Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 84 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Blog Entries

OU University of Oklahoma Sports

Owen Field at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium - OUDaily.com

University of Oklahoma Sooners 2018 Football Schedule: http://www.espn.com/college-football...edule/_/id/201

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I understand it's to be 96 or so Saturday for the game. Did they install an air conditioner and fans over the summer at the stadium?

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

I have a friend who is the bell captain at the Skirvin, downtown. I asked him if there were any FAU fans staying at the hotel. He said not of any significance, but next week is going to be crazy. The Skirvin has 225 rooms, UCLA boosters have 200 of them and the event space for Friday and Saturday night. They are coming in to WRWA and eight charter buses are going to pick them up along with two Ryder trucks to deliver luggage. He hasn't seen this kind of support since Notre Dame and probably won't until Nebraska comes to town in a few years.

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I have a friend who is the bell captain at the Skirvin, downtown. I asked him if there were any FAU fans staying at the hotel. He said not of any significance, but next week is going to be crazy. The Skirvin has 225 rooms, UCLA boosters have 200 of them and the event space for Friday and Saturday night. They are coming in to WRWA and eight charter buses are going to pick them up along with two Ryder trucks to deliver luggage. He hasn't seen this kind of support since Notre Dame and probably won't until Nebraska comes to town in a few years.
    Wow and that with OU being picked as 30 point favorites. Gotta love those dedicated fans.

How do college football schedules work? I know they play everybody in their conference, but how are out of conference opponents chosen? Dart board or is it set at the NCAA?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Wow and that with OU being picked as 30 point favorites. Gotta love those dedicated fans.
    Maybe a little Chip Kelly factor going on too...that's awesome. We normally go to at least one OU away game a year and those trips are always fun. Ohio State last year. Nothing planned this year, but may go to UCLA game next year out there. (I don't count OU-Tx. as an away game).

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    How do college football schedules work? I know they play everybody in their conference, but how are out of conference opponents chosen? Dart board or is it set at the NCAA?
    The Big 12 is the only power 5 conference in which the members play every conference member every year. Out of conference opponents are chosen by the AD/HC with some conferences imposing restrictions on playing teams outside of D1 level competition. NCAA has nothing to do with scheduling. Game times are dictated by television network executives.

In addition to what Jersey Boss stated, the out of conference games are contracted well into the future for the top level teams. If a team drops out for some reason they will usually pick up a "money game" from a lower level D-IA (called Bowl Subdivision now) or a D-IAA (Championship Subdivision) school to fill in for the dropped game. OU has some of those games scheduled out to 2030.
    SoonerStats.com - Future OU Football Schedules

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Each school has a different philosophy. The 3 state schools each schedule way differently than each other.

OU- usually tries to schedule 1 big name, 1 medium and then 1 lower school. All from D-1. The big name is usually a 1-1. OU does this because the fans want these games. OU doesn't really have any marquee conference home games with UT always being in Dallas, so OU has to bring in bigger names to fill seats. Every so often the schedule a 1-aa school but it doesn't happen every year.

OSU- usually tries to schedule 1 middle of the pack p5, and 1 lower conference, then 1 1-AA school. OSU has a built in big name conference opponent every year with UT and OU alternating visiting Stillwater. Sometimes OSU doesn't even schedule a P5 school in non conference. This is more of the SEC or KSU approach. Schedule a bunch of non conference wins to make sure you go bowling every year.

TU- usually tries to do a couple of home and homes or 2-1's with p5 schools. They will also take the 1 off payout game. They went to Notre Dame a few years ago for a paycheck and they are going to Texas this year for a payout. TU will also schedule a gimmee game or 2 with lower level D-1 or 1AA schools.

