Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

OU presented us with another "instant classic" replay of a losing effort that OU fans can replay for years. We have several that occassionally pop up OU/Boise, OU/GA/, OU/ TX, OU/Miami/ OU/NE, OU/LSU/ OU/FL. We come up big losers against quality teams more that I can recount.

Yeah this one was something. It really blew up the OU defense....again. Sports Illustrated called it - said OU D and Mike Stoops (by name) were "exposed." Stoops somehow survived 2014 Baylor and the Rose Bowl; don't know if he can survive this.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It is the coaches fault. They let the wrong one go back when Venables left and there wasn't room for both of them.
    They didn't let anyone go; Bob brought back his brother after being fired at Arizona, and Brent rightly felt he didn't deserve to be "demoted" back to Co-DC with Bob's brother. That's why Brent left. And a great example of why nepotism is A Bad Thing in business. OU is paying the price.

If Mike Stoops is not fired at the end of the season, then Lincoln Riley does not have control has the head coach and should leave.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    If Mike Stoops is not fired at the end of the season, then Lincoln Riley does not have control has the head coach and should leave.
    This game was the nail in the coffin. He’s done at OU but will likely finish the season. The question now becomes who will OU hire to replace him? A proven veteran or young upstart?

That defense was unacceptable.

Riley deserves better.

And I will be sad to see Murray go. Hate to tell native Okies (as I am not from this state), some darker days are ahead for OU.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    This game was the nail in the coffin. He’s done at OU but will likely finish the season. The question now becomes who will OU hire to replace him? A proven veteran or young upstart?
    I have to believe Riley is smart enough to have developed a shortlist of candidates, particularly after last year.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    They didn't let anyone go; Bob brought back his brother after being fired at Arizona, and Brent rightly felt he didn't deserve to be "demoted" back to Co-DC with Bob's brother. That's why Brent left. And a great example of why nepotism is A Bad Thing in business. OU is paying the price.
    it wouldn't have lasted for long. One or the other would have moved on and it wouldn't have been the head coaches brother. OU let Venables leave. l think we are agreeing, Venables should have been retained, if possible.

9. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    l hope a young upstart who is a superb recruiter.

How easily we forget that almost the entire fan base was calling for Venables’s head back then.

Blog Entries

To me, the only question is does he go mid-season (and maybe Ruffin is interim) or does he go at season end. Mid-season coordinator changes are dicey and smack of instability but ultimately the issue is what’s best for recruiting and the rest of the season. I betcha Lincoln and Joe C have talked some this weekend.

He’s out as we speak

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    He’s out as we speak
    Yep..a flurry of activity.

He’s out as we speak
    I saw it coming, just not in the middle of the season. Bold move!

There is just no excuse for a program like OU to have a mediocre defense. He should of been fired after the Rose Bowl.

I knew the Texas game was the last straw. Surprised it came mid-season. Sources say Bob Diaco is the interim DC.

Blog Entries

Mike Stoops finally out as Oklahoma defensive coordinator, per multiple reports: https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...oklahoma-fired

Wish Mike the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I saw it coming, just not in the middle of the season. Bold move!

There is just no excuse for a program like OU to have a mediocre defense. He should of been fired after the Rose Bowl.
    Mediocre is being generous. Many of the defenses stats are near the bottom of the FBS. Our defense is horrendous.

Blog Entries

Lots of things flying around, but some pretty credible things being said about a locker room halftime meltdown yesterday and it got to level of OU President getting heavily involved in this decision.

I wasn’t on the fire Mike Stoops band wagon until after the Texas game but that was just an inexplicable way to lose that game. Can’t give up 48 points to a mediocre offense with such a mediocre QB.

Not defending mike here. I wasn’t on the bandwagon either until yesterday’s show. But it’s been obvious something had to change. I could clearly see kyler Murray’s expression, he was deeply rattled and could barely keep his composure. He looked as if spring training with the A’s couldn’t come fast enough. Defense was horrendous, but the O started to break apart in the third Q. They pulled it together in the 4th but it’s hard to beat a team when they hang half a hundred on you. I was painfully reminded that the bulldogs won 54-48 in the playoff.

Good riddance.

Needed to be done a long time ago. He kept OU from playing for a national title last year. Tulsa only gave up 28 points to Texas in Austin. Tulsa!

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Needed to be done a long time ago. He kept OU from playing for a national title last year. Tulsa only gave up 28 points to Texas in Austin. Tulsa!
    Don’t forget about the crap play calling by Lincoln in the 2nd half.

Don’t forget about the crap play calling by Lincoln in the 2nd half.
    more just the third quarter than the second half... but still... Georgia scored more points in that game than any other game that season. they only scored 42 against Samford... 31 against Appalachian state.. and our offense scored more than any team they faced... so looks like the D did worse than the O in that game

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    more just the third quarter than the second half... but still... Georgia scored more points in that game than any other game that season. they only scored 42 against Samford... 31 against Appalachian state.. and our offense scored more than any team they faced... so looks like the D did worse than the O in that game
    Don’t completely disagree. Just trying to spread the blame around as it should. And our terrible kicker could use some blame as well.

I just can’t stand OU fans sometimes. Fair weather af. It was only a few years ago that half the state was calling for Bob’s head. Now they’re sucking his d like they’ve been loyal all along. If Mike gets the opportunity to go somewhere else and does well and we have a few down years, people will be quick to forget how bad they treated him during the bad times here

Thread Information