spread the blame around as it should. And our terrible kicker could use some blame as well.
    Man I just have to think you either didn’t watch the game or don’t have a firm understanding of how football is played if those are your conclusions from that game. I was there, our kicker and offense were not why we lost. Our “terrible kicker” hit field goals for 33 and 38 yards before having the one in overtime blocked. Sure, if we scored 75 points we would’ve beaten them, the point is that 40 should’ve been more than enough if our defense had even played at a mediocre level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Josh Heupel was fired by OU and immediately found another OC job at Utah State then Mizzou and is now the head coach at UCF which is currently ranked ahead of OU in the AP poll.

Mike will find another DC job, I assure you. Sometimes things just don't work out at a particular place and time.
    This exactly. Mike helped us win a National championship in 2000, left and then came back and was given every opportunity to succeed over 6 years. He could be the best coach in the world, and i do think he’s a very capable football coach, but whatever he was doing here wasn’t working and hasn’t shown any signs of improvement in those six years. It was time to make a change, though I wish that had come last off season over mid season if it was going to happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Man I just have to think you either didn’t watch the game or don’t have a firm understanding of how football is played if those are your conclusions from that game. I was there, our kicker and offense were not why we lost. Our “terrible kicker” hit field goals for 33 and 38 yards before having the one in overtime blocked. Sure, if we scored 75 points we would’ve beaten them, the point is that 40 should’ve been more than enough if our defense had even played at a mediocre level.
    I'll take a step back and agree with you. That game shouldn't be on Seibert but I will say that his game was very inconsistent with some pretty crappy punts to set UGA up with great field position. But then again, I never said our offense and kicker are the reasons why we lost the game. I am trying to put the blame on the entire team as opposed to all the "fans" slamming Stoops and saying he is the sole reason why we lost. I'm willing to bet that I have as much an understanding of the game as you do, even though you "were there!" Because being present at the game gives you more perspective than the rest of the people watching on tv?? Actually no, it doesn't. In fact, it probably gives you much less perspective of what happened being that you don't see all the replays and all the angles. But if it makes you feel that much more of an OU fan to say that you were there, then cool, just say that.

I never got on here and said that this was a bad decision and that Mike should keep his job. It pains me that he's fallin off this much, but I will agree that this is probably the best move for the program. I'm calling out all the people that are non-stop talking trash on Mike because it's easy to do behind the keyboard. Same thing happened with Venables back then, but now, he's the greatest coordinator to ever live and we "should've kept him." A couple of bad years and everyone was calling for his head. Then it was time for Bob to go, but no one will admit to it today. The guy might not coach again and probably was best that we part ways, but he's still a human being and doesn't deserve to get ripped like he did something malicious to the fanbase. Yet, "fans" sh%t on him like they have some true vested interest in the school. Tired of hearing it.
    Last edited by soonermike81; 10-08-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: exaggerated my thoughts

I'll take a step back and agree with you. That game shouldn't be on Seibert but I will say that his game was very inconsistent with some pretty crappy punts to set UGA up with great field position. But then again, I never said our offense and kicker are the reasons why we lost the game. I am trying to put the blame on the entire team as opposed to all the "fans" slamming Stoops and saying he is the sole reason why we lost. I'm willing to bet that I have as much an understanding of the game as you do, even though you "were there!" Because being present at the game gives you more perspective than the rest of the people watching on tv?? Actually no, it doesn't. In fact, it probably gives you much less perspective of what happened being that you don't see all the replays and all the angles. But if it makes you feel that much more of an OU fan to say that you were there, then cool, just say that.

I never got on here and said that this was a bad decision and that Mike should keep his job. It pains me that he's fallin off this much, but I will agree that this is probably the best move for the program. I'm calling out all the people that are non-stop talking trash on Mike because it's easy to do behind the keyboard. Same thing happened with Venables back then, but now, he's the greatest coordinator to ever live and we "should've kept him." A couple of bad years and everyone was calling for his head. Then it was time for Bob to go, but no one will admit to it today. The guy might not coach again and probably was best that we part ways, but he's still a human being and doesn't deserve to get ripped like he did something malicious to the fanbase. Yet, "fans" sh%t on him like they have some true vested interest in the school. Tired of hearing it.
    I actually said the same thing about Venables and Stoops a few pages back. But that was before the last two weeks of complete confusion on defense. I have been a Stoops (both) apologist for a long time, but Texas was the last straw for me. A change has been needed for awhile and i don’t see anyway he could’ve survived a performance like that in such a big game.

i agree that you probably get a better perspective by watching it on TV than in person, which is why I DVR’d the Rose Bowl and watched it after getting home. That didn’t change my opinion at all. Could we been more aggressive in the second half, sure but we still scored 40 on offense which would make even a modest defensive performance enough to win. We gave up 54 points to an offense that had to beat us on the ground...and allowed it to happen in dramatically bad fashion. Bad field position doesn’t excuse touchdown runs of 75, 50, 38, and 27 yards in which the RB went almost or completely untouched. Stop or at minimum slow down any of those rushes/drives (all of which took under 2:35 and three were 1 or 2 play drives) and it’s a different ball game. They had to score quick on the ground to win and our poor tackling allowed that to happen, not field position or conservative offense....poor tackling and defensive scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I actually said the same thing about Venables and Stoops a few pages back. But that was before the last two weeks of complete confusion on defense. I have been a Stoops (both) apologist for a long time, but Texas was the last straw for me. A change has been needed for awhile and i don’t see anyway he could’ve survived a performance like that in such a big game.

i agree that you probably get a better perspective by watching it on TV than in person, which is why I DVR’d the Rose Bowl and watched it after getting home. That didn’t change my opinion at all. Could we been more aggressive in the second half, sure but we still scored 40 on offense which would make even a modest defensive performance enough to win. We gave up 54 points to an offense that had to beat us on the ground...and allowed it to happen in dramatically bad fashion.
    Man, I'm just being a bitter old man. I'll stop with the arguing.

