Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 85 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

What does Boomer and Sooner have to do with the Native American community? I get that they settled on previous Indian Territory, but only after the govt told them to. They cheated the rules of the Land Run but I’m not sure what this has to do with the tribes. I could be missing something.

If your a Native American who finds Sooner or Boomer offensive, there is probably no way to make you happy unless the U.S. government is completely disbanded. Seeing the US flag everyday would be a reminder of what happen over the past 300 years.

I wrote a long response that was lost because I submitted but had been logged out by the website (which happens all the time), but I'll just leave this article: https://nondoc.com/2015/09/03/better...s-and-sooners/.

"Boomers and Sooners were two kinds of criminals. In the late 1870s, Boomers, notably led by David L. Payne until his death in 1884, were so named because they were “booming,” or making considerable noise, about opening Indian Territory to Anglo settlement. Payne led groups of Boomers – would-be settlers in search of a homestead – into Indian Territory where they camped until they were seen, reported, and arrested for the crime of trespass upon Indian land. Among those carrying out the arrests were black U.S. cavalrymen, the famed Buffalo Soldiers, on rotation from chasing Geronimo around the Southwest. Boomer propaganda exploited that fact, so that right-thinking people in the eastern United States would understand that blacks were arresting whites for trespassing on Indian land and thereby threatening the established social order. Public pressure built, and President Benjamin Harrison presided over the opening of a portion of Indian Territory to white settlers on April 22, 1889."

Yes, the Boomers were deeply racist and sought to steal Indigenous lands by theft or legalizing theft... which they did. The first law of Oklahoma sought White supremacy in the state. I know this is uncomfortable for those who have not studied history, but it's legitimate to consider whether we want schools, holidays, statues, and chants named after those who openly sought to exclude people of color and Indigenous Peoples as policy.

Thanks for the info. For me anyway, it makes it a more of a legitimate concern than before you posted it.Something I do when the logout happens is copy pasta everything I have in the text editor after I get the message that I'm not allowed to do it, log in, and then paste it.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I wrote a long response that was lost because I submitted but had been logged out by the website (which happens all the time), but I'll just leave this article: https://nondoc.com/2015/09/03/better...s-and-sooners/.

"Boomers and Sooners were two kinds of criminals. In the late 1870s, Boomers, notably led by David L. Payne until his death in 1884, were so named because they were “booming,” or making considerable noise, about opening Indian Territory to Anglo settlement. Payne led groups of Boomers – would-be settlers in search of a homestead – into Indian Territory where they camped until they were seen, reported, and arrested for the crime of trespass upon Indian land. Among those carrying out the arrests were black U.S. cavalrymen, the famed Buffalo Soldiers, on rotation from chasing Geronimo around the Southwest. Boomer propaganda exploited that fact, so that right-thinking people in the eastern United States would understand that blacks were arresting whites for trespassing on Indian land and thereby threatening the established social order. Public pressure built, and President Benjamin Harrison presided over the opening of a portion of Indian Territory to white settlers on April 22, 1889."

Yes, the Boomers were deeply racist and sought to steal Indigenous lands by theft or legalizing theft... which they did. The first law of Oklahoma sought White supremacy in the state. I know this is uncomfortable for those who have not studied history, but it's legitimate to consider whether we want schools, holidays, statues, and chants named after those who openly sought to exclude people of color and Indigenous Peoples as policy.
    This gives me a much more clear reference to where the students were coming from with this vote and something that I was not thinking about when initially hearing the story.

Blog Entries

We see in this article how the idea that you can run a university like a cold corporation just doesn't work. Gallogly was an awful fit and will cost the UofO for many years.

Gallogly was so unqualified for the job it’s unreal.

I would still like to know what caused Gallogly to suddenly 'quit' and be completely vanished in a few days.

This whole episode was ugly and reflects badly on the university and state.

I think the large problem is people really don't know the history of the words. Not saying they are at the fault, or even if the meanings have changed over time. Once they do, they understand the other's viewpoint (like the previous posters).

But when the majority doesn't understand the history, does that make using certain words/phrases okay?

