Widgets Magazine
Page 59 of 85 FirstFirst ... 95455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I wasn't implying that OU didn't have great facilities now, Just that the conference move will give them more resources to continue to be at the top. It is a constant arms race that never ends.

I'm actually a little surprised OSU is that high up on the list at number 12.
    OSU having an amazing facility means only one thing; T. Boone Pickens

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    No it's not the end of the world. But there's a lot to be pessimistic about. For now. It will get better. But Saturday TCU RBs and receivers were blowing past our safeties and corners. We also had a number of plays that the defense line and LBs should have stopped for losses but they seem to have forgotten how to tackle again. Our O line got pushed around horribly. And there are way too many badly overthrown balls to open receivers. Added all together this team at this point isn't very good.
    If someone wanted to have an actual conversation about game play, I can understand pessimism to a degree. Unfortunately what I heard from OU fans was "looks like we need a new coach already." That's garbage talk. And the OSU fans being nasty saying OU will never have another season now, is also garbage talk. It's like the over dramatic political process has bled over to sports. I've had to stop looking at OU twitter and sports radio after the K-State loss. Not cause I can't handle the loss. Quite the contrary, I can't handle the drama and whining that comes with it.

3. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    If someone wanted to have an actual conversation about game play, I can understand pessimism to a degree. Unfortunately what I heard from OU fans was "looks like we need a new coach already." That's garbage talk. And the OSU fans being nasty saying OU will never have another season now, is also garbage talk. It's like the over dramatic political process has bled over to sports. I've had to stop looking at OU twitter and sports radio after the K-State loss. Not cause I can't handle the loss. Quite the contrary, I can't handle the drama and whining that comes with it.
    Ok. I agree completely with that. OU shouldn't have been expected to be good this season. And I fell into the trap where I thought they would. But it's far too soon to question the direction this team can go in the future under the current staff. It's going to take a couple years. We have lots of good commitments next year and so far for '24. But they have to get here, go through conditioning, learn our system, build chemistry and experience big time college football. We'll be fine but it might be the '24 season before we're back to where us avid OU fans want the team to be.
    As far as the OSU fans I've been lucky enough to have the Pokes I personally know be pretty gracious about things. They're quietly and politely thrilled that OSU is way better than OU this season.

IMO, OSU should be ranked above USC

OSU beat Baylor in good fashion and Baylor was ranked but we shall see how OSU does against texas tech saturday.

USC played Oregon state who is not great and the only team USC will play that is any good is Utah.

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Venables is looking decidedly John Blakeish right now.

The cupboard can’t be this bare?

Team is horrible but all these losses are really helping their lottery odds

7. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Venables is looking decidedly John Blakeish right now.

The cupboard can’t be this bare?
    It looks pretty bare. For instance our offensive and defensive lines have been pushed around and ran over two weeks in a row. Getting out muscled is lack of ability not lack of coaching. Our secondary being out of position and committing way too many interference penalties could be coaching or lack of ability or both. But the secondary just getting constantly outrun is lack of ability.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Texas Longhorns 49 vs Oklahoma Sooners 0

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401404090

I would not be surprised if OU doesn't win another game this year. We weren't even this bad in the 90's. Also wouldn't be surprised to see next years recruiting class blow up now either.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I would not be surprised if OU doesn't win another game this year. We weren't even this bad in the 90's. Also wouldn't be surprised to see next years recruiting class blow up now either.
    Could be that the only game we're favored in the rest of the year is West Virginia. So you might not be far off in the former. As to the latter I hope the the commitments realize that this year is a fluke and OU will be back soon if they come here and are determined to play at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I would assume Ted Roof and Jeff Lebby would be fired in that scenario. Hell they may not even have jobs on Monday.

