Here are some facts I was told by a former starting player last night that cast a darker light on what happened.

1. The player Gundy was addressing had fallen asleep in the meeting
2. Gundy was mad at him and read the iPad contents in an angry manner
3. Gundy used the offending word "more than twice"
4. The team was furious, got up and walked out of the meeting
5. Players became concerned the incident may be swept under the rug, so they contacted parents, who contacted Administration about the incident
6. The incident occurred Saturday

OU dodged a bullet here. The situation was much uglier than it is being portrayed. Gundy really crapped on the amazing job Brent has done so far, for a season that looks very promising. Brent made the correct -- and only -- decision that could be made in this case.

The player told me the team is very unified and bonded as a result of this. However, he said several times how saddened they are by OU fans suggesting the player be kicked off the team, and they are particularly upset that so many vocal fans are making excuses for Gundy or trying to equate what the player did to what he did. They have been told to stay off of social media and to avoid arguing with fans like that, which remarkably they have done, because arguing with this segment of the fan base makes OU look toxic and even racist to potential recruits and their families.

I told him those fans represent a minority, which he agreed about, but they are loudmouths and they are all over social media.