Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Here are some facts I was told by a former starting player last night that cast a darker light on what happened.

1. The player Gundy was addressing had fallen asleep in the meeting
    2. Gundy was mad at him and read the iPad contents in an angry manner
    3. Gundy used the offending word "more than twice"
    4. The team was furious, got up and walked out of the meeting
    5. Players became concerned the incident may be swept under the rug, so they contacted parents, who contacted Administration about the incident
    6. The incident occurred Saturday

OU dodged a bullet here. The situation was much uglier than it is being portrayed. Gundy really crapped on the amazing job Brent has done so far, for a season that looks very promising. Brent made the correct -- and only -- decision that could be made in this case.

The player told me the team is very unified and bonded as a result of this. However, he said several times how saddened they are by OU fans suggesting the player be kicked off the team, and they are particularly upset that so many vocal fans are making excuses for Gundy or trying to equate what the player did to what he did. They have been told to stay off of social media and to avoid arguing with fans like that, which remarkably they have done, because arguing with this segment of the fan base makes OU look toxic and even racist to potential recruits and their families.

I told him those fans represent a minority, which he agreed about, but they are loudmouths and they are all over social media.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Here are some facts I was told by a former starting player last night that cast a darker light on what happened.

1. The player Gundy was addressing had fallen asleep in the meeting
    2. Gundy was mad at him and read the iPad contents in an angry manner
    3. Gundy used the offending word "more than twice"
    4. The team was furious, got up and walked out of the meeting
    5. Players became concerned the incident may be swept under the rug, so they contacted parents, who contacted Administration about the incident
    6. The incident occurred Saturday

OU dodged a bullet here. The situation was much uglier than it is being portrayed. Gundy really crapped on the amazing job Brent has done so far, for a season that looks very promising. Brent made the correct -- and only -- decision that could be made in this case.

The player told me the team is very unified and bonded as a result of this. However, he said several times how saddened they are by OU fans suggesting the player be kicked off the team, and they are particularly upset that so many vocal fans are making excuses for Gundy or trying to equate what the player did to what he did. They have been told to stay off of social media and to avoid arguing with fans like that, which remarkably they have done, because arguing with this segment of the fan base makes OU look toxic and even racist to potential recruits and their families.

I told him those fans represent a minority, which he agreed about, but they are loudmouths and they are all over social media.
    i know for a fact the incident occurred on Friday morning ...

and that the players did not walk out of the meeting .. (it was a WR position meeting .. and the player was not asleep in the 15 person meeting)

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Either quit using the word or quit ruining people for using it non-threatening or hurtful ways (like singing or reading lyrics).
    You're acting like he was beset by a woke mob.

He resigned.

I'm sure that Gundy has enough for a comfortable retirement and if not, I'm sure he's well regarded enough that he'll land on his feet. He's not ruined.

Maybe one of the Norman Highs could use a new assistant coach?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i know for a fact the incident occurred on Friday morning ...

and that the players did not walk out of the meeting .. (it was a WR position meeting .. and the player was not asleep in the 15 person meeting)
    I am just reporting what I was told. I love you man, but your information is often very unreliable.

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I love you man, but your information is often very unreliable.
    Yeah, after a while you just become skeptical of everything he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You're acting like he was beset by a woke mob.

He resigned.

I'm sure that Gundy has enough for a comfortable retirement and if not, I'm sure he's well regarded enough that he'll land on his feet. He's not ruined.

Maybe one of the Norman Highs could use a new assistant coach?
    Um, no. No, no, and again, no.

I never said anything like that, but I do appreciate you acknowledging the woke mob's existence because they are very real and have ruined many people's lives, which is what I was referring to in general.
    That's my fault for not specifying that comment wasn't 100% directed at Gundy as much as it was to other similar (or even dissimilar) incidents with the same outcomes as I was trying to elaborate on my previous examples of entertainment using the word so freely.

I understand Gundy resigned. I think it's for the best and my previous comments back this up. And I also agree with you that he'll be just fine, assuming he's had some good investments over the last 30 years.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Oklahoma Sooners 45 vs UTEP Miners 13

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401426541

Attendance: 83,173

OU will win the big 12 conference again but we shall this saturday when texas plays bama and baylor plays byu

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    OU will win the big 12 conference again but we shall this saturday when texas plays bama and baylor plays byu
    I really doubt it

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Oklahoma Sooners 33 vs Kent State Golden Flashes 3

Box Score https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401404066

Attendance: 83,911

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

We know it's early; however you can see an improvement in the defense over last season where Lincoln Riley relied more on the offense as a scoring machine; when the offense sputtered, it became difficult to watch the Sooners struggle.

You can see the confidence and enthusiasm in Brent Venables coaching style. Nice to see the defense rise to the occasion; only concern at
    this stage is giving up big chunks of passing yardage--once the opponent gets into the Red Zone, defense appears to work better against a
    shorter field. Limiting UTEP to 13 points and Kent State to 3 points makes me feel more comfortable about the improvements on defense over last year. The offense was able to make adjustments necessary late in the first half; credit Jeff Lebby's decisions. We'll know more about how to gauge the defense after the Nebraska and Texas games.

