Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222368 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Blog Entries

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Again, being in a weaker conference hasn’t hurt Clemson at all. They’ve won 29 straight and very well could push it to 30 and another national title. Blaming everything on the big 12 is just lazy and frankly, ignorant. It obviously didn’t help that OU ended up down three starters on defense but they are going to have to continue the recruiting surge on defense to improve in the playoff. It is OU’s fault alone that this keeps happening. You can’t blame anyone other than the coaching staff. That said, given what they had to work with this year with Hurts at QB, all the linemen we had to replace, and what little Grinch had to work with in his first year...it was a hell of a coaching job to even get us there. Recruiting on defense will have to continue to improve or we will never have any real shot. We will continue to make it to the playoff if we are undefeated and will likely still get in over most one loss teams if we win the conference, lose to decent or good teams and keep attempting to play a tougher non-conference schedule than the majority of the NCAA.

To put things into perspective, out of 130 schools in the FBS, 11 total have made it to the playoff. 6 of those teams have won at least one game and only 3 have won the title. Only 4 of those 11 teams have gotten repeat bids to the CFP and only Clemson and Alabama have made it to the CFP more often than OU so OU despite our inability to win, OU is still in good company, especially when you look at the entire field...I would much rather win a game or two but to act like OU is some joke of a program in a joke of a conference is an extreme over reaction.
    +1, good observation and excellent response PhiAlpha.

Many programs would love to be in OU's position--regardless of the playoff loses.

Admittedly, fans were hyped for OU to advance to the championship and surely no one expected the team to get a behind the barn beat down. Players have to be more disciplined (RE: Suspensions handed down by Riley); like the direction the program is headed--it takes years to attract a steady diet of steady recruits to build the program and to replace those who graduate and more importantly leave for the pros early.

It would have been a tall hill to climb with those suspended by Lincoln Riley. LSU exploited the venerable OU defense; their players played exponentially.

Don't be surprised if LSU dethrones Clemson--the boys from the Bayou are solid at every position.

It takes more than a year to fix what was one of the worst defenses in college football; and one of the worst ever for a quality program.

We made great strides this year but it will take 2-3 seasons and recruiting classes before the defense is national championship level.

Also, there were 3 incredibly good teams this season, which is unusual.

You can win conference championships with a good program but to win the National Championship, you need a ton of things to go your way. The stars aligned for LSU this season: a transfer QB that broke records; a coach nobody wanted -- including LSU -- found the right chemistry; they have 3-4 NFL quality receivers; have the best DB in CFB and an elite pass-rusher, etc.

When we last won in 2000, I believe we did not have one starting player miss a down due to injury the entire season. Think about that. And of course, down the stretch we won with defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It takes more than a year to fix what was one of the worst defenses in college football; and one of the worst ever for a quality program.

We made great strides this year but it will take 2-3 seasons and recruiting classes before the defense is national championship level.

Also, there were 3 incredibly good teams this season, which is unusual.

You can win conference championships with a good program but to win the National Championship, you need a ton of things to go your way. The stars aligned for LSU this season: a transfer QB that broke records; a coach nobody wanted -- including LSU -- found the right chemistry; they have 3-4 NFL quality receivers; have the best DB in CFB and an elite pass-rusher, etc.

When we last won in 2000, I believe we did not have one starting player miss a down due to injury the entire season. Think about that. And of course, down the stretch we won with defense.
    No suspensions in 2000 either. People also forget that our NFL caliber TE and one of Hurt’s favorite targets retired mid season due to multiple concussions.

The success we’ve had at QB has been pretty remarkable as well. Our worst QB of the last 5 years was the heisman runner up and even though he was much less talented as a passer than the previous two and was working with a depleted offensive line, somehow Riley built the offense around him, won the conference and made it to the playoff for his 3rd year in 3 years as a head coach. Yesterday sucked, no doubt, but this season was still extremely impressive by any teams standards (or at least any team not named Alabama or Clemson).

You have every right to prop OU up but the facts do not support your excuses. I watched the play, first hand and the talent and intensity was markedly higher for LSU. I do not know what game you watched but both our offense and defense were manhandled by LSU. I would venture to say the several thousand OU fans leaving at the half would agree with me if honest. This was embarrassing for me as a Sooner Alum and fan since childhood. IMO no other way to view it.

I consider any season that includes a conference championship a success.

What happens after that is largely based on fortune, good or otherwise.

6. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    You have every right to prop OU up but the facts do not support your excuses. I watched the play, first hand and the talent and intensity was markedly higher for LSU. I do not know what game you watched but both our offense and defense were manhandled by LSU. I would venture to say the several thousand OU fans leaving at the half would agree with me if honest. This was embarrassing for me as a Sooner Alum and fan since childhood. IMO no other way to view it.
    Yeah, it was a bad loss and the team that went in there wasn't as good as LSU. What you need to o is find a less negative way to present it so people wont bash on you. It was an extremely successful year, the defense will continue to get new blood, the Rattler or Mordecai era begins and we'll get back again next year..Nothing wrong with this tem that a decent defense can't resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Again, 126 other programs would’ve been glad to have the success we had this season and be in the playoff four out of 7 years. Not the desired result but per usual...this is a massive overreaction to a game in which even Vegas thought we would lose by at least two scores. Yes, you’re right, this season we didn’t have the same level of talent that the number 1 team in the country did (which should’ve been obvious after we slid into the playoff during a year everyone predicted we would take a step back) but your reasoning with the conference being the main issue, etc make zero sense and acting like OU is just a pile of crap because they can’t accomplish what only 6 total programs have been able to do since the playoffs started and go a step father and win the whole thing like only 3 other teams have managed to do is ridiculous.

