Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State University

1. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

It's not the T-shirt that is the issue with me. If I were an OSU fan I would be concerned that my HC is stupid and gullible enough to think that OAN is a legitimate news source. These are the guys that pushed Pizzagate, Seth Rich, a septuagenarian Antifa Provocateur and said BLM was a criminal enterprise.
    Watch this clip from OAN and tell me a young black athlete shouldn't be upset that his coach is watching this BS.

https://twitter.com/cuckcourt/status...54179883003905

Default Re: Oklahoma State University

OAN funded this murdered black policeman last week:

Captain David Dorn Memorial Fund

$378,414 Raised
    9,288 Supporters
    $15,000 Goal 46 Days Left

Jack
    Campaign Owner
    We are raising money for the family of Captain David Dorn, who was killed in St Louis while defending his community. 77 year-old Dorn was reportedly murdered by a looter. All funds from this will go to his family.

Jack works at OAN

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I would encourage ANY prospect for a Football Scholarship at either OU or OSU in 2021 or 2022 to Rethink. The State of Politics in Oklahoma reflects an overall disdain for Black Lives and Black people. A silent Governor complicit in causing pain to a subset of its citizens just to do what? I am going to post this sentiment on every football recruiting site that I can. Pains me as an OU grad to do so, but what I'm seeing in Oklahoma pains me even more
    Oh, because the state politics in Alabama and South Carolina are much more tolerant?

Right . . .

4. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Jenni Carlson's column:

https://oklahoman.com/article/566467...-consequences?

Let's see if she gets another I'm a man, I'm 40 response.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    It's not the T-shirt that is the issue with me. If I were an OSU fan I would be concerned that my HC is stupid and gullible enough to think that OAN is a legitimate news source. These are the guys that pushed Pizzagate, Seth Rich, a septuagenarian Antifa Provocateur and said BLM was a criminal enterprise.
    Watch this clip from OAN and tell me a young black athlete shouldn't be upset that his coach is watching this BS.

https://twitter.com/cuckcourt/status...54179883003905
    And the Times denied the Holocust (and won awards for it). Your point?

6. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So you're defending Gundy falling for a network that Media Bias/FactCheck rates “questionable based on far-right bias, lack of sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories and propaganda as well as numerous failed fact checks. OAN is not a credible news source.”?

Bold move, Cotton.

Oklahoma's history of racism? I know the race riots are a giant stain, but for goodness sake there was a civil war fought over essentially treating blacks like animals for generations (none of which took place in Oklahoma).
    Open carry is legal in Oklahoma, though blacks might wonder if they will get rushed by the police if they tried it.

What year(s), what awards, and what specific story(ies)?

Oklahoma's history of racism? I know the race riots are a giant stain, but for goodness sake there was a civil war fought over essentially treating blacks like animals for generations (none of which took place in Oklahoma).
    It’s a popular misconception that the Civil War and Oklahoma are somehow distanced and unrelated. If I recall correctly, the very first official use of the word “Oklahoma” to refer to what was then Indian Territory was in the Reconstruction Treaties that the (Southern) Five Civilized Tribes signed with the U.S. government to end their involvement with the Confederate cause and to also free their black slaves.

This is terribly off topic, and I won’t continue, but there were several battles of the Civil War that took place in what would become Oklahoma, and it’s both a fascinating and tragic era in Oklahoma, the South at large, and the country at large.

I always will advocate to members of this forum to read up on Oklahoma history, but it’s especially important in today’s tense racial climate to understand how we got here and not repeat mistakes made by some of our forebears against other of our forebears.

I would encourage ANY prospect for a Football Scholarship at either OU or OSU in 2021 or 2022 to Rethink. The State of Politics in Oklahoma reflects an overall disdain for Black Lives and Black people. A silent Governor complicit in causing pain to a subset of its citizens just to do what? I am going to post this sentiment on every football recruiting site that I can. Pains me as an OU grad to do so, but what I'm seeing in Oklahoma pains me even more
    WOW, Eeyore! You’re now an evangelical Anti-Oklahoman! It seems so worthwhile to keep posting such negative commentary on a site for a state halfway across the country that you hate so much. OKC sucks, Oklahoma Sucks, Oklahoma Schools SUCK! the Governor Sucks. The state government sucks! The city governments sucks! OU Sucks at football because it’s in the Big 12 which sucks so much. The Thunder Sucks! Now OSU sucks too! Am I missing anything? Maybe I missed your reasons for why Tulsa Sucks? In your infinite wisdom, does Edmond suck? What about Lawton, Ardmore or Enid? Can you check to see if there’s anything wrong with Grand Lake or any (or likely ALL) of our State Parks? Surely there’s a comment about our Airport that i missed but if not, what’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with UCO and OCU...did I miss those negative comments too or are they on deck for next week? Maybe I can pool all of your comments together and write “Why Oklahoma and Literally Everything In It SUCKS! For Dummies.” I’ll use the profits to create The DCSooner Center For Oklahoma Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too”

Maybe if we just admit that we suck at everything so much...we can find a way to stop sucking. Please Lord DCSooner...show us the way!!!

Thank You for simply stating Truth. I could start a constructive dialogue with someone like you anytime. Hope still abounds
    That’s only because he agrees with you. You are now easily one of the 2-4 least constructive posters on OKCTalk. Posting the same over the top, excessively negative commentary over and over again does nothing positive for anything and is the opposite of constructive.

I never once suggested Oklahoma was a saint in race relations. Only that we are not alone, and relatively new in our issues as others were trying to make it seem.

