Widgets Magazine
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35808182838485
Results 2,101 to 2,118 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    perfect. lets look at the Texas arena.... 375 million, where $130 million came from a single donation to the university specifically for the arena, then the rest was raised through a joint partnership between the Oak View Group and UT. Oak View actually raised the funds to build it, not the University of Texas. they just provided the land. Under the partnership agreement Oak View Group manages the building in exchange for the rights to keep most of the income from non-UT events, (close to 80%), and has sole authority to planning those events. under the agreement UT does still own the land and technically the building, but only has exclusive control of the arena 60 days each year, for men's and women's basketball, graduations and other school events.

that means that 300 days a year, someone other than the university is planning events and making more money off of those events than the university, and the university gets little to no say in any of those events. and the only thing the university had to give for the project was the land. find me the person willing to get the project started with a $100+ million donation specifically for an on campus facility, and then a private group that wants to come in and run it on campus, and sure. we have a plan.... instead, what is being proposed in Norman is pretty much something similar, but because the construction group wants it in a different spot where OU owns land, they are asking for that land, and not land on campus. because they don't want to build it there.

see the difference now? So unless you are willing to pony up the $100 million to get the discussion going... it's not happening.
    thank you

2. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The SB team gets national recognition for excellence. The MBB team is bad at best. I'm not sure how the MBB team makes money when they're never on TV and can't fill the lower level of LNC. I also wonder how the larger SB stadium will affect the income numbers.
    Sorry to disagree with you but if you think the men's BB team was bad-at-best, you live on another planet.

3. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Sorry to disagree with you but if you think the men's BB team was bad-at-best, you live on another planet.
    Maybe I'm a little hard on them. But. They won 8 conference games. 5 of those were against bottom 4 teams. OSU, Cinn. and WV. BYU and Iowa St were 2 really good wins. K-State was an ok win. The only Tournament team they played in the non-con part of the season they lost to. Those are not the results of a good BB team.

OU Bball is mediocre at best, haven't made the dance in 3 years. Not terrible, but far from being good. We should be better, at least I feel that was the expectation with Moser. If we go 4-5 years without an NCAA bid maybe something changes.

I know many will disagree, but OU fans are part of the problem, as a former college player, it's hard to give 100% when the seats are half empty.

6. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I know many will disagree, but OU fans are part of the problem, as a former college player, it's hard to give 100% when the seats are half empty.
    I absolutely agree. It's the perfect example of a Catch 22. Fans don't come if the team doesn't win enough. But the team needs fans in the seats to play their best. Especially in an environment like BB.
    And I give Moser tons of credit this past season in getting on media like The Animal and trying to get butts in seats.
    OSU discussions on the radio about a new coach follow along the same lines. One side wants Gottlieb because his name will fill the arena. But if they keep losing it wouldn't last long.

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree. It's the perfect example of a Catch 22. Fans don't come if the team doesn't win enough. But the team needs fans in the seats to play their best. Especially in an environment like BB.
    And I give Moser tons of credit this past season in getting on media like The Animal and trying to get butts in seats.
    OSU discussions on the radio about a new coach follow along the same lines. One side wants Gottlieb because his name will fill the arena. But if they keep losing it wouldn't last long.
    Gotlieb wouldn’t put fans in the seats past maybe the first few games, if at all. They come to see the product on the floor. Some come to support their school. None come because of the name of the coach.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Maybe I'm a little hard on them. But. They won 8 conference games. 5 of those were against bottom 4 teams. OSU, Cinn. and WV. BYU and Iowa St were 2 really good wins. K-State was an ok win. The only Tournament team they played in the non-con part of the season they lost to. Those are not the results of a good BB team.
    They also played in an extraordinarily good basketball conference. Sure they weren't great but they were competative and certainly better than some that got in the tourney. With college sports basically being professional now, the magic transfer portal will tell the story.

Colorado lost in the first round. Of their top 5, 2 declared for the NBA and at least 3 already went into the portal. Complete rebuild for them so OU will probably have to succeed by the portal.

9. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

They also played in an extraordinarily good basketball conference. Sure they weren't great but they were competative and certainly better than some that got in the tourney. With college sports basically being professional now, the magic transfer portal will tell the story.

Colorado lost in the first round. Of their top 5, 2 declared for the NBA and at least 3 already went into the portal. Complete rebuild for them so OU will probably have to succeed by the portal.
    There was so much hype about the conference being so good. Only 2 Big12 teams made the second round of the Tournament. That's average.

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Look at the entire year, not just the tourny.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Look at the entire year, not just the tourny.
    The Tourny shows how teams really play when pitted against the good teams in college BB. The season doesn't.

The Tourny shows how teams really play when pitted against the good teams in college BB. The season doesn't.
    The tourney isn’t always a great representation of who the best teams are which is why the NBA uses 7 game series instead. Anything can happen in one basketball game which is why the tourney is so fun but if you really want to know who the best team is, they need to play more than once.

13. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The tourney isn’t always a great representation of who the best teams are which is why the NBA uses 7 game series instead. Anything can happen in one basketball game which is why the tourney is so fun but if you really want to know who the best team is, they need to play more than once.
    I agree completely. But we're don't have that. Multiple games would tell much more. But since we can't have that the Tournament is the best measure of what teams/conferences were for real that we have.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I agree completely. But we're don't have that. Multiple games would tell much more. But since we can't have that the Tournament is the best measure of what teams/conferences were for real that we have.
    I guess it's an agree to disagree situation.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

First football game has been moved to Friday Aug 30th at 6pm vs. Temple. First Friday game for OU it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    First football game has been moved to Friday Aug 30th at 6pm vs. Temple. First Friday game for OU it appears.
    OU has played 16 times on fridays ...

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

*the first Friday night home game in stadium history

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    *the first Friday night home game in stadium history
    yep I believe all other friday home games were the friday after thanksgiving

Thread Information