Texas looked very impressive against Alabama. Having an experienced Head Coach on defense (Gary Patterson) for the horns will make this upcoming Red River game more interesting--Texas is back.

UTEP and Kent State aren’t exactly high powered offensive juggernauts so I’m still going to be cautious with having any expectations but it really seems like there’s already a nice shift in the defensive areas. I’m not familiar with UTEP or Kent State’s situations but it would seem like one of these games would’ve turned into a shootout or nail biter towards the end in past years. When I checked the score yesterday for the first time in the 3rd, I had a familiar knot in my stomach expecting to see a close game but it was 31-3 by that point.

13. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Nebraska fired Frost. Kind of an interesting twist going into next Saturdays game.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Nebraska. I really want them to do well, but it now seems that Lincoln Nebraska is a black hole where coaches go to die.

Blog Entries

Interim coach Mickey Joseph will coach his first game against the team that broke his leg 30+ years ago. Ou opens as a two TD favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Nebraska. I really want them to do well, but it now seems that Lincoln Nebraska is a black hole where coaches go to die.
    I loved my time at UNL but it was frustrating to see the fan base keep taking the L's. I told a lot of my friends close to 2-3 years ago we needed to drop him and now its come fruition. Being from Norman and seeing OU's dominance my whole life that may have been part of my quickness to drop frost earlier though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    UTEP and Kent State aren’t exactly high powered offensive juggernauts so I’m still going to be cautious with having any expectations but it really seems like there’s already a nice shift in the defensive areas. I’m not familiar with UTEP or Kent State’s situations but it would seem like one of these games would’ve turned into a shootout or nail biter towards the end in past years. When I checked the score yesterday for the first time in the 3rd, I had a familiar knot in my stomach expecting to see a close game but it was 31-3 by that point.
    Yeah look no further than Tulane last year. I’m not sure about Kent St, but UTEP’s QB is actually pretty good and made some big time throws that would likely have been completed against Alabama or Georgia.

They’re definitely tackling much better than they have in years which is a function of just generally tackling better and not constantly being out of position to make the tackle (leading to arm tackles, having to dive, etc). The pass coverage looks a lot better as well. Not perfect but there haven’t been the massive busts in the secondary or with linebackers that have plagued the defense since the early 2010s. It seems like even if a catch is made, someone is close enough to affect the play to make the play or at least quickly get the guy down after a catch. The improvement in both discipline and physicality has been a welcomed change.

The offense show flashes but I think it will just take time to gel under the new system. The O Line has to improve though for that to happen. Hopefully getting Wanya Morris back next week helps bring some stability there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I would feel like there was no hope based on location if it wasn’t for Texas also being horrible since 2010. Hopefully they can get a new staff in there that can pull it together. I hate seeing them suck this much as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I really doubt it
    who do you believe is better than OU in the big 12? Maybe texas but that is a maybe.

who do you believe is better than OU in the big 12? Maybe texas but that is a maybe.
    There are 5 teams who have a legitimate shot to win the conference. It is wide open this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    There are 5 teams who have a legitimate shot to win the conference. It is wide open this year.
    i can think of four... oklahoma, oklahoma state, baylor, and texas.

who are your five? do you think kansas state has a shot this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i can think of four... oklahoma, oklahoma state, baylor, and texas.

who are your five? do you think kansas state has a shot this year?
    Yea, those four and kstate. I’d say the favorite is OU because their schedule sets up really well ( KState, Baylor, OSU all at home) but it’s really tight 1-5 this year imo.

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

How dare you all doubt 2-0 Kansas.

OU is ranked 6th, OSU 8th, Baylor 17, and Texas 21

I know it is early but this is not the same team from last year it is a better team with a great defense and a solid offense with Gabriel, Stoops, Mims, Gray, Theo Wease, and Marcus Major.

Ethan Downs and Danny Stutsman are both beasts on the D line plus a bunch of others.

Dillon Gabriel, in his first season of Oklahoma football, has been named the Big 12 Co-Newcomer of the Week.

Hear me now believe me later

Why hasn't Jalil Farooq played?

https://soonersports.com/sports/football/roster

OU is ranked 6th, OSU 8th, Baylor 17, and Texas 21

I know it is early but this is not the same team from last year it is a better team with a great defense and a solid offense with Gabriel, Stoops, Mims, Gray, Theo Wease, and Marcus Major.

Ethan Downs and Danny Stutsman are both beasts on the D line plus a bunch of others.

Dillon Gabriel, in his first season of Oklahoma football, has been named the Big 12 Co-Newcomer of the Week.

Hear me now believe me later

Why hasn't Jalil Farooq played?
    Jalil has seen a considerable amount of snap so far. He just hasn't gotten many catches as of yet. Thus far, he has been huge in the run game blocking wise.

Thread Information