^^Pretty much
    When OU has a I-AA school in the schedule now it is usually to fill in for a bigger name dropped out or they couldn't find another mid-minor for the third home game. It happened a few years ago when someone dropped out of the contract because of coaching changes or something and MTSU was open at the late date to schedule a game. That is usually the "money game"

UT had a 2-1 with Wyoming a few years ago and 15 or so years ago OU had a 1-1 with Air Force. The home and home is typical for when they schedule the service academies, which is rare. I wish CU was still in the Big 12, it would have been great if the OU and Tech games were opposite years. We could have gone to Boulder for a game every year. Now it would be nice if one of them played CU, CSU, AF or Wyoming up here. We went to a Tech-UNM game in Albuquerque one year then came to Denver for a Broncos game back when we lived in Austin. My wife never made it to a Tech game in Austin in her 20 years there.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    ^^Pretty much
    When OU has a I-AA school in the schedule now it is usually to fill in for a bigger name dropped out or they couldn't find another mid-minor for the third home game. It happened a few years ago when someone dropped out of the contract because of coaching changes or something and MTSU was open at the late date to schedule a game. That is usually the "money game"

UT had a 2-1 with Wyoming a few years ago and 15 or so years ago OU had a 1-1 with Air Force. The home and home is typical for when they schedule the service academies, which is rare. I wish CU was still in the Big 12, it would have been great if the OU and Tech games were opposite years. We could have gone to Boulder for a game every year. Now it would be nice if one of them played CU, CSU, AF or Wyoming up here. We went to a Tech-UNM game in Albuquerque one year then came to Denver for a Broncos game back when we lived in Austin. My wife never made it to a Tech game in Austin in her 20 years there.
    I would love to see OU and OSU schedule more teams in NM, CO, UT and WY. Cool destinations and an easy trip for in-state fans, plus gets the team more exposure in the Mountain West.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I would love to see OU and OSU schedule more teams in NM, CO, UT and WY. Cool destinations and an easy trip for in-state fans, plus gets the team more exposure in the Mountain West.
    The only problem with that is there are very few quality teams out that way that would help OU's strength of schedule. If they had to pick between a crappy team in Georgia or Florida vs a crappy team in Wyoming, you schedule where recruits are.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Yeah aside from the AFA, I don't see that happening. No value in OU going to that region. You're only going to recruit that region on a very selective basis, if at all, and with the quality of teams in the area being rather meh, I don't think you'd get much fan travel.

Anyone in this region would be replacing the second tier non-conference team on the schedule except for maybe CU. UT did a 2-1 with Wyoming and OU a 1-1 with AFA. A 2-1 with CSU wouldn't be too bad as a second tier NC game. Tech playing one of them is more likely although that may be too big of a step up in their NC schedule. There are some good players in the region but nowhere near the sheer quantity that are in the recruiting hot beds.

Just wishing it so for purely selfish reasons.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Good day NOT to be a Nebraska, Fla. State or Arkansas fan (among others). Great day for OU and OSU. TCU unfortunately imploded over about a 4 minute stretch or the Big 12 would have had a banner day.....led by KU of course.

OU defense continues to be sub par as it relates to a championship level defense. No way OU gets to a playoff or wins the Big 12. This teams culture for defense is simply weak and if you watch elite teams ALA,CLEMSON, OHST etc defense wins championships. OU will also lose to TEXAS this year as well as WVA and TCU

OU not losing to Texas or TCU....Texas beat TCU...lol��������

The spread was 30............

Fire. Mike. Stoops.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    OU not losing to Texas or TCU....Texas beat TCU...lol��������
    G.Walker, my MAIN point was the NC picture. I attended both the Orange Bowl against Clemson and the Rose Bowl against Georgia and I SAW OU's defense get hammered when matched against other top tier teams. Like I said OU will not win a NC playing lackluster defense. IF Texas and or WVA offenses are on par with OU's then I predict we lose those games. And yes I would fire Stoops. Just my opinion

And just to get into the playoff, perception matters. This doesn't help that. And likely won't be forgotten.

I'm an OSU fan (I know we were overrated...), but I was slightly surprised that all the heat is coming on to the defense. Was the offense not expected to drop 40 or so on these guys?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    And just to get into the playoff, perception matters. This doesn't help that. And likely won't be forgotten.

I'm an OSU fan (I know we were overrated...), but I was slightly surprised that all the heat is coming on to the defense. Was the offense not expected to drop 40 or so on these guys?
    Pretty tough for the offense to drop 40 when they had the ball for literally 15 minutes of regulation.

25. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

We lost to Iowa State (8-5) last year and ended up ranked #2. Our Big 12 opponents play more predictable offense than Army that we’re much more used to seeing. If we play like we’re capable of we’re fine. If not I’ll probably join the something needs to change bandwagon.

Thread Information