Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Looking like the baton may have been passed to Texas. They may run the Big 12 for the next few years.

OU needs to hope that we have another Heisman level QB waiting in the wings because the talent level on defense simply isn't capable of competing.
    Such a conclusion so soon? It's early 2nd quarter and only 14-6.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Such a conclusion so soon? It's early 2nd quarter and only 14-6.
    Gotta hope for the reverse-jinx on this one. Worked for the Thunder!

3. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I hope Jake got his baton back. LOL

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

OU in the playoff! Next stop, Alabama in Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    OU in the playoff! Next stop, Alabama in Miami!
    Well, we got what we wanted OU in the National Playoff. Well, I should be overwhelmed with happiness and optimism, but I am not. I criticized my alma mater after attending BOTH their games against Clemson in Miami and Georgia in LA. I have stated on numerous occasions that OU's competition in the Big 12 does not prepare the team to compete well with the elite of the SEC or B10 or the Clemsons of the CFB world. I think OU is going to get embarressed and it will not improve the reputation of the B12 or OU which has become the butt of so many classic instant replays. OU is a VERY GOOD team, but elite this year, maybe not. At full strength we would be challanged to be Ala or Clemson with the injuries, I see a first round exit again. Some will say getting to the round of 4 three times is good and I do agree but an 0-3 record in those games suggests OU is ill equipped when slotted against more formidable opponents with all the marbles on the line. I'll watch this one from my couch and hope I don't turn away before halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Well, we got what we wanted OU in the National Playoff. Well, I should be overwhelmed with happiness and optimism, but I am not. I criticized my alma mater after attending BOTH their games against Clemson in Miami and Georgia in LA. I have stated on numerous occasions that OU's competition in the Big 12 does not prepare the team to compete well with the elite of the SEC or B10 or the Clemsons of the CFB world. I think OU is going to get embarressed and it will not improve the reputation of the B12 or OU which has become the butt of so many classic instant replays. OU is a VERY GOOD team, but elite this year, maybe not. At full strength we would be challanged to be Ala or Clemson with the injuries, I see a first round exit again. Some will say getting to the round of 4 three times is good and I do agree but an 0-3 record in those games suggests OU is ill equipped when slotted against more formidable opponents with all the marbles on the line. I'll watch this one from my couch and hope I don't turn away before halftime.
    Not really sure how you can say that OU isn’t prepared to compete against elite competition in the SEC or the Big 10 when they more often than not beat the SEC and Big 10 teams they play during the season and in bowl games. It took Georgia 2 overtimes to beat OU last year and they scored 50+ points on the one of the top defenses in the country. Defense lost the game for OU but their defense competed just as well as Georgia’s did in that game and even had a touchdown off a turnover. The defense needs to be better and hopefully will be eventually with a new coordinator but to say OU can’t “compete” or wasn’t prepared to “compete” is just being overly negative like you always are. The defense has been abnormally bad this year and will probably be the reason we lose to Bama but they have risen up and helped win our last two games so who knows? Maybe they’ll surprise us in the orange bowl.

And Christ, we are not 0-3 in the playoff, we haven't even played the third game yet. We're definitely an underdog, but that doesn't mean it's an automatic loss.

I would rather OU have a shot in the playoff and fail against one of the best teams ever than accept defeat and play in an inferior bowl game...against a team they may have lost to anyway.

Besides, as long as I comment on here during the game that they suck and are going to lose, they'll win. I'm 3-0 so far this year.

I would rather OU have a shot in the playoff and fail against one of the best teams ever than accept defeat and play in an inferior bowl game...against a team they may have lost to anyway.

Besides, as long as I comment on here during the game that they suck and are going to lose, they'll win. I'm 3-0 so far this year.

Keep it up!!! Hoping the national narrative stays the way it is and gives us more motivation. I know we shouldn’t need this and these kids need to be able to get up for any game, big or small. But if the public is completely against us, it doesn’t hurt.

We definitely need marquise brown healthy and bookie to continue riding the pine, though.
    Last edited by soonermike81; 12-03-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Grammar

Exactly! The only way we have a chance to win a championship, however slim, is by playing the game. I would much rather lose in the playoff than win some somewhat meaningless consolation game in bowl. At least in the playoff you have a chance to do something greater.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Keep it up!!! Hoping the national narrative stays the way it is and gives us more motivation. I know we shouldn’t need this and these kids need to be able to get up for any game, big or small. But if the public is completely against us, it doesn’t hurt.

We definitely need marquise brown healthy and bookie to continue riding the pine, though.
    We're definitely better in an underdog role. No one will be giving us a chance, especially on defense, over the next month which only helps. I would feel even better if Tagovailoa won the heisman so we wouldn't have that curse following us into the game...though no doubt I hope Kyler wins it.