I agree that most people don't know the Boomer/Sooner history and I personally don't know of anyone who uses the terms with the intention of harming Indigenous Peoples. Boren actually argued that the meaning of those terms has evolved and changed over time to vary from their original meaning. I don't think that explanation will satisfy everyone, particularly Indigenous Peoples. The settler narrative has become so accepted that most people don't consider the historical or contemporary meanings. I think a healthy discussion of the terms would be a good thing for all OU folks because it's a good opportunity to discuss important issues. This is happening with recognition of Indigenous Peoples Day and other events/literature/etc.

Personally, I've largely quit using Boomer/Sooner and tend to say, "Go OU" when the situation merits it. I've just read too much of the history so I personally can't separate the phrase from it's historical meaning anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would still like to know what caused Gallogly to suddenly 'quit' and be completely vanished in a few days.

This whole episode was ugly and reflects badly on the university and state.
    The Board of Regents gets off the hook, but they really should bear more responsibility. They have lacked transparency or wisdom over and over again recently and there seems to be no accountability.

I agree that most people don't know the Boomer/Sooner history and I personally don't know of anyone who uses the terms with the intention of harming Indigenous Peoples. Boren actually argued that the meaning of those terms has evolved and changed over time to vary from their original meaning. I don't think that explanation will satisfy everyone, particularly Indigenous Peoples. The settler narrative has become so accepted that most people don't consider the historical or contemporary meanings. I think a healthy discussion of the terms would be a good thing for all OU folks because it's a good opportunity to discuss important issues. This is happening with recognition of Indigenous Peoples Day and other events/literature/etc.

Personally, I've largely quit using Boomer/Sooner and tend to say, "Go OU" when the situation merits it. I've just read too much of the history so I personally can't separate the phrase from it's historical meaning anymore.
    I'm not buying the narrative that most people don't know the history. If you are speaking generally for everyone in the U.S. then maybe. If you are referring to Oklahoman's that's where I'm not buying it. If you grew up in this state multiple times during your education you would have been taught about Boomers/Sooners. So sure there are some nuances that may be left out, but generally speaking people get it.

I think Boren's argument is spot on, and we see this with many words, another prime example is Okie. As an Indian myself (no not Native American, and not indigenous person) I find it a stretch that this is widely thought of as offensive, as I've never encountered someone claiming to be offended by either term. I've heard arguments of "why would you want to name your team after a bunch of cheaters," but that's about the extent of it.

Regardless of what people think you can't simply erase history and right every wrong that ever happened. I also find it a bit disingenuous to continually judge historical actions by today's standards. I will agree that we should continue to educate people on historical meanings of certain words, I think that's very important.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I've always been under the impression that Sooners were the ones who went in and staked claims early while Boomers were the ones who played by the rules. Now l see l was wrong. While l can understand the problems Native Americans might have with it, l doubt no more than a handful of people think about it, or, like me , even know the meaning as they sing or yell it at the games. There are several people who have sat around our seats for years who are clearly Native Americans and yell Boomer - Sooner right along with the rest of us. Its become a mindless tradition to us, like Boola Boola would be.

We are all now aware of how Native Americans were treated and it's not that we don't have regrets about how they were treated but it's done. Boomer Sooner has lost it's meaning like Halloween's origins are ignored or have been forgotten by all but fundamental Christians.

Like the upside down Longhorn is supposed to be stopped, people will forever do it, and do it more, because of the rivalry. Trying to ban Boomer Sooner will, l believe, have the opposite effect - it will cause enormous resentment and could even be severely damaging to the school.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I’m 60 and I went all the way through school here. The first sentence of mugofbeer’s above post is all I remember ever being taught. Apparently a lot was left out of Oklahoma history lessons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I’m 60 and I went all the way through school here. The first sentence of mugofbeer’s above post is all I remember ever being taught. Apparently a lot was left out of Oklahoma history lessons.
    And I’m 69, graduated from John Marshall in 1968, and I don’t remember any Oklahoma history about Boomer/Sooner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm not buying the narrative that most people don't know the history. If you are speaking generally for everyone in the U.S. then maybe. If you are referring to Oklahoman's that's where I'm not buying it. If you grew up in this state multiple times during your education you would have been taught about Boomers/Sooners. So sure there are some nuances that may be left out, but generally speaking people get it.

