Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    OU has been good for one inexplicable October regular-season loss per year under Riley. Hopefully they can turn it around again, I still think they have a decent shot to sneak in at 12-1. If they lose another one, they are toast.
    I am honestly not sure if they will be able to defeat Baylor in Waco in a few weeks, it is going to be tough

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

Sooners 42 - Cyclones 41

Blog Entries

Tramel's article today was pretty on point in my view. A lot of parity in the B12. CFP rankings Tuesday will be interesting. CBS Sports has OU #4; Bleacher Report has Oregon #4; some ESPN have Bama #4.

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Yeah, OU isn't a 4 ranked team. Can't be #1 every year.

Blog Entries

FiveThirtyEight has an interactive predictor where you can adjust what happens going forward and it shows their predictions on what happens. Fun to play around with. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ll-predictions

What a comeback win!! It is the biggest comeback win in franchise history! I am so proud of our Sooners! Boomer Sooner!!

What a fun game to watch. There can’t be anyone happier than Coach Grinch. After a couple of tough games and a really bad first half, they made the adjustments and stepped up on defense. We only gave up 69 yards in the second half. Keeping their offense on the sideline contributed to their defense being gassed in the fourth quarter... I would hate to have been that guy that got so disgusted with our play in the first half that he turned it off...haha

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    What a fun game to watch. There can’t be anyone happier than Coach Grinch. After a couple of tough games and a really bad first half, they made the adjustments and stepped up on defense. We only gave up 69 yards in the second half. Keeping their offense on the sideline contributed to their defense being gassed in the fourth quarter... I would hate to have been that guy that got so disgusted with our play in the first half that he turned it off...haha
    My friend did exactly that at halftime and went to bed and I texted him and told him that Sooners won and he thought I was playing with him so he had to look it up, I told him to never give up on our Sooners! He missed a great game!

Blog Entries

Are we witnessing a return to Sooner Magic...

Blog Entries

Interesting: OU defense did not allow Baylor to score the whole second half.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Are we witnessing a return to Sooner Magic...

Two miracle wins in a row?

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Interesting: OU defense did not allow Baylor to score the whole second half.
    Or you could say our offense didn't let them score in the whole second half.... Been a long time since I saw a Sooner offense dominate the game clock the way they did in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    *cough*

er... this is awkward. My own mother even called me Sunday to give me crap because I did this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    *cough*

er... this is awkward. My own mother even called me Sunday to give me crap because I did this.
    I do not blame your mother, never give up on our Sooners!

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

So apparently this is a thing

"According to the OU Daily, the Undergraduate Student Congress met Nov. 12 to mandate a name change for the “Sooner Freshman Council”, citing the words “boomer” and “sooner” as offensive to the Native American community."

https://campusreform.org/?ID=14011

As an OSU alum (and a parent paying for a kid at OSU currently), I fully support an initiative to ban both words...

As an OSU alum (and a parent paying for a kid at OSU currently), I fully support an initiative to ban both words...
    lol

If Oklahoma State has those words, you would be supporting them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    If Oklahoma State has those words, you would be supporting them
    I find them offensive as well, and I certainly don't have a bias. (sarcasm off).

Truly, I have thought it was strange to name your mascot after an outlaw. Maybe it's not that weird. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    So apparently this is a thing

"According to the OU Daily, the Undergraduate Student Congress met Nov. 12 to mandate a name change for the “Sooner Freshman Council”, citing the words “boomer” and “sooner” as offensive to the Native American community."

https://campusreform.org/?ID=14011
    I wonder which is more woke--finding the words boomer and sooner as offensive to the Native American Community by a group of presumably non-native students or telling the Native American community what they should be offended by?

They are so woke, they're running laps on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Truly, I have thought it was strange to name your mascot after an outlaw. Maybe it's not that weird. I don't know.
    I find it strange that you think that. So growing up playing organized sports, you felt it was weird when going up against a team called the Outlaws? Do you also ponder why we have raiders, pirates, and Vikings as mascots all over the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I wonder which is more woke--finding the words boomer and sooner as offensive to the Native American Community by a group of presumably non-native students or telling the Native American community what they should be offended by?

They are so woke, they're running laps on themselves.
    I wonder what’s more woke... Destroying and sanitizing our historic past or calling those that oppose it racist...

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I find it strange that you think that. So growing up playing organized sports, you felt it was weird when going up against a team called the Outlaws? Do you also ponder why we have raiders, pirates, and Vikings as mascots all over the country?
    I actually played on a team called the Outlaws as a child, however, the team was previously known as the Braves and was involved in one of the biggest on field brawls in the league, mind you, this was a 12 and under league. So the name was a take on that event. However, Sooners aren't exactly the best of breed show up storm the castle and take all your women type figures in history. They were literally just cheaters in a contest...dare I say cowards even. Comparing the names of legendary characters to Sooners doesn't seem quite fair.

While I can't speak and tell people not to be offended by something that may be offensive to them, I have a hard time getting too upset over the use of the words Sooner or Boomer. I think we've reached a consensus that you can't use minority groups and/or caricatures of minority groups as your mascot. but I feel like if we go down this road, we should just eliminate any mascots which represent any humans in any ways. The argument could be made that using "Cowboys" is culturally insensitive to Native Americans, and it also represents a whitewashed ideal of the cowboy perpetuated by TV.

(as for sooner vs raiders or pirates or vikings - I find it interesting that the inclusion of rape, pillaging and murder somehow makes the mascots more acceptable - or at least least offensive)

Thread Information