Blog Entries

Straw Poll on the Athletic has Kyler overtaking Tua for Heisman.

Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray is the winner of The Athletic’s Heisman Straw Poll, ending Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa’s season-long reign atop the poll by a point margin of 96-71. Murray garnered 28 of 34 possible first-place votes, with Tagovailoa earning five first-place votes and Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins getting one.

I think Alabama is about due another humiliating loss to an underdog. Either way though OU going to the final four in 3 of the last 4 season is pretty impressive. There is just no way to spin that ugly.

Blog Entries

No matter the outcome of the OU-Bama game; it helps the Sooners with recruits when you make trips to the Final Four. Everybody can't play for Alabama & Clemson; so that helps Oklahoma who owns the Big 12. Texas A & M, Missouri, Nebraska & Colorado left the Big 12 for the SEC, Big 10 & Pac 12 conferences; let us not kid ourselves--any of those teams make the Final Four yet.

We don't need to get in a 'black & blue' conference where teams beat up one another in a year long battle that's sure to take its toll come conference and final four appearances.

Continue to recruit Texas, California, Florida & Pennsylvania where the biscuits, gravy & collard green recruits resign.

Blog Entries

University of Oklahoma offers athletes & football recruits an opportunity of a lifetime:

University of Oklahoma is a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, economic and health-care needs of the state, region and nation. The Norman campus serves as home to all of the university’s academic programs except health-related fields. The OU Health Sciences Center, which is located in Oklahoma City, is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. Both the Norman and Health Sciences Center campuses offer programs at the Schusterman Center, the site of OU-Tulsa. OU enrolls almost 32,000 students, has more than 2,800 full-time faculty members, and has 21 colleges offering 172 majors at the baccalaureate level, 156 majors at the master’s level, 81 doctoral-level majors and 54 graduate certificates. The university’s annual operating budget is $2.05 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    We're definitely better in an underdog role. No one will be giving us a chance, especially on defense, over the next month which only helps. I would feel even better if Tagovailoa won the heisman so we wouldn't have that curse following us into the game...though no doubt I hope Kyler wins it.
    Yup, so far seems all the pundits think we're going to get destroyed. "Will be a route, Bama won't punt once, Bama is going to put up 1,000 yards." Some of the things I've been hearing from media and average joe. Let's keep up that talk for sure. I think Kyler deserves it for sure, especially after Tua's performance in SEC game. But they're saying 10% of voters already submitted before the game, so who knows what's going to happen. I can see some of Kyler's votes going to Haskins now after the way he finished the season. Would love the curse to fall on Tua! It's way early but so far, most of the money is on Bama giving the points. Probably a lot of homerism, but I feel better about the game day by day.

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

OU +450 on the M/L is a good value bet to me. +14 is attractive too but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on either side of the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    OU +450 on the M/L is a good value bet to me. +14 is attractive too but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on either side of the spread.
    +450 is great value imo too. But damn, is that the homer in me talking? Gotta separate brain and heart when it comes to gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    +450 is great value imo too. But damn, is that the homer in me talking? Gotta separate brain and heart when it comes to gambling.
    I put $100 on ou to win it all so it’s not the homer in you

20. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Why waste the time and energy even stumbling over to your sofa and watching at all? I mean, if OU isn't prepared to play and is just going to lose anyway your time would just be better spent watching old episodes of SpongeBob.

Blog Entries

With the Urban Meyer departure it will be interesting to see if Alex Grinch stays as co-def coordinator. He's been rumored to be on the short list for the OU def coordinator job (before the Meyer announcement) along with the Bama guy. The CFB coaching carousel (and the dominoes that tend to fall when a move is made) is always interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Why waste the time and energy even stumbling over to your sofa and watching at all? I mean, if OU isn't prepared to play and is just going to lose anyway your time would just be better spent watching old episodes of SpongeBob.
    Criticize when you've spent your time and treasure traveling far and wide (for many years) to support the Sooners. I've earned the right to love my team but be disappointed in some of their performances.

Criticize when you've spent your time and treasure traveling far and wide (for many years) to support the Sooners. I've earned the right to love my team but be disappointed in some of their performances.
    I’ve been to every national championship and playoff game we’ve lost since 2003. I’ve definitely and painfully earned it haha.

24. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I've been to several bowl games including the Natl Champ game vs. SC like 15 years ago. Sure it's disappointing to lose, but we haven't lost nearly all of them. Go for the game but have fun, enjoy the scenery, meet people, eat some good food and live life! Tis far better to play a team over your head than be far better than your opponent and have nothing to gain.

I don't follow this close, but how did OU do on signing day? With OU seemingly always in the championship playoffs, winning the conference title what , 4 years in a row.....having back to back Heisman winners, you think they would be in the top 5 if not top 2, but have not heard anything of it?

Thread Information