Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State University

Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    WOW, Eeyore! You’re now an evangelical Anti-Oklahoman! It seems so worthwhile to keep posting such negative commentary on a site for a state halfway across the country that you hate so much. OKC sucks, Oklahoma Sucks, Oklahoma Schools SUCK! the Governor Sucks. The state government sucks! The city governments sucks! OU Sucks at football because it’s in the Big 12 which sucks so much. The Thunder Sucks! Now OSU sucks too! Am I missing anything? Maybe I missed your reasons for why Tulsa Sucks? In your infinite wisdom, does Edmond suck? What about Lawton, Ardmore or Enid? Can you check to see if there’s anything wrong with Grand Lake or any (or likely ALL) of our State Parks? Surely there’s a comment about our Airport that i missed but if not, what’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with UCO and OCU...did I miss those negative comments too or are they on deck for next week? Maybe I can pool all of your comments together and write “Why Oklahoma and Literally Everything In It SUCKS! For Dummies.” I’ll use the profits to create The DCSooner Center For Oklahoma Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too”

Maybe if we just admit that we suck at everything so much...we can find a way to stop sucking. Please Lord DCSooner...show us the way!!!
    First, let me suggest you don’t move to far away from either your bottle or medication, you appear to really stressed. Facts are often painful and the fact is Oklahoma does suck in many ways. There I said it! My angst is that it appears many residents like it that way. I was born and raised in Lawton, place is worst than when I was a kid and I’m 65. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and will continue to express it . Have a great Sooner day

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    First, let me suggest you don’t move to far away from either your bottle or medication, you appear to really stressed. Facts are often painful and the fact is Oklahoma does suck in many ways. There I said it! My angst is that it appears many residents like it that way. I was born and raised in Lawton, place is worst than when I was a kid and I’m 65. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and will continue to express it . Have a great Sooner day
    Ha! Okay. Well if posting about how much it sucks in the same post over and over again every day from halfway across the country makes you feel better as a 65 year old guy ...then power to you but it doesn’t make it any more constructive. And we all realize Oklahoma has issues. I can’t think of anyone here that is content with that, we just don’t post the same negative diatribe in response on every other thread and offer zero solutions....Pete sets a great example of how to express what’s wrong but do it constructively. Have fun with your constant Oklahoma bashing from afar! Go get em!

3. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    This is BS. This is part of that nobody can dare be offended crap. The student athlete doesn’t get to tell the coach what he wears. This kind of publicly shaming your coach would have resulted in summary dismissal - not all that long ago. I hate OAN, Gundy obviously likes it. Who cares? He shouldn’t have to run down a list of possible “triggers” for anybody. Get over it Hubbard. No hand holding from me and no, “we need to listen” crap. Maybe he, and others, need to listen about how their easily getting offended is unacceptable in a free society - or should be. The athlete speaking publicly this way about a coach wearing a TV logo - or anything! - is not a part of the deal. Surprised there’s so much sympathy.
    Apparently Gundy doesn't agree with you. He looked into it more and realized that a lot of what OAN stands for is offensive and that he was a "dumbass" for falling for it. Sometimes things are just wrong and like Chuba said, we shouldn't stand for it.

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1273613315642740741

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Apparently Gundy doesn't agree with you. He looked into it more and realized that a lot of what OAN stands for is offensive and that he was a "dumbass" for falling for it. Sometimes things are just wrong and like Chuba said, we shouldn't stand for it.

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1273613315642740741
    I don’t like One America News. Grundy does and is now lying. You would have to believe his previous praise of OAN was just a figment of his imagination the couple of other times he’s praised the network. Here, check this out, from just April(!) ... the link for the full story I’ll put at the end, but here’s a screenshot of the part that shows good and well he knows what OANN is all about. I’m sure he was told to walk it all back or OSU would lose recruits. What do you think the explanation could be? Does he think we’re stupid? Stand by your convictions! Whatever they may be. (Just click or tap on the image so you can read it.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PuNS6lY.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	16168
    Again, from April 20th of this year.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ts/2966225001/

6. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I don’t like One America News. Grundy does and is now lying. You would have to believe his previous praise of OAN was just a figment of his imagination the couple of other times he’s praised the network. Here, check this out, from just April(!) ... the link for the full story I’ll put at the end, but here’s a screenshot of the part that shows good and well he knows what OANN is all about. I’m sure he was told to walk it all back or OSU would lose recruits. What do you think the explanation could be? Does he think we’re stupid? Stand by your convictions! Whatever they may be.
    I think it is very likely the Gundy is apologizing because he got caught, not because he's had a change of heart. My point was sometimes it's OK to be offended by someone else's opinion if their opinion is flat out wrong.

We'll lets see, Men's basketball team gets hammered by the NCAA.

Football coach goes fishing' in an OAN shirt.

Story from 1989 resurfaces where he supposedly called an opposing player (who would go on to play in the NFL) a racial slur after he was sacked. Remember how good that CO team was that year. They had the ghost of Sal.

Sam Mayes (also played in the NFL) claims he was told to "get his black ass back in the huddle" during practice.

I'd say this hasn't been a good month for "America's Brightest Orange."

Remember that controversial SI story about the football program a few years ago? Now go back and read it.

I think it is very likely the Gundy is apologizing because he got caught, not because he's had a change of heart. My point was sometimes it's OK to be offended by someone else's opinion if their opinion is flat out wrong.
    And as for that, I agree completely! Hubbard daring to challenge his head coach publicly - at all - and get away with it...wow, have times changed. And all over a t-shirt that the kid was offended by.

