Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272873 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

There is not going to be college football this fall. I've been saying this since last spring.

I think they'll try to get the NFL off the ground but wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would be very surprised if all Power 5 conferences don't postpone the season by the end of this week.

Not a coincidence OU suspended practice.
    ou suspended practice because the opener is not going to be august 29th and they only have X amount of practices when they suspended they also said they will start again on the 14th ..

that being said sadly i am not sure your main point is wrong ... but i don't think college football is dead yet

^

That is the reason they gave. That isn't the full truth.

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

^

That is the reason they gave. That isn't the full truth.
    That’s my belief also. Fall college sports may not be dead yet but they’re on life support. (Sorry if it’s a bad time for that comment).

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Big 10 just cancelled fall sports. PAC meeting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Big 10 just cancelled fall sports. PAC meeting now.
    BIG and PAC on one side SEC/ACC on the other side will be interesting on which side the BIG12 takes

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    BIG and PAC on one side SEC/ACC on the other side will be interesting on which side the BIG12 takes
    Interesting since the SEC/ACC areas have been hit much harder by the virus.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Interesting since the SEC/ACC areas have been hit much harder by the virus.
    Probably way off but maybe they look at it as “hey, we’ve already gone through hell what more can football hurt?”.

If you're going to make kids physically show up to class, why can't student athletes play football?

I'm not too keen on any students/student athletes showing up to campus during this pandemic PERIOD, but if they are, I don't see why sports can't be played if the proper precautions are taken.

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    If you're going to make kids physically show up to class, why can't student athletes play football?

I'm not too keen on any students/student athletes showing up to campus during this pandemic PERIOD, but if they are, I don't see why sports can't be played if the proper precautions are taken.
    Not arguing for football because I’m torn about how I feel. But there was a discussion this afternoon on many sports news outlets that the NCAA has an exception to the sit out a year rule if your school stops playing your sport. So if any of the 3 conferences left to decide end up playing football look for a lot of players to transfer to those tests. Could be a mess.

Let them Play!!!

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

If campus closes does football stop?

this is the point exactly the BIG 10 teams are in class and still practicing as of right now .. they just won't have games ..

glad that for now the Big12 SEC and ACC are playing

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    If campus closes does football stop?
    Students began moving in yesterday. There would have to be some dramatic events to reverse the opening at this point.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Students began moving in yesterday. There would have to be some dramatic events to reverse the opening at this point.
    I'm saying mid semester again. Lets say they make it to October and have to close. Do they keep football going or send the athletes home with everyone else.

It does sound like the Big 12 is going to move forward, which is surprising.

One of the big issues is that if you delay until spring, you'd be asking a lot of amateur athletes to play again in the fall, and there are concerns about all that contact and strain on their bodies with two seasons so close together.

The reality is that spring probably won't work either, so the thinking is probably just to go ahead and try with the conference schedule and see how it goes.

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

One of the big issues is that if you delay to spring, you'd be asking a lot of amateur athletes to play again in the fall, and there are concerns about all that contact and strain on their bodies with two seasons so close together.

The reality is that spring probably won't work either, so the thinking is probably just to go ahead and try with the conference schedule and see how it goes.
    I agree. As much as Spring might be better it just doesn't work for the future. It is either all cancel or give Fall a shot I think.

One of the big issues is that if you delay until spring, you'd be asking a lot of amateur athletes to play again in the fall, and there are concerns about all that contact and strain on their bodies with two seasons so close together.

As intriguing as a spring season would be, you also have the issue of the NFL draft in April. Not having a fall season is rough on people like Joe Burrow who need their senior season to improve (or in his case..vastly improve) their draft stock. You're also going to have a bunch of athletes skip a spring season to prep for the draft.

my question is will players have the option to sit out this season if their team is still playing and not lose scholarship? if they make that exception, then i'm okay with them playing because it's all volunteer at that point.

20. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

this is the point exactly the BIG 10 teams are in class and still practicing as of right now .. they just won't have games ..

glad that for now the Big12 SEC and ACC are playing
    Are you sure the Big10 are practicing? The NCAA has a rule that you can only start practices so many days before your first game. So if they’re practicing they’re doing it against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Are you sure the Big10 are practicing? The NCAA has a rule that you can only start practices so many days before your first game. So if they’re practicing they’re doing it against the rules.
    yes they are still doing the "offseason" 20 hours per week

“We are allowed to hold voluntary practices, meetings and strength and conditioning under the 20-hour rule through camp,” team spokesman Dave Ablauf told MLive in a text message. “This was communicated to our administration by the Big Ten.”

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...-practice.html

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    my question is will players have the option to sit out this season if their team is still playing and not lose scholarship? if they make that exception, then i'm okay with them playing because it's all volunteer at that point.
    Yes absolutely there is. There is a list somewhere online. Several top rated potential draft picks have opted out even before the big10 and Pac 12 have canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Yes absolutely there is. There is a list somewhere online. Several top rated potential draft picks have opted out even before the big10 and Pac 12 have canceled.
    i know of the draft picks... i'm curious about underclassmen who can't just jump straight to the NFL. are the protected from loosing their scholarship at the end of the year if they refuse to play? that is the piece i haven't seen yet. and last list i saw, only showed people who wouldn't care if they lost their scholarships, cause they are going to the NFL anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i know of the draft picks... i'm curious about underclassmen who can't just jump straight to the NFL. are the protected from loosing their scholarship at the end of the year if they refuse to play? that is the piece i haven't seen yet. and last list i saw, only showed people who wouldn't care if they lost their scholarships, cause they are going to the NFL anyways.
    yes they are it was required by the NCAA a mich st guy is sitting out this year

yes they are it was required by the NCAA a mich st guy is sitting out this year
    can you tell me where they are required? because as of 7 days ago, the Washington post was reporting that it wasn't a requirement, only a promise from the universities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...last-pandemic/

Doyle’s coaches supported his decision, and schools in the Power Five conferences have pledged to honor the scholarships of players who opt out and said those athletes will remain in good standing with their programs. But Doyle said he has friends at other schools who feel such a decision is only supported “on paper” and the coaches “might not mean it at all and it be very obvious.”
    this says the schools have pledged to honor... but not a requirement. so they are not actually protected, unless that has changed in the last 7 days.

Thread Information