Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242570 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

1. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    As someone who attended OU and a fan of all Oklahoma based college sport teams...

OU fans are absolutely delusional most of the time.
    Both OU and OSU fans are pretty delusional. I mean OSU claimed a 1945 National Championship for football. It is just all so strange.

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Both OU and OSU fans are pretty delusional. I mean OSU claimed a 1945 National Championship for football. It is just all so strange.
    Lol pretty much every single sports fanbase is delusional in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Lol pretty much every single sports fanbase is delusional in some way.
    one would almost call them fanatical

As someone who attended OU and a fan of all Oklahoma based college sport teams...

The running joke in Stillwater in the 90's and early 2000's was that every person at the (football)games was either an allum or a current student.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The running joke in Stillwater in the 90's and early 2000's was that every person at the (football)games was either an allum or a current student.
    That was pretty much true unless the opponent was OU. When OU came to town a good portion of the crowd had never step foot in a college classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    That was pretty much true unless the opponent was OU. When OU came to town a good portion of the crowd had never step foot in a college classroom.
    i realize you are trying to take a jab at ou but I will play along.

There is a reason why OU's 3rd tier rights bring in 5 million more than OSU's deal.
    There is a reason why OU football pregame is on Fox sports Oklahoma and FX southwest while OSU's is on ESPN+.
    Those "t-shirt fans" money is just as green and worth the same as money from an alum.

A school wants as big of a footprint as a school can get not the opposite. The more eyeballs that watch your games the more money you get. The bigger the audience the better.

I would probably say this is true for the fan base for most schools at this level. We can probably safely say that students and allumi watching UCO games probably outnumber those who didn't by large margins.

This is the goal of every school in the NCAA.

The disdain for "t-shirt" fans in college sports is laughable. Only a third of the U.S. population has a college degree, so of course most major athletic programs are going to have a lot of fans who didn't graduate from the school.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The disdain for "t-shirt" fans in college sports is laughable. Only a third of the U.S. population has a college degree, so of course most major athletic programs are going to have a lot of fans who didn't graduate from the school.
    Yeah, and I dont see how it's any different from having a favorite NBA or NFL team. These young adults have to train hard while also having to attend college with the hope of maybe making it big time one day. Sounds like sports stars everyone would want to rally around.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

nm

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

This is a really silly conversation. Each school has an excellent athletic program. As for facilities and fans, both have great followings. GIA is such an unusual facility in how it was built and expanded, they did the best they could given the space. OU basketball attendance is hurt by the proximity of the Thunder. OSU to a lesser exent.

As for fans, all schools have their good and their bad. The only negative I have observed of OU fans overall is at the OU-TX game, the fans seem to have grown much more abusive, much faster to hurl profanities and to go beyond just hard-core rivalry. I had to step in between a fistfight next to me for the first time ever this last game. Beer sales may have something to do with it but it appears screaming F-bombs, sexuality attacks and just overall cursing has gone waaaaay up lately. Nevermind there are kids and elderly around.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    This is a really silly conversation. Each school has an excellent athletic program. As for facilities and fans, both have great followings. GIA is such an unusual facility in how it was built and expanded, they did the best they could given the space. OU basketball attendance is hurt by the proximity of the Thunder. OSU to a lesser exent.

As for fans, all schools have their good and their bad. The only negative I have observed of OU fans overall is at the OU-TX game, the fans seem to have grown much more abusive, much faster to hurl profanities and to go beyond just hard-core rivalry. I had to step in between a fistfight next to me for the first time ever this last game. Beer sales may have something to do with it but it appears screaming F-bombs, sexuality attacks and just overall cursing has gone waaaaay up lately. Nevermind there are kids and elderly around.
    Fistfights and profanity are nothing new to this rivalry, it's been going on and elevated since the equal division of the Cotton Bowl between two schools.

Metroplex merchants love the money & economic impact ($20 million) the game brings to the area. You have to drive to Fort Worth to get a hotel if you didn't make reservations. The game has always had its vices because activities leading up to the game requires more police presence.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Fistfights and profanity are nothing new to this rivalry, it's been going on and elevated since the equal division of the Cotton Bowl between two schools.

Metroplex merchants love the money & economic impact ($20 million) the game brings to the area. You have to drive to Fort Worth to get a hotel if you didn't make reservations. The game has always had its vices because activities leading up to the game requires more police presence.
    Occasional loudmouths have always been there. There were at least 3 different groups of 20-somethings who were just constant, the whole game. I've certainly thrown my share of it but I also know some level of decorum. What I have seen at the OU/TX game is far higher than it used to be. yes, I remember the days of Commerce Street and Friday nights with 400 - 600 arrests. My brother got bopped on the head and hauled in as being drunk even though he doesn't drink.

I'm just glad the school administrations have the good sense to NOT have the game in the evening.

This thread has deteriorated into who can make the most outlandishly broad statements that others will agree with.

