Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

1. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

At least LR was being honest when he said he wasn't going to LSU.

Blog Entries

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Reported that Riley was against going to the SEC. That's why he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Reported that Riley was against going to the SEC. That's why he left.
    This is why I think OU should hire a successful coordinator from the SEC.

The head coach didn't want to compete in the SEC, so OU should hire someone who has already competed and had success in the SEC. Plus, whoever that is, already has had recruiting experience and connections in the SEC.

If they go after a name, like Texas did, expect the same results. Get someone who has already competed on that level.

On one hand it was a terrible way to leave OU. Talk about burned bridges.

On the other hand, we all have left jobs for better jobs. Now I don't see how USC is a better job than OU, but that's not for me to say.

Hope the best for OU.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    On one hand it was a terrible way to leave OU. Talk about burned bridges.

On the other hand, we all have left jobs for better jobs. Now I don't see how USC is a better job than OU, but that's not for me to say.

Hope the best for OU.
    I don't really blame Lincoln at all. This should very much be viewed as a Durantian move.

His finesse style was always going to be suspect against clutch, southern defenses. And it will be much easier for him to win bigly in the PAC.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Wish Lincoln Riley the best, he'll have the west coast as a new domain.

USC's program will need a spark to compete with cross-town rival UCLA & PAC 12 brotherhood. The Trojan defense lacks the swagger it once possessed and he has a wealth of California based players if he can keep 'em in that region.

The future move to the SEC now has me having second thoughts after witnessing Nebraska, Arkansas & Texas A & M's move to the Big 10 & the SEC where these former Big 12 and SWC teams chose to move--it hasn't been as productive (Wins vs. losses) as anticipated.

Coale, Kruger, and now Riley. All eyes are on Gasso.

reports out now that Linc to USC talks started months ago ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    reports out now that Linc to USC talks started months ago ..
    It makes sense if you consider the fact that Lincoln didn't see this as a lifetime job like Stoops did. Much like with KD, we considered his stratospheric ascent to be coupled with appreciation and loyalty. But it seems like Riley thought he had peaked at OU, having already produced 2 heisman qbs and endless offensive NFL talent, but probably tired of having to gameplan to score 100 points to win a playoff game. Even with all the in-season non-conference dominance, most people were against OU getting to the playoffs again, and that probably had to grind on Lincoln.

I always thought that going to the SEC was going to come with some growing pains but ultimately end with OU still getting offensive talent and maybe having a better shot at defensive recruits. It seems that maybe Riley didn't want to take a hit to his brand as an offensive wizard by taking his lumps at the SEC. He unfortunately played this perfectly.

It's going to be interesting to see how the program pivots. Not that it's a long-term solution, but I think bringing Bob back for a season or 2, ala Bill Snyder and then naming another successor wouldn't be a terrible way to go.

If you have to pay Bob $10M to come in for a year to keep current players and try and salvage the recruiting class, you do it.

Also, I know nothing's changing to prevent this from happening this go round, but the transfer portal should prevent players from going to a university that contains any coach they have been on a team with for a period of 2 full seasons. I.e. Caleb Williams could transfer to USC for the 2024 season, or just about any other team for the 2022 season. OU should quietly threaten USC and departing coaches with litigation if any current players are poached.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    If you have to pay Bob $10M to come in for a year to keep current players and try and salvage the recruiting class, you do it.

Also, I know nothing's changing to prevent this from happening this go round, but the transfer portal should prevent players from going to a university that contains any coach they have been on a team with for a period of 2 full seasons. I.e. Caleb Williams could transfer to USC for the 2024 season, or just about any other team for the 2022 season. OU should quietly threaten USC and departing coaches with litigation if any current players are poached.
    The trend is more freedom of movement, not less. Your proposals are out of step with the reality on the ground.

And it really doesn't make sense to punish the students for what a coach did.

I know this is what the NCAA likes to do, but it doesn't seem right, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

Absolutely not. Wouldn't be the worst thing but we need a new long term hire.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That's not how things work nowadays. Coaches move around seemingly every year. A program can entice a new coach all they want, but it doesn't go both ways. A coach can leave any time.

Unless you have Dabo Sweeney, Harbaugh or Saban, don't count on them for being there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The trend is more freedom of movement, not less. Your proposals are out of step with the reality on the ground.
    I understand that's part of the trend, but this is not a thing in professional sports. Sure, if everyone is a free agent at the time, great, but a coach should not be able to jump ship and hamstring the organization he's leaving by taking all his players with him. Notice I said nothing about recruits. If he wants to drag the 10 best players with him to the place, that's fine. If the current players want to leave, that's fine. But the coach shouldn't get to benefit by changing organizations and bankrupting the one he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    And it really doesn't make sense to punish the students for what a coach did.

