Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

We keep getting odd info about this project but there is simply no way a housing company enters into a multi-million deal with a large public university (and vice versa) without a contract that specifies all the details.

I'd really like to understand what is going on here.

2. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I do want to see how that was all set up. I can't imagine with the law team that OU has they would pull everything out without a plan. Seemed doomed from the start with the cost of living there.

I heard that the leasing company, originally working with Boren, has an understanding they were going to sign a 25 year lease with OU. Gallogly came in, saw the amount of money they wanted and axed the 25 year lease and would only agree to a single year lease. The original 25 year lease to OU was something like $25 per square foot. After what happened with Gallogly, the leasing company now wants $80 per square foot. (I'm not 100% certain of these prices, but that's what I was told by someone who works for OU directly, but he also wasn't 100% sure on that pricing)

Literally, OU saw that and just immediately backed out, took absolutely everything g they had there out and moved it back to Cate Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I heard that the leasing company, originally working with Boren, has an understanding they were going to sign a 25 year lease with OU. Gallogly came in, saw the amount of money they wanted and axed the 25 year lease and would only agree to a single year lease. The original 25 year lease to OU was something like $25 per square foot. After what happened with Gallogly, the leasing company now wants $80 per square foot. (I'm not 100% certain of these prices, but that's what I was told by someone who works for OU directly, but he also wasn't 100% sure on that pricing)

Literally, OU saw that and just immediately backed out, took absolutely everything g they had there out and moved it back to Cate Center.
    I do not blame them

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I do not blame them
    Absolutely not. Cross Center has been a really weird dissapointment. With any luck, the two sides can figure something out and maybe OU can just buy the entire facility to better accommodate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Absolutely not. Cross Center has been a really weird dissapointment. With any luck, the two sides can figure something out and maybe OU can just buy the entire facility to better accommodate it.
    I hope so!

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma

Blog Entries

I don’t know how those Receivers could even see Rattler’s passes. The guy was throwing laser beams.

I'm a fan of D1 college football and OU. It is an insult to the fans for OU and the Big 12 to be putting this level of competition on the field. Charging more than 20 bucks for what is an exhibition game is exploitive.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm a fan of D1 college football and OU. It is an insult to the fans for OU and the Big 12 to be putting this level of competition on the field. Charging more than 20 bucks for what is an exhibition game is exploitive.
    Explore the reason S Dakota is on the schedule. Another D1 school backed out of their contract and OU couldn't find another replacement - unless the NCAA decides to get involved in scheduling, you can't force someone to play us at home. Joe Mussatto at the DOK wrote about it Sept. 5. Can't blame this on OU.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Explore the reason S Dakota is on the schedule. Another D1 school backed out of their contract and OU couldn't find another replacement - unless the NCAA decides to get involved in scheduling, you can't force someone to play us at home. Joe Mussatto at the DOK wrote about it Sept. 5. Can't blame this on OU.
    Read your cite and the justification for this game. That justification does not hold for 2 more FCS teams playing here over the next 5 years. Alabama was cited as paying twice as much for a low seeded FBS team. Alabama also had a 35/45 dollar ticket. OU charging 75 is something that Joe C. can change.

13. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Read your cite and the justification for this game. That justification does not hold for 2 more FCS teams playing here over the next 5 years. Alabama was cited as paying twice as much for a low seeded FBS team. Alabama also had a 35/45 dollar ticket. OU charging 75 is something that Joe C. can change.
    Fair enough. I would like to see the NCAA put a stop to it entirely. I do agree that absolutely no one wants to see these games. Otherwise, add 1 required exhibition game maybe every 2 -3 years where these D2 teams can play up to get a decent pay day and fans can see the 2nd stringers.

The obvious solution is for FBS schools to play an exhibition against FCS schools to replace the spring games that people like even less than these early-season body-bag games.

But, as a counterpoint, I will say that some of the top FCS schools are more challenging opponents than some of the bottom tier FBS schools. Note that Northern Iowa took a good Iowa State team to triple OT in Week One this year. The issue with OU vs. South Dakota is that OU is almost certainly one of the top 5-10 teams in FBS this year, and then South Dakota is likely going to be a mediocre at best FCS team this year. Those two factors will always result in a meaningless blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Fair enough. I would like to see the NCAA put a stop to it entirely. I do agree that absolutely no one wants to see these games. Otherwise, add 1 required exhibition game maybe every 2 -3 years where these D2 teams can play up to get a decent pay day and fans can see the 2nd stringers.
    they are not D2 teams they are D1 teams

16. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Splitting hairs. l think everyone understands the point. They may technically be D1 but they are FCS which isn't top division football. The point is, NO one in top division football should play FCS or D2 unless it is some sort of exhibition. No one wants these games on a formal schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they are not D2 teams they are D1 teams
    FBS schools were previously referred as D1-A.
    FCS schools were previously referred as D1-AA
    FBS can award 85 full scholarships , FCS only 63, but can break them to partials. Also two totally different playoff championship criteria and methods for playoffs.

18. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

FBS can award 85 full scholarships , FCS only 63, but can break them to partials. Also two totally different playoff championship criteria and methods for playoffs.
    Thank you.

and to be more clear FCS and FBS are still D1

Football Championship Subdivision and Football Bowl Subdivision both in division 1 of the NCAA (and as such these are the schools D1 that are all in the ncaa basketball tourney )

Blog Entries

There are a lot of Sooners in Cali for the game this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the split is at the game. Last weekend UCLA reported 36K attendance at the Rose Bowl, and this week they offered 4 free tickets to people who attended that game.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Very fun game. Old town Pasadena looked more like Norman/campus corner!

Very likely that we could be looking at back to back to back to back Heisman Trophy winners:

2017: Baker
    2018: Kyler
    2019: Jalen
    2020: Spencer

That would be pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Very likely that we could be looking at back to back to back to back Heisman Trophy winners:

2017: Baker
    2018: Kyler
    2019: Jalen
    2020: Spencer

That would be pretty incredible.
    Why not go ahead and give a couple to some of Heisman's to OU's QB commitments and backups too?

Blog Entries

Current vegas odds have Tua 2-1 and Jalen 3-1. But last year they pulled it off the board when Tua appeared to be a lock.... and we know how that turned out.

Thread Information