Blog Entries

This is sort of an interesting take/angle on Venables and Clemson....

https://clemson.rivals.com/news/a-de...venables-story

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

A gutsy move by OU and its football program (Stoops' termination) which at this point exonerates Stoops from a potential embarrassing loss against the rest of the schedule. The onus of this decision fell back on OU President Gallogly. Replacement of Stoops with an experienced defensive assistant (Ruffin McNeill) put the pressure on the defense to figure out in two weeks what they couldn't do in the off season.

The offense will have to complement the defense as the team attempts to 'run the table' to finish out the season.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I know this is a reach, but with the inclusion of Shane Beamer along with his dad hanging out more here, I'd like them to maybe take a look at bringing in Bud Foster in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I know this is a reach, but with the inclusion of Shane Beamer along with his dad hanging out more here, I'd like them to maybe take a look at bringing in Bud Foster in the offseason.
    I would love for this to happen.

Blog Entries

This is a little off topic, but the stuff going on with the Sports Animal and in particular Traber and Dusty as it relates to the Mike Stoops' story is hard to believe.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

For those of us not privvy to what you are referring to, what are you referring to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    For those of us not privvy to what you are referring to, what are you referring to?
    Earlier this week Mike did an interview with Dusty. It was very well done and during the interview Mike addressed the rumors of a fight with a player (Bolton) and vigorously denied it. Traber came on the radio next segment and said he has sources that say that is wrong and it did happen and he stood by that. Mike then calls in to Traber’s show and they go at it for about 6 minutes - you can listen on the website. Next day Dusty comes on with Craig H. and just goes after Traber - calls him a “coward”, says he just says whatever he wants without repercussion, says he has tried to get along with him but that time has passed. It was amazing. That is not on the WWLS website that I have found but there is a short segment during Dusty’s show where it is mentioned again and that is on their podcast. Traber mostly ignored it during his Thursday show, except for a caller or two. Seemed he was maybe told to stay away but that is just personal speculation. I don’t think Traber and Dusty will be spending the holidays together.

16. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

My out-of-towner opinion of Traber is someone needs to take him down a few pegs. Opinionated sports writers and casters can certainly make some valid points but, like Skip Bayless, some just want nothing more than to poke the bear

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My out-of-towner opinion of Traber is someone needs to take him down a few pegs. Opinionated sports writers and casters can certainly make some valid points but, like Skip Bayless, some just want nothing more than to poke the bear
    This fits Traber perfectly. And the longer he’s been on the radio the worse he gotten.

This is amazing. Is there a link to Dusty's comments?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    This is amazing. Is there a link to Dusty's comments?
    The main portion of his comments were during the segment with Craig H and I don’t find that, but there is some on his show at about the 9 minute mark - much less direct but still pretty strong. If link doesn’t work it is the 10-11 Mosters show. The Traber-Stoops call is also on their podcast page.

http://www.thesportsanimal.com/podcasts-2

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    The main portion of his comments were during the segment with Craig H and I don’t find that, but there is some on his show at about the 9 minute mark - much less direct but still pretty strong. If link doesn’t work it is the 10-11 Mosters show. The Traber-Stoops call is also on their podcast page.

http://www.thesportsanimal.com/podcasts-2
    Thanks. I listen to the Animal every day at work.

I have mixed opinions on Traber. On one hand he is quite entertaining, but on the other, he overwhelms everyone else on the air to the point that nobody else's opinion even matters.

I don't know how Josh manages to get on air every day. I would like to have him display more of a personality but I think Traber is too intimidating.

Al definitely opens up more when Traber leaves too.
    Last edited by floyd the barber; 10-14-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Grammar

I heard Dusty comment on Craig's show the following morning, and he seemed pretty disappointed in all that's going on and definitely was calling Traber out. It's been pretty good radio this week.

Loved when Dusty first came over to the Animal and his and Mark's show overlapped with Traber for about 30 minutes or so. That's what brought me back from my brief affair with the franchise. Dusty would actually go head to head with Traber all the time on many issues and it was great. Easily the strongest segment of sports radio on either station back then, imo.

Traber is good for radio, but he can be obnoxious as hell when no one else gets to voice an opinion. Would love if Dusty could just slap the sh%t out of him to shut him up just once.

Blog Entries

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Murray is showing to be nearly the QB as Mayfield. Can you imagine if he'd been 6-1 with that speed?

So far, l'm impressed with the improvement in the defense. LBs are filling gaps better, note they are lining up closer to the line then dropping back to disguise their assignments. Seems to be a little more pressure on the qb.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

25. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

The Sooners were fortunate to win. Had a friend who is TT grad say they would have won if their starting QB had not been injured. Maybe, but if OU had not spotted them 14 points up front, l don't think the game would have been close. The INTs got them excited and gave them the confidence they needed.

Thread Information