Widgets Magazine
Page 83 of 85 FirstFirst ... 337879808182838485 LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    well 5 of those years were the end of Lon... so can't really blame that on Porter.

and people yelling for firing porter doesn't change that. it just makes it worse. remember that lon was hired in 2011, and didn't win his first tournament game with OU till the 2015 season. so it took him 4 years. Kelvin was hired in 1994 and didn't win his first tournament game till 99... Tubbs was hired in 80 and didn't get his first tournament win till 83. This year saw an improvement over the previous year with basically a whole new team.... if porter doesn't atleast make the tournament next year then we should be talking about him possibly being on the way out. but geez, there were people saying he should be let go after the first season. it's just been crazy.
    Yeah I don’t necessarily think Porter has been great by any means but I think he’s been good enough. The issues with the program go way deeper than the head coach and I don’t think anyone else is going to come in and fix it until those issues are addressed.

It all starts with the dump that is LNC and the lack of any meaningful funding to do anything about it and goes from there. Going to the SEC will help as far as getting a bid but we won’t have a deep tournament run until we have a new home court.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Agree. And declining the NIT bid just feels like another example of this program being plagued by a sense of entitlement that we frankly don’t deserve to have. Like, it’s obviously not the exact same thing as repeatedly begging Norman to fund a new arena. But I don’t think it’s all that different, either.

I still don’t think things are nearly as bad as they were at the end of the Capel era. But the overall vibes feel as bleak as they have at any point in the 15 years that I’ve been following the team, if that makes any sense. We are stuck in basketball purgatory, getting lapped in investment by the likes of Auburn and Texas Tech, and there are absolutely no signs that we’re going to take the necessary initiative to improve the situation.
    I don’t know. Outside of the disciplinary issues with literal idiots we signed like Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. I think we are in far, far worse shape now than we were when Capel got bounced, especially when you factor in the lack of hope that it will improve in any meaningful way. I think Moser is doing what he can, with what he has and has improved the team but the program just seems to be a disaster behind the scenes.

Blog Entries

This is maybe a little off topic but I heardDoug Gottlieb on The Sports Animal this morning and really eye opening to hear him talk about NIL and impact on player movement. We all know about NIL, but Doug describes an OSU transfer recruit who they were prepared to pay $150K. He was on the verge of committing and at the last second another B12 team came in and offered $500K and this high impact player was gone. KU paying two players $1 mill and $700k respectively. OU allocated money to McCollum and others and ran out of funds for a quality big man. The landscape of the sport is pretty crazy and so impactful when 1-2 players can really swing the fortunes of a BB roster.

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

^
    I heard that interview too. Very interesting information about how different teams "distribute" NIL money. From paying everyone the same to really large differences from top to bottom. With many towards the bottom getting nothing or going somewhere else because they ran out of NIL. Gottlieb is supposed to be back on later this week. For me it will be a must hear.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah I don’t necessarily think Porter has been great by any means but I think he’s been good enough. The issues with the program go way deeper than the head coach and I don’t think anyone else is going to come in and fix it until those issues are addressed.

It all starts with the dump that is LNC and the lack of any meaningful funding to do anything about it and goes from there. Going to the SEC will help as far as getting a bid but we won’t have a deep tournament run until we have a new home court.
    Good points about PM and the limitations he has on the deeper problems.
    I just don't believe that Joe C is all in on a successfull MBB program.
    I hear there is no money, but prove it. What legislators were approaced? Why does the OU foundation have money for statues but not playing facilities? Why no concerts to raise revenue? Why did the AD run up a banner for Coale yet wait decades to acknowledge Tubbs? I think the AD needs to be answering these questions.

6. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

^
    The whole athletic program is a problem for B Ball. It's been a snowball that started years ago. Team isn't good, fans don't attend, venue is old and decrepit. Which caused which is a chicken and egg question. But whichever caused which we now are at a point of why build a nice, expensive new arena for a team(s) that in the NIL world may never be nationally competitive again.
    The concert question has a lot of similarities to the B Ball question. We used to go to tons of concerts there. Big name bands played LNC in the 70s, 80s and 90s and even 20s. But by that time the LNC had become a dump. We went to a Darius Rucker concert there. I don't remember what year. My wife argued for days before it that he wouldn't do Hootie & The Blowfish songs. I won. Big time! I was embarrassed by the condition of the restrooms, etc. If I were a concert promoter I wouldn't book LNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    ^
    The whole athletic program is a problem for B Ball. It's been a snowball that started years ago. Team isn't good, fans don't attend, venue is old and decrepit. Which caused which is a chicken and egg question. But whichever caused which we now are at a point of why build a nice, expensive new arena for a team(s) that in the NIL world may never be nationally competitive again.
    The concert question has a lot of similarities to the B Ball question. We used to go to tons of concerts there. Big name bands played LNC in the 70s, 80s and 90s and even 20s. But by that time the LNC had become a dump. We went to a Darius Rucker concert there. I don't remember what year. My wife argued for days before it that he wouldn't do Hootie & The Blowfish songs. I won. Big time! I was embarrassed by the condition of the restrooms, etc. If I were a concert promoter I wouldn't book LNC.
    that Darius Rucker concert was in 2012. i was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Good points about PM and the limitations he has on the deeper problems.
    I just don't believe that Joe C is all in on a successfull MBB program.
    I hear there is no money, but prove it. What legislators were approaced? Why does the OU foundation have money for statues but not playing facilities? Why no concerts to raise revenue? Why did the AD run up a banner for Coale yet wait decades to acknowledge Tubbs? I think the AD needs to be answering these questions.
    I’m surprised there isn’t an OU donor or local corporation willing to write a massive check for their name on an OU arena.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I’m surprised there isn’t an OU donor or local corporation willing to write a massive check for their name on an OU arena.
    there would be but not a 200 mil plus check ... as that would be the cost for a new one ..

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    There are always donors willing to foot the bill for anything the football team wants. Love's just paid for the softball stadium. Why! Because they are good and bring in national audiences. The BB team has been mediocre to bad for years. And college BB is a secondary sport except for in schools that don't have major football programs. Who would want to foot the bill for a new arena for OU BB. I wouldn't if I had the money and there aren't many bigger die hard Sooner lovers than me.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

There are always donors willing to foot the bill for anything the football team wants. Love's just paid for the softball stadium. Why! Because they are good and bring in national audiences. The BB team has been mediocre to bad for years. And college BB is a secondary sport except for in schools that don't have major football programs. Who would want to foot the bill for a new arena for OU BB. I wouldn't if I had the money and there aren't many bigger die hard Sooner lovers than me.
    I mean, Love's donated 12 million of the almost $50 million new softball stadium. A basketball stadium is in another stratosphere in terms of cost. Someone would have to donate 50 million just for 25% of the 200 mill cost. Gotta hit up Blake Griffin again. That 7 mill wasn't enough!

There are always donors willing to foot the bill for anything the football team wants.
    this of course is also not correct ...

the football stadium renovation has not been completed because of lack of funds (keep in mind it is not an expansion) ... also the football ops building is stalled because of lack of funds

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this of course is also not correct ...

the football stadium renovation has not been completed because of lack of funds (keep in mind it is not an expansion) ... also the football ops building is stalled because of lack of funds
    yeah if there were donors willing to foot the bill for anything, we’d have the facilities and NIL support across the board that A&M does…but of course that doesn’t always translate to winning (also…see A&M)

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I didn't mean there are bottomless donors. But the football team gets most of anything they want eventually. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there aren't willing donors for BB.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Are there NOT willing donors or has the U just not made a concerted effort?

I didn't mean there are bottomless donors. But the football team gets most of anything they want eventually. That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there aren't willing donors for BB.
    Are there any topless donors? Asking for a friend

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Are there NOT willing donors or has the U just not made a concerted effort?
    If there were donors with interest to finance a new arena they would have offered by now. There's been lots of coverage in the media the past few years about the need to replace LNC, possible locations, etc.

18. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Are there any topless donors? Asking for a friend
    Don't know for sure. Might be a way to raise money for an arena though.

I think it's been said by others on here before but besides the LNC being old, it was never a good venue because it's not a dedicated basketball arena and it's so far away from campus. And the powers that be think that making the OU basketball arena further away is the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I think it's been said by others on here before but besides the LNC being old, it was never a good venue because it's not a dedicated basketball arena and it's so far away from campus. And the powers that be think that making the OU basketball arena further away is the solution.
    the LNC is many things ... but It is ON CAMPUS >>

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Yeah. LNC has many issues but it's on campus. It's right across Imhoff from the new softball stadium and I don't think anyone had a problem with the new stadium location.

In only the most technical sense. What’s important is it doesn’t feel on campus. It’s detached from everything and it’s trash. At least there would be some restaurants near the strip mall arena.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    In only the most technical sense. What’s important is it doesn’t feel on campus. It’s detached from everything and it’s trash. At least there would be some restaurants near the strip mall arena.
    This is what I meant. The campus has built out over the last several decades but the LNC was never close to the actual students.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    There are plans to develop Jenkins south of 9 so that arguement of no eateries won't hold water. Does the softball stadium feel on campus to you? Allie Reynolds Stadium?
    https://www.oudaily.com/news/norman-...283ca5c71.html

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    This is what I meant. The campus has built out over the last several decades but the LNC was never close to the actual students.
    most students don't live on campus ...

Thread Information