Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Baseball is over and it's boring, now get your @ss's on the football train already
    sadly. i'm just going to be avoiding football for probably the next few seasons. not until we get an OC that isn't directly tied to what happened at Baylor. so for me, it's baseball season is over. now to wait for basketball, then tennis and gymnastics, and then back to golf, softball and baseball

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    sadly. i'm just going to be avoiding football for probably the next few seasons. not until we get an OC that isn't directly tied to what happened at Baylor. so for me, it's baseball season is over. now to wait for basketball, then tennis and gymnastics, and then back to golf, softball and baseball
    I trust Brent Venables, he has integrity and I believe if he thought what was said about Lebby looking the other way was true he would not have chosen him to be OC. Art Briles was the coach held accountable and that even seems fishy

On May 26, 2016, Baylor released a findings of fact document prepared by the board of regents. According to the regents, the document was based on an independent investigation by the law firm Pepper Hamilton into how the school handled sexual assault. The report stated that the findings "reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct." It also faulted the football team for not adequately vetting transfers. The regents held Briles responsible, and suspended him with the intent to fire him as soon as they were legally allowed to do so. Briles was provided a letter of recommendation and a severance fee but claimed he was never shown the evidence for why Baylor chose to fire him. Briles sued the school for wrongful termination, among other claims, which was later withdrawn. Baylor president Ken Starr lost his job and Athletic Director Ian McCaw resigned in wake of the scandal.

Reports in 2018 cast doubt on whether Briles was aware of alleged assaults as information came forward showing administrators and local police seemed to bury reports on football players without telling football coaches.

On June 19, 2018, former Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw testified during a deposition that the sexual assault scandal that engulfed the school's football program was manufactured by investigators and regents to cover up a larger university-wide issue. McCaw alleged Baylor hatched "an elaborate plan that essentially scapegoated black football players and the football program for being responsible for what was a decades-long, university-wide sexual assault scandal", according to court documents. In late July 2018, Briles turned over documents pursuant to a subpoena, which had not been previously produced by Baylor. The documents showed multiple senior Baylor administrators knew about a serial sexual assault assailant" in fall 2011, but, along with Briles, failed to act. Baylor's legal counsel Christopher Holmes sent a letter addressed to Briles, clarifying Briles did not fail or discourage victims from reporting to law enforcement or university officials.

right. so the statement here is that one says the other is trying to cover up, and the other side is also trying to cover things up and say that it was only the football team. I don't see much about the fact that these events didn't occur, just who was really to blame. What we do know is that Jeff Lebby was the person of report for at least one of the victims, and there is no real proof of any thing was done other than RB Coach Lebby making him run extra drills at practice.

So all of this to say. i honestly don't know what to believe, and will decide on my own whether I want to support the team while Lebby is OC. my hope is that he is really great at his job, gets an HC gig at another school, we hire an OC that doesn't have a past that is as dark and cloudy, and then I will start to support the football program again, at that time.

^^^fair enough

Cale Gundy has resigned after saying the N word

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Cale Gundy has resigned after saying the N word
    You should probably add a little context to the situation.

By most accounts, Cale was in film session with his wide receivers group. All of the players have iPads and are supposed to be taking notes. During the session he asked a player a specific question and he didn't know the answer or wasn't paying attention. Cale grabbed his iPad and put it on the projector. Apparently, the player was looking up lyrics to rap music and Cale read it out loud. As it turns out, the lyrics had the N word in it, which Cale did say.

I am sure there will be different opinions on the situation, but this is where we are at in 2022.

In reading Cale Gundy's statements, it very much appears to be a completely accidental scenario. He was reading from a player's ipad during a coaching session and essentially just read everything out loud without stopping. He realized after the fact that he said the word (that the player had either typed out himself or was looking at).
    It should be noted that the players apparently met after this happened and did NOT want Coach Gundy to step down over this scenario but he insisted.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    You should probably add a little context to the situation.

By most accounts, Cale was in film session with his wide receivers group. All of the players have iPads and are supposed to be taking notes. During the session he asked a player a specific question and he didn't know the answer or wasn't paying attention. Cale grabbed his iPad and put it on the projector. Apparently, the player was looking up lyrics to rap music and Cale read it out loud. As it turns out, the lyrics had the N word in it, which Cale did say.

I am sure there will be different opinions on the situation, but this is where we are at in 2022.
    Thank you. You posted this while I was typing mine out. Funny how people want to leave out important context and background. It's not meant to excuse anything but only having the end of the story without the details that led up to it is an act of deception.