I know this is what the NCAA likes to do, but it doesn't seem right, imo.
    As per above fine with players leaving, just not to a school with a previous coach, and even that would be fine after 2 completed seasons for those who haven't really started their careers.

I'm not saying we have to do it. But if you gather that current players are not excited about your initial options and they can be sold on Bob holding us over for a year or 2 while we identify the correct coach...well... that's a luxury option most organizations don't have.

I hope we can find our next coach that will bring home another National Championship next week. And if we know we've found the right guy then sign him and pay him. Just don't think we should gauge the need to utilize Bob on a temporary basis *if* that's the best option we have on the table. Not necessarily saying it is.

I think it is going to be Brent Venables. Originally I didn’t think it was a good option, but am starting to come around. If he hires a young innovative offense coordinator, like Jeff Lebby (Ole Miss) and a highly regarded SEC D-coordinator, maybe Ecko from AM or one of the Georgia coordinators, BV can be more of a CEO type of coach. Plus he could probably keep Demarco, Thibs, Cain, BB and Joe John. That way the entire 2022 recruiting class isn’t completely blown up and may limit the number of transfers.

I also have a hard time thinking of a current head coach that would a good fit without a total rebuild.
    - Kiffin or Urban - would be exciting, but too much baggage
    - Mark Stoops or Heupel - just seems too weird
    - Luke Fickell - probably going to Norte Dame
    - Shane Beamer - only one year as coach, but could replace BV in the same scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    That's not how things work nowadays. Coaches move around seemingly every year. A program can entice a new coach all they want, but it doesn't go both ways. A coach can leave any time.

Unless you have Dabo Sweeney, Harbaugh or Saban, don't count on them for being there next year.
    that is still the way it works with major programs that hire successful coaches. The top tier will always retain their successful coaching hire for a decent amount of time unless they jump to the NFL. Lincoln is the exception, not the rule.

that is still the way it works with major programs that hire successful coaches. The top tier will always retain their successful coaching hire for a decent amount of time unless they jump to the NFL. Lincoln is the exception, not the rule.
    Another exception to the rule is Brian Kelly leaving a 10 year career at Notre Dame for LSU. Just as shocking considering the investigation going on at LSU.

Another exception to the rule is Brian Kelly leaving a 10 year career at Notre Dame for LSU. Just as shocking considering the investigation going on at LSU.
    That one's a head-scratcher for me. Makes less sense than Riley leaving for USC, in my opinion. LSU is a lesser job than ND, to me.

He was still at ND for 10 years. It was surprising though. Guarantee they didn’t want to match LSU’s offer for a guy that’s gotten them close but not over the hump. Had he won a national championship at ND, he’d still be the coach there.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    That one's a head-scratcher for me. Makes less sense than Riley leaving for USC, in my opinion. LSU is a lesser job than ND, to me.
    Also LSU is looking at an investigation concerning sexual improprieties. ND and OU were schools coaches retired from, were fired from, or went to the NFL from. Unheard of was going to another university.

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    The current student athletes don't know the history of ND football, it just doesn't have the cache and draw that it did at one time. It is just tougher to recruit--tough admission standards, religious, cold, and rural. It just doesn't have the wide appeal. LSU is just way easier to recruit--better conference, warm weather, easier admissions, 3 national titles in the last 20 years under three different coaches! ND hasn't won the title since 1988! To these kids that's ancient history!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    The current student athletes don't know the history of ND football, it just doesn't have the cache and draw that it did at one time. It is just tougher to recruit--tough admission standards, religious, cold, and rural. It just doesn't have the wide appeal. LSU is just way easier to recruit--better conference, warm weather, easier admissions, 3 national titles in the last 20 years under three different coaches! ND hasn't won the title since 1988! To these kids that's ancient history!
    I never thought Baton Rouge was a great area. Rural, hot and humid? Not sure which is closer, Baton Rouge to New Orleans or South Bend to Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    This would indicate there are quality football players who would call b.s. to your take on today's student athlete.

Notre Dame football 2022 recruiting class still No. 1 in Rivals rankings
    https://notredame.rivals.com/news/no...ivals-rankings Notre Dame 2021 Football Commits
    https://247sports.com/college/notre-...tball/Commits/

Thread Information