This is a really silly conversation.
    Can we just end the thread here? This is a good ending.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

OU football: Why Saturday night might be

more than all right for the Red-White Game

by Jenni Carlson
    Published: Fri, February 14, 2020 5:49 PM

NORMAN — Standing behind the microphone, Lincoln Riley had trouble keeping still...

...How successful OU’s spring game had been on a Friday night.

...The spring game drew an announced attendance of 50,228, which falls short of the massive crows at places like Nebraska and Alabama, but it was one of OU’s biggest.

...A few thousand more would push the Red-White Game near the upper 50,000s and might even flirt with 60,000. If that happens, standing still might be the least of Lincoln Riley's problems.

# # #

^ That would be welcomed by the merchants if they did it. With the # of morning games during the season local business has taken a hit.

Sorry, but as a 40-year veteran of OU-Texas, based on my personal experience, I just can't agree with this. . The "disdain" between the fans is arguably as *low* as it has ever been. When I was in college, the intensity level was much higher and you were MUCH more likely to get into a verbal skirmish. These days, not so much. Heck, in recent years, I've struck up completely pleasant conversations waiting in the Fletcher's corndog line with disappointed UT fans. The obnoxious ones are, in my experience, the exception these days, not the rule.

I think Dallas terminating the old Commerce Street warfare years ago really muted the uglier aspect of the OU-Texas rivalry. Yes, the two schools loathe each other, they always will, but that ugliness I remember from the 70's just isn't there anymore.

Beyond that, while both fan bases are still rabid among the broader base of CFB fans, I think the fans that consistently attend OU-TX are getting a little older on average, and the younger crowd only knows the "less intense" version of the rivalry. So, for a lot of reasons, I think that sharp rivalry edge - while still very much present - is significantly blunted.

19. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Sorry, but as a 40-year veteran of OU-Texas, based on my personal experience, I just can't agree with this. . The "disdain" between the fans is arguably as *low* as it has ever been. When I was in college, the intensity level was much higher and you were MUCH more likely to get into a verbal skirmish. These days, not so much. Heck, in recent years, I've struck up completely pleasant conversations waiting in the Fletcher's corndog line with disappointed UT fans. The obnoxious ones are, in my experience, the exception these days, not the rule.

I think Dallas terminating the old Commerce Street warfare years ago really muted the uglier aspect of the OU-Texas rivalry. Yes, the two schools loathe each other, they always will, but that ugliness I remember from the 70's just isn't there anymore.

Beyond that, while both fan bases are still rabid among the broader base of CFB fans, I think the fans that consistently attend OU-TX are getting a little older on average, and the younger crowd only knows the "less intense" version of the rivalry. So, for a lot of reasons, I think that sharp rivalry edge - while still very much present - is significantly blunted.
    You're totally missing my point. I'm not talking about disdain among fans. I'm talking about fan behavior at the games. I'm talking about drunkenness in the stands and constant screaming of F-bombs during the game.

It's not that big a deal to me and doesn't offend, I was just making an observation, so I will write it off that people around where our seats are must have been more reserved than in other places and move on.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about OU athletics? I thought social and political discussions about OU were somewhere else.

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

How about that Sooner win against Tech last night??? That just might get us to the dance!

This is a sports thread isn't it? I'm not WAY off topic here am I?

I was stoked with that display. The big 3 all put a good game together at the same time and produced a statement victory. It would be fantastic if they could do it in Morgantown on Saturday. I believe we are in if we beat the teams that are below OU in the conference standings.

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I was stoked with that display. The big 3 all put a good game together at the same time and produced a statement victory. It would be fantastic if they could do it in Morgantown on Saturday. I believe we are in if we beat the teams that are below OU in the conference standings.
    WVU has really slumped to end the season. They may be getting worn out.

Definitely not going to be an easy game but I think we have a shot at coming out of Morgantown with a win. I thought we handled the Tech pressure fairly well in the 2nd half. A couple of hiccups but if we do that for 40 against WVU and we get the W.

Texas is surging and you know they are going to bring all they got against us in Norman.

Normally I would say TCU should be a win but it's on the road and we are 1-6 on the road.

While WVU appears to be slumping, they still have a respectable home record. Their slump seems to be primarily road games.
    TCU should be an easy game as they will have nothing to play for and would have played both Baylor and Kansas just prior to OU. They'll be beat down.
    It does not appear from last night's game that having that urban walkability factor to the game was at all positive for attendance.
    Joe C needs to keep the home games in Norman and leave the NBA arena to NCAA playoffs. Tram reported about 5k at the game which is less than LNC average.
    OU basketball: Fans say 'eh' to Big 12 game in OKC
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/oklahom...ame-to-okc/amp

25. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Joe C needs to keep the home games in Norman and leave the NBA arena to NCAA playoffs. Tram reported about 5k at the game which is less than LNC average.
    After seeing how they played there.... I'm thinking attendance be damned.... They played their best game this season on an NBA court... Play all our home games there!

Thread Information