There goes the entire football season before it even got started. I'm curious if the athlete who had the ipad that triggered this outcome will be outed?
    Last edited by Brett; 08-08-2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: changed laptop to ipad

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Feels like there is a lot more to this story that I doubt we will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yep.

Pretty weak that he felt he needed to resign or was compelled to by the administration especially when he clearly has the support a former players and apparently the WR core had been very vocal about wanting him to stay.

On the other hand, I highly doubt that there was any malice behind what he said and mistakes/lapses in judgement happen but man, given everything that’s happened at OU over the last few years…it blows my mind that an OU lifer player/coach would make THAT mistake. Definitely feels like there is more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    there really is not what tu cane posted is what happened ...

if you want more context look at what the Gundy's current and former players have said on social media ..

this decision went above the head of the football program

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep.
    Curious what else you think there is? This all seemed to have transpired fairly quickly and everyone has been open.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Curious what else you think there is? This all seemed to have transpired fairly quickly and everyone has been open.
    Was the event he describes the actual event that transpired? Did someone ask him to resign? Were there other events before this that somehow contributed to this? Why wait a week after the incident then resign at 11pm on a Sunday night? Is the real reason he is leaving that he cooked an even drier brisket than Riley?

I would imagine if the administration of OU thought the incident was so bad they would have had a statement on the incident and their zero-tolerance policy about it.

It all appears to have been a mistake by Cale. He wanted to make a point by singling out the player for goofing around and not taking notes on the first day of practice. By doing so, he blurted out words that he shouldn't have and that is on him. I do not think the punishment fits the crime.

My gut feeling is that Brent V was kind of forced to make the call. I am sure that there are some underlying factors on why the decision was made, such as the whole SAE incident a few years ago and it probably doesn't; help Cale that his brother Mike almost got fired a year ago for another racial incident with his players.

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Some more context from the Head Coach today:

"As painful as it has been dealing with Coach Gundy resigning
    from the program, it doesn't touch the experience of pain felt by
    a room full of young men I am charged to protect, lead and love.
    There are a few things I would like to address.
    Coach Gundy resigned from the program because he knows what
    he did was wrong. He chose to read aloud to his players, not once
    but multiple times, a racially charged word that is objectionable
    to everyone, and does not reflect the attitude and values of our
    university or our football program. This is not acceptable. Period
    Coach Gundy did the right thing in resigning. He knows our goals
    for excellence and that coaches have special responsibilities to
    set an example. He also knows that, while he will always be a part
    of the OU family, that his words affected many of us and did not
    represent the principles of our university. Again, his resignation
    was the right thing to do, and we will move forward positively."

Sounds like Coach Gundy thought he did wrong and owned up to it. Resigned and BV agreed it was the right thing to do.

My guess is at least one person in the program was offended, and that is all it took. Props to Coach Gundy for resigning before it became a distraction, which it certainly would have, even if zero people in the program were offended. Nothing stays quiet for very long these days.

Coach Venables can't afford to have this kind of stuff distracting the team, so it's best for all involved that Cale resigned. Some school is going to get a heck of a coach if he decides to look for a new job.

I may end up being wrong about this, but I have a feeling that this could be very distracting for the team. The media around here is whipped up into a frenzy right now. If there is any divisiveness in the locker room, it could spiral into a bad deal. We’ll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep.
    Well, if he said it "multiple times?"

Remember, this isn't the first coach at OU who has had to resign over something like this.

Larry Cochell set the precedent on this 17 years ago.

Blog Entries

I have to wonder if this would have been Chavis, Bates, Schmidt etc.. would they still be on the staff as contrasted to Cale. That will never be answered, but I tend to think Cale isn’t really a Lebby guy, and that at least in some small part factored into the “resignation.”

I have been curious for quite sometime as to why he was never promoted or mentioned as a candidate for an OC at some other school. I can't think of another power 5 position coach for 23 years never advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I have to wonder if this would have been Chavis, Bates, Schmidt etc.. would they still be on the staff as contrasted to Cale. That will never be answered, but I tend to think Cale isn’t really a Lebby guy, and that at least in some small part factored into the “resignation.”
    this is not a good take .... it is about being a Brent guy not a lebby guy ..... . most of the offensive staff was from pre lebby ..... oline wr Rb TE all stayed from last year

Blog Entries

If Lebby wasn’t fully in the Cale camp it mattered. And that is being talked about a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    If Lebby wasn’t fully in the Cale camp it mattered. And that is being talked about a lot.
    this is Brent's program PERIOD >>........ the buck starts and stops there

Thread Information