I think Boren's argument is spot on, and we see this with many words, another prime example is Okie. As an Indian myself (no not Native American, and not indigenous person) I find it a stretch that this is widely thought of as offensive, as I've never encountered someone claiming to be offended by either term. I've heard arguments of "why would you want to name your team after a bunch of cheaters," but that's about the extent of it.

Regardless of what people think you can't simply erase history and right every wrong that ever happened. I also find it a bit disingenuous to continually judge historical actions by today's standards. I will agree that we should continue to educate people on historical meanings of certain words, I think that's very important.
    I went to school at a very good school system in Oklahoma and was never taught anything about Boomer and Sooner political history.

18. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

In learning the origin of the word "Boomer" was not what l had thought or had been taught it meant, and reading what dantrutka said about it, l decided to read up on the subject. The words Boomer and Sooner really only apply to the "unassigned lands" that were opened for settlement in the 1889 land run. They have nothing to do with the rest of the state.

Without going into a long historical text which can easily be found if you read beyond Wikipedia, the story is somewhat as dantrutka relates but there is a bit more to the story.

We all know and accept the outrageous treatment of Native Americans. Many tribes were moved to, and assigned lands in what is now Oklahoma. Prior to the civil war, a number of tribes were assimilating and trying to participate in US government with the hopes of establishing an "Indian State of Oklahoma."

During the Civil War, some tribes, specifically the Creeks and Seminoles supported the Confederacy. After the war, those tribes lost some 2 million acres of their assigned lands and this strip of today's central Oklahoma was known as The Unassigned Lands. Once the existance of these lands became public, there were those, including some Native Americans, who wanted to settle these lands. This movement became known as the "Boomer" movement.

As dantrutka states, there were multiple attempts and multiple arrests of those who attempted to settle the Unassigned lands. They were never successful. In 1889, the Unassigned Lands were legally opened for settlement in the land run. David Payne and many Boomers may or may not have been racists as dantrutka claims but the lands they felt should be settled by whites was land that, at the time, was not assigned to any tribe.

To me, many whites of the time were racists, not necessarily the Boomers. The whole official policy of forcefully moving Native Americans from their homelands was despicable and Native Americans were ruled against over and over again. Though many Native Americans tried to assimilate, the dream of a Native American State of Oklahoma failed, no doubt due to racism.

The Unassigned Lands were taken as punishment for supporting the Confederacy so when Boomers tried to settle the lands, they weren't seeing this as taking Native American land, they were seeing the Unassigned Lands as open land that non-lndians could settle. One side note is that many Boomers were of southern African American descent because there was an organized attempt to make the unassigned lands an African American state. A number of African Americans also participated in the land run so it wasn't an exclusively white action.

In summary, the words Boomer and Sooner don't appear to have any direct racist undertones. They are, however, both term for people who tried to circumvent the law at the time. The whole national policy toward Native Americans, at the time, was racist by today's standards but the lands in question weren't even officially Native American lands at that time. The OU students appear to be off base.

Of course there are countless nuances to our history. I also admit this whole bit was quickly cobbled together so l may have missed some things but it was a summary from multiple sources.