Shadow — you are SO right. Bad month for Grundy.
    Oh! Yes, that SI article. Well, Boone was still around.$

9. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I wonder if Gundy now has to clear his wardrobe with the players each day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Remember that controversial SI story about the football program a few years ago? Now go back and read it.
    What article are you referring to? I am new to Oklahoma and would like to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    What article are you referring to? I am new to Oklahoma and would like to read it.
    Here you go...
    https://www.si.com/college/2013/09/1...report-archive
    It was a 5 part series. All the links are on the page at the link.

We'll lets see, Men's basketball team gets hammered by the NCAA.

Football coach goes fishing' in an OAN shirt.

Story from 1989 resurfaces where he supposedly called an opposing player (who would go on to play in the NFL) a racial slur after he was sacked. Remember how good that CO team was that year. They had the ghost of Sal.

Sam Mayes (also played in the NFL) claims he was told to "get his black ass back in the huddle" during practice.

I'd say this hasn't been a good month for "America's Brightest Orange."

Is there anything in SI’s “The Dirty Game” piece that connects to Gundy’s recent controversies in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    And the Times denied the Holocust (and won awards for it). Your point?
    First, whataboutism is not a defense of OAN, which is not a credible news source. Second, source? I’ve studied the Holocaust pretty deeply and the Times reported on the Holocaust early on. Their coverage—like most U.S. papers—was buried too deep in their pages. And that does not have anything to do with OAN. Please stop with the whataboutism tactic. It’s intellectually lazy.

Regarding the U.S. response to the Holocaust... While the U.S. liberated concentration camps, we are complicit in the death of hundreds of thousands of Holocaust victims because of anti-Semitic State Department bureaucrats, namely Breckenridge Long. Most people don’t realize how deeply anti-Semitic the US was, especially before WWII. I highly recommend these sources if you’d like to learn more about this critical topic:
    — Documentary: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...lms/holocaust/
    — Book: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ust,_1941-1945
    — Book (addresses all genocide responses): https://www.amazon.com/Problem-Hell-.../dp/1455879991

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac C. Parker View Post
    Is there anything in SI’s “The Dirty Game” piece that connects to Gundy’s recent controversies in some way?
    No, he's just an OU fan trolling. And the SI piece was investigated thoroughly and nothing came of it. The only thing the NCAA found was that the Orange Pride program was ran through the athletics department rather than the university. So OSU fixed that.

The SI piece was a sham. It was a couple disgruntled former players with an axe to grind and the writer was, shockingly, an OU grad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    No, he's just an OU fan trolling. And the SI piece was investigated thoroughly and nothing came of it. The only thing the NCAA found was that the Orange Pride program was ran through the athletics department rather than the university. So OSU fixed that.

The SI piece was a sham. It was a couple disgruntled former players with an axe to grind and the writer was, shockingly, an OU grad.
    I'd say this all speaks a lot to the culture of the athletic dept. in Stilly.

I still remember people talking about that CO game 30 years ago. It's not that little incident was a secret.

My question is...how is he going to recruit now?

I liked the days when the players just “Shut up and played.”

Dudes these days front like they bad, but most of them are Sissies when you get right down to it.

“Oh, you’re into Cancel Culture? Cool, we just canceled your Scholarship.”

17. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I still remember people talking about that CO game 30 years ago. It's not that little incident was a secret.

I think recruiting to OSU just got harder than it already was. For this one aspect of the situation I am very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

Dudes these days front like they bad, but most of them are Sissies when you get right down to it.

Nice Black players are to be exploited, not have opinions take. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Nice Black players are to be exploited, not have opinions take. Pathetic.
    I didn’t say anything about black players. You’re the one adding race into the equation, Bud.

Pathetic, but not unexpected.

Blog Entries

These are living, breathing real people who are bright and should enjoy all the benefits of being a US citizen. They are not owned by the school, coach, or the fans and not obligated to give up their conscience and voice in order to play a game.

Cancer culture is a trendy cute label, but frankly, if we can cancel out the honoring of people or institutions in the world that oppressed and abused innocent people and/or fought against the government of the United States, I’m all for it. Unfortunately we can’t cancel the evil they did. And we don’t cancel the memory of that evil. We retain the facts in properly reported history for all to learn and hopefully not to repeat. We just don’t have to idolize it.

It’s time we start thinking of our sports participants as free people.

Let’s talk sports, please.

I think the only true “shut up and play” era was 1946-55. The decade following WW 2 featured an inordinate amount of college students (and athletes) who were older than the norm and had military experience. From the 1960s onward there have been discussions and individuality from athletes on a regular basis.

We can complain about young people all we want. Old people always have and always will. But that does not recruit them to our colleges and universities.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I totally agree. And furthermore I think OSU should use that extensively in their recruiting process.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Just watch. Recruiting won't change unless something new comes out.. As far as l'm concerned, as an OU fan, he erred wearing the OAN shirt. Sometimes people simply need to just be aware that delving into anything political is simply a mine field.

As far as what 2 NFL players claim he said 30 years ago is just babble unless there is documentation from back then. Anyone can claim anything about anyone.

Blog Entries

I totally agree. And furthermore I think OSU should use that extensively in their recruiting process.
    LOL. I see what you did there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Just watch. Recruiting won't change unless something new comes out.. As far as l'm concerned, as an OU fan, he erred wearing the OAN shirt. Sometimes people simply need to just be aware that delving into anything political is simply a mine field.

As far as what 2 NFL players claim he said 30 years ago is just babble unless there is documentation from back then. Anyone can claim anything about anyone.
    I think the word has already been out there. And, it's not the people reading this board who matter in this issue, it's the African American kids they are trying to convince to come to their school rather than somewhere else.

Thread Information