I have heard a few OU fans blaming being in the big 12 for the CFP woes. This is just absurd. Playing in the Big 12 has put OU In the CFP 4 times in 6 years. In a year that sees the PAC left out in the cold and the dismal ACC watching their champ prepare for the national championship, the argument becomes even more absurd. OU got beat by a superior team and that’s ok. Playing in any other conference this year (besides probably the PAC) OU isn’t in the CFP at all. Next year everything will be different. That’s why everyone loves college football.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

Doolittle's 22 points carry Oklahoma over Texas 72-62 https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401169687

Best game the Sooners have put together in early conference play. This game gave me hope that OU can be 3-0 in conference when Kansas comes in next Tuesday. Next up, ISU on Sat. in Ames.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Best game the Sooners have put together in early conference play. This game gave me hope that OU can be 3-0 in conference when Kansas comes in next Tuesday. Next up, ISU on Sat. in Ames.
    Sadly Sooners played their worst game in Ames

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

On a somewhat related note on campus about OU. Lime and Bird are no longer operating in Norman at all. OU just signed a year long contract with a new scooter company.

http://www.oudaily.com/culture/ou-s-...zYF123GOlhFiK8

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    On a somewhat related note on campus about OU. Lime and Bird are no longer operating in Norman at all. OU just signed a year long contract with a new scooter company.

http://www.oudaily.com/culture/ou-s-...zYF123GOlhFiK8
    Pretty sure Lime is still in Norman, just not on campus. There were a bunch of them on Campus Corner on Saturday.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Pretty sure Lime is still in Norman, just not on campus. There were a bunch of them on Campus Corner on Saturday.
    I can see them for rent all around the campus on my Uber app right now too.

Blog Entries

University of Oklahoma Soccer Stadium

Accommodation for 5,000 seating with regulations for U.S. Open Cup play.

Blog Entries

239th Edition--Bedlam in Norman @ Lloyd Noble Center

and OU now leads "the state basketball school" 140-99 all time

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and OU now leads "the state basketball school" 140-99 all time
    That's like saying Texas has a better football program than OU because Texas leads the head to head by 15 or 20 games.

Also, it's helped OU that OSU is in the midst of one of it's worst decades of basketball. I'm guessing Boynton gets until next year with Cade Cunningham and then he'll be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    That's like saying Texas has a better football program than OU because Texas leads the head to head by 15 or 20 games.

Also, it's helped OU that OSU is in the midst of one of it's worst decades of basketball. I'm guessing Boynton gets until next year with Cade Cunningham and then he'll be gone.
    the difference is that ou and texas are basicly even in modern college football .. and no one claims one is much better than the other .. they are both "blue bloods"

OU is ahead of osu in basketball in about every metric all time

OU is the better basketball program

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the difference is that ou and texas are basicly even in modern college football .. and no one claims one is much better than the other .. they are both "blue bloods"

OU is ahead of osu in basketball in about every metric all time

OU is the better basketball program
    Lol I'm sorry what? Look up who has more national championships (or in this case, actually has national championships), final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens and conference championships. Those all favor OSU. Who has two legendary coaches? OSU. Who has a historic arena that's been named the loudest in the country? Actually, let's strip it back and just go with who has an arena that isn't falling apart and a complete dump? OSU.

You really have no clue what you're talking about with the "OU is ahead of OSU in basketball in about every metric all time". I mean that couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing OU is ahead in is the head to head.

Blog Entries

Really felt that when OSU hired Mike Boynton the program was headed in the right direction.

He's a young high energy coach who seemed to relate to the players. The basketball program (players, recruits) itself has taken a step back.

Facility wise, Gallagher-Iba Arena is the best collegiate owned facility in the state. Once referred to as 'Cameron Indoor West'--Gallagher-Iba now topped Duke's facility by 4,000 seats.

GIA is a classic example of expanding too much. Extremely difficult to ever sell that place out. For that matter, when OU finally gets around to renovating or replacing the LNC, I would hope they reduce capacity to 10k or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Lol I'm sorry what? Look up who has more national championships (or in this case, actually has national championships), final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens and conference championships. Those all favor OSU. Who has two legendary coaches? OSU. Who has a historic arena that's been named the loudest in the country? Actually, let's strip it back and just go with who has an arena that isn't falling apart and a complete dump? OSU.

You really have no clue what you're talking about with the "OU is ahead of OSU in basketball in about every metric all time". I mean that couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing OU is ahead in is the head to head.
    140-99 says it all. Too bad for little red-headed brother.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    140-99 says it all. Too bad for little red-headed brother.
    Then I'm sure you'll agree Texas is the better football program since 62-48-5 says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    GIA is a classic example of expanding too much. Extremely difficult to ever sell that place out. For that matter, when OU finally gets around to renovating or replacing the LNC, I would hope they reduce capacity to 10k or less.
    They didn't over expand. It's just tough to sell the place out when you're having a decade of bad basketball. Take a look at OU football in the 90's. You're not going to have sellouts when the product is bad.

Thread Information