I’d be ecstatic if I never again heard “boomer” and/or “sooner”.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Ok, boomer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Lol. That’s what ALL the cowboys are saying today.
    And Bears, Longhorns, Wildcats, Frogs, Raiders, Jayhawks, Cyclones, and Mountaineers.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    In learning the origin of the word "Boomer" was not what l had thought or had been taught it meant, and reading what dantrutka said about it, l decided to read up on the subject. The words Boomer and Sooner really only apply to the "unassigned lands" that were opened for settlement in the 1889 land run. They have nothing to do with the rest of the state. Without going into a long historical text which can easily be found if you read beyond Wikipedia, the story is somewhat as dantrutka relates but there is a bit more to the story. We all know and accept the outrageous treatment of Native Americans. Many tribes were moved to, and assigned lands in what is now Oklahoma. Prior to the civil war, a number of tribes were assimilating and trying to participate in US government with the hopes of establishing an "Indian State of Oklahoma." During the Civil War, some tribes, specifically the Creeks and Seminoles supported the Confederacy. After the war, those tribes lost some 2 million acres of their assigned lands and this strip of today's central Oklahoma was known as The Unassigned Lands. Once the existance of these lands became public, there were those, including some Native Americans, who wanted to settle these lands. This movement became known as the "Boomer" movement. As dantrutka states, there were multiple attempts and multiple arrests of those who attempted to settle the Unassigned lands. They were never successful. In 1889, the Unassigned Lands were legally opened for settlement in the land run. David Payne and many Boomers may or may not have been racists as dantrutka claims but the lands they felt should be settled by whites was land that, at the time, was not assigned to any tribe.To me, many whites of the time were racists, not necessarily the Boomers. The whole official policy of forcefully moving Native Americans from their homelands was despicable and Native Americans were ruled against over and over again. Though many Native Americans tried to assimilate, the dream of a Native American State of Oklahoma failed, no doubt due to racism. The Unassigned Lands were taken as punishment for supporting the Confederacy so when Boomers tried to settle the lands, they weren't seeing this as taking Native American land, they were seeing the Unassigned Lands as open land that non-lndians could settle. One side note is that many Boomers were of southern African American descent because there was an organized attempt to make the unassigned lands an African American state. A number of African Americans also participated in the land run so it wasn't an exclusively white action.In summary, the words Boomer and Sooner don't appear to have any direct racist undertones. They are, however, both term for people who tried to circumvent the law at the time. The whole national policy toward Native Americans, at the time, was racist by today's standards but the lands in question weren't even officially Native American lands at that time. The OU students appear to be off base. Of course there are countless nuances to our history. I also admit this whole bit was quickly cobbled together so l may have missed some things but it was a summary from multiple sources.
    The fact that the terms Boomer and Sooner applied primarily to settlers who were angling for the government to open the UNASSIGNED LANDS to settlement, seems to be a historical point that everyone has conveniently left out of what is already a stupid argument. This reeks of the same oversimplification of history that's so prevalent among far left leaning individuals that want to view historic events as if everyone during that time should've thought like we do. I'm 32 and our OK history class taught all about that part of Oklahoma history, so I'm glad we went more in depth than many classes did (though I do wish it had been a full year course instead of one semester). I just wish I had enough free time to find all these supposed injustices and casually research them so that I know just enough to get upset about them with out fully understanding the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The fact that the terms Boomer and Sooner applied primarily to settlers who were angling for the government to open the UNASSIGNED LANDS to settlement, seems to be a historical point that everyone has conveniently left out of what is already a stupid argument. This reeks of the same oversimplification of history that's so prevalent among far left leaning individuals that want to view historic events as if everyone during that time should've thought like we do. I'm 32 and our OK history class taught all about that part of Oklahoma history, so I'm glad we went more in depth than many classes did (though I do wish it had been a full year course instead of one semester). I just wish I had enough free time to find all these supposed injustices and casually research them so that I know just enough to get upset about them with out fully understanding the big picture.
    You got us all. I didn't know that the land was UNASSIGNED. I really should learn more history.

How about that game last weekend? Finally put a complete performance together. Hopefully they can do it again this weekend and let the chips fall where they may for the Playoff. I'm worried Baylor will give us quite the challenge.

BOOMER SOONER!

You got us all. I didn't know that the land was UNASSIGNED. I really should learn more history.
    Well clearly some people don't realize the significance of that when a student government organization is suggesting that the school's mascot/chant/etc should be changed because Boomers and Sooners took the native american's land. It also seems like something you would've mentioned in you're post if you were really going for an honest conversation on the topic. If you want to say they were all big, bad racists and that's why the terms Boomer and Sooner shouldn't be the used ...that's a fair point...but so were 90% of other white people at the time. But if that's the real reason behind not wanting to use the terms Boomer and Sooner... Abraham Lincoln would be considered a major racist if held to today's standards so where do you stop? I guess my main annoyance is people continually looking issues to be upset about when no one that they're claiming should be upset about them... are actually upset about them.

Thread Information