The main thing that is giving me cognitive dissonance about OU falling apart the way they have is that early on in the season it felt like there were some improvements and certain players might be looking at having a big year. The obvious explanation is those games earlier in the season were against such significantly inferior opponents but now that they’re playing more talented teams the loss of half the team (figuratively) and bringing in a new staff has become apparent. I’ve watched far more of UT’s games than OU games this year and it was apparent that they are much improved, but they didn’t feel as drastically superior to OU as they appeared today. I do agree with the sentiment that it wouldn’t be shocking if they don’t win another game this season, which the main reason I even cared to pay any attention was because I like Brent Venables, so I may not want to pay attention much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I would assume Ted Roof and Jeff Lebby would be fired in that scenario. Hell they may not even have jobs on Monday.
    It is Roof and Lebby's first year so they are not getting fired on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    It is Roof and Lebby's first year so they are not getting fired on Monday
    If they lose to Kansas in similar fashion they might, and should be fired

To recap: Three straight losses including a loss to K-State (who lost to Tulane the week before and just scored 10 pts against Iowa St) where OU gave up 41 pts at home, a 31 pt drubbing by TCU and a 49-0 absolute domination by Texas where OU couldn’t even get a measly field goal (UTSA at least put 20 pts on the Horns). This is a level of bad that OU hasn’t seen since the mid-90’s.

Blog Entries

So, I guess we will finally be rid of the fair weather fans.

I understand that our defense isn't good, but it's absolutely impossible to judge them fairly when the offense is this atrocious. How can a Division 1 football team not have ONE quarterback available to make a pass? This isn't the 1980's. You can't just run the wishbone and trick plays all game. If Lebby can't get one quarterback ready in Gabriel's offense, then what on earth is the point? I have never in my life seen the loss of a starting quarterback completely decimate a team like this.

Davis Beville can't even throw a wide open 5 yard screen pass and runs like my 96 year old grandfather. We might as well just run fumble-rooski's with our offensive linemen. Marvin Mimms and Jahlil Farooq are probably questioning their entire lives right now. One more game of this and I would just sit out and declare for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    If they lose to Kansas in similar fashion they might, and should be fired

To recap: Three straight losses including a loss to K-State (who lost to Tulane the week before and just scored 10 pts against Iowa St) where OU gave up 41 pts at home, a 31 pt drubbing by TCU and a 49-0 absolute domination by Texas where OU couldn’t even get a measly field goal (UTSA at least put 20 pts on the Horns). This is a level of bad that OU hasn’t seen since the mid-90’s.
    Sooners could lose all their games in blowout fashion and Lebby and Roof are still not getting fired

19. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Sooners could lose all their games in blowout fashion and Lebby and Roof are still not getting fired
    Agreed. I'd be amazed if anyone gets fired. We fans got caught up in the "Hey, this team might actually be good even with what they just went through" thing. The coaches and AD knew what they had to work with and probably had much more realistic expectations. The team probably isn't even living up to those expectations but I bet they're closer to them than we want to think.

Blog Entries

Hearing that OU will roll out some new uniforms that will be a dark grey, almost black design, no player names and word UNITY in place of those.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Hearing that OU will roll out some new uniforms that will be a dark grey, almost black design, no player names and word UNITY in place of those.
    Leave the player names off the rest of the season. Maybe these guys will be more successful in anonymity.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Kansas JayHawks 42 at Oklahoma Sooners 52

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401404094

Attendance: 83,874

I think this is mostly what we expected to see out of Venables first year. I team whose talent level would prevent it from being an automatic contender, but better disciplined and more sensible schemes. Still had plenty of blown coverages in the secondary, but that Kansas TE made some pretty incredible catches or it would've been a bigger blowout. Eric Gray has been the biggest surprise. I never felt like he had that "next gear" in him, but all that extra weight he added has made him a beast for other teams to tackle.

24. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to the Utah Utes for knocking off The Muleshoe Snake.

Those boys played with so much love, and character!

25. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    I think this is mostly what we expected to see out of Venables first year. I team whose talent level would prevent it from being an automatic contender, but better disciplined and more sensible schemes. Still had plenty of blown coverages in the secondary, but that Kansas TE made some pretty incredible catches or it would've been a bigger blowout. Eric Gray has been the biggest surprise. I never felt like he had that "next gear" in him, but all that extra weight he added has made him a beast for other teams to tackle.
    Exactly how I see it. The secondary just blows way too many coverages. Other than that the defense looked better yesterday. Offense looked pretty good and Gabriel had a solid game except for his longer throws. I almost wish somehow he could be limited to 20 yards or less but of course you can't do that.

Thread Information