And again, as bad as all these laws were and as evil as people were in the 20th century, it pales in comparison to the structural dehumanization that was going on in the 19th century. And when you say pre-statehood in Oklahoma, it's pretty much pre-anyone but Native Americans.
    Your exact question was, "Oklahoma's history of racism?" One of the lessons I always teach my students is never compare historical tragedies. Don't compare the Rwandan genocide against the Tutsi to the Holocaust. One wasn't "worse" than the other. They are both tragedies and injustices. One person's pain doesn't erase another person's pain. There's no constructive purpose to say "Look! Other states had slavery so how bad was Jim Crow, the race massacre, and criminal (in)justice really? As MLK said in Letter from Birmingham Jail (read it if you haven't in a while... it's as true today as it was then), "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Oklahoma has a deep history of racism and I can't imagine the pain generations of Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color have, and continue to, carry with them because the State worked to oppress them.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Your exact question was, "Oklahoma's history of racism?" One of the lessons I always teach my students is never compare historical tragedies. Don't compare the Rwandan genocide against the Tutsi to the Holocaust. One wasn't "worse" than the other. They are both tragedies and injustices. One person's pain doesn't erase another person's pain. There's no constructive purpose to say "Look! Other states had slavery so how bad was Jim Crow, the race massacre, and criminal (in)justice really? As MLK said in Letter from Birmingham Jail (read it if you haven't in a while... it's as true today as it was then), "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Oklahoma has a deep history of racism and I can't imagine the pain generations of Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color have, and continue to, carry with them because the State worked to oppress them.
    Is this not, word for word, exactly what DCSooner was doing in the post Eric was responding to by stating that OK was so awful in race relations that he is going to go out on EVERY college football recruiting message board to let recruits know how bad it is so that they will choose a university in ANOTHER STATE over ours? So Eric can’t refute that ridiculous statement by arguing that other states, especially those in the SEC, are equally as bad, if not worse so screaming that recruits should go to other schools instead doesn’t make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    My comment was in response to someone comparing our racist past and present to the apparent non-existent one in every other state.

Your next lecture to your students should be that context matters.

ok. so since you brought it up, i have to ask... can you show me the articles the times ran that denied it?

severely underplayed it? tried to write articles around it? failed to do their job to inform the public? committed terrible acts by doing so??? yes to all of those. but i never saw one that was a flat out denial

and this is just me being honest, because i don't know.. but did some of these articles actually win awards? or did the Times as a paper just still continue to win awards while these articles were being printed? because there is a difference.

Your next lecture to your students should be that context matters.
    correct... context does matter. and getting back to the subject at hand. the context is that a well payed State Employee who is paid to be in charge of a bunch of mostly young black men, and who is constantly recruiting those same young black men, and thus is never not the OSU football coach when he posts something, is showing how deaf he is to the current national landscape, and i think that proved to just be the final straw for some of these players, who state that there is a consistent and historical (as in the last few years at least) of some of those players feeling as though they were not treated to the same professional level as others on the team, and the basis for that lack of professionalism (in their opinion) is the color of their skin.

so A) if they were not treated to the same level of professionalism, then that is a problem, and B) if A is true, then B certainly shows that this state employee just doesn't care about the current national landscape and that is also problematic and should be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    ok. so since you brought it up, i have to ask... can you show me the articles the times ran that denied it?

severely underplayed it? tried to write articles around it? failed to do their job to inform the public? committed terrible acts by doing so??? yes to all of those. but i never saw one that was a flat out denial

and this is just me being honest, because i don't know.. but did some of these articles actually win awards? or did the Times as a paper just still continue to win awards while these articles were being printed? because there is a difference.
    Google the editor for pete sake people. I'm sorry I used the word deny, implying they were shouting at the moon that it didn't happen. They just didn't report it. All the news that's fit to print.

Even a paper wide award would be ludicrous because their job is to cover ALL of the news, not just the stuff they deem newsworthy. I hope we aren't patting papers on the back for suppressing news that makes the staff uncomfortable.

If OAN shirt is offensive (for I presume completely botching some stories) the for goodness sake don't wear a CNN T.
    How about a "2-13" shirt?

Talk about offensive.

Google the editor for pete sake people. I'm sorry I used the word deny, implying they were shouting at the moon that it didn't happen. They just didn't report it. All the news that's fit to print.

Even a paper wide award would be ludicrous because their job is to cover ALL of the news, not just the stuff they deem newsworthy. I hope we aren't patting papers on the back for suppressing news that makes the staff uncomfortable.
    and it was deplorable that they refused to print a lot of information about the holocaust.

but i don't think it would be ludicrous if during the same time they won awards for reporting about other issues not related to war coverage at all.

you know who did a better job of calling the Times our for this??? the NY Times in November of 2001. when they were approaching their 150th Anniversary... they were very critical of this time period and talked to the Failures that occurred and how it was deplorable. it laid blame for it on the views of the publisher at the time, Arthur Hays Sulzberger. They openly admit this

so this was comparing the Times to OAN... where has OAN once ever admitted wrong doing??? will they when they look back on their time???

you have made a wonderful comparison here... the Times is now self aware of how awful they were during this period... that doesn't make the current OAN any less deplorable in their "reporting". and hopefully, eventually, someday they will come to that realization, like the Times has. But i don't see a lot of people walking around wearing shirts that support the Times specifically during the 1940's...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    you know who did a better job of calling the Times our for this??? the NY Times in November of 2001. when they were approaching their 150th Anniversary... they were very critical of this time period and talked to the Failures that occurred and how it was deplorable. it laid blame for it on the views of the publisher at the time, Arthur Hays Sulzberger. They openly admit this

so this was comparing the Times to OAN... where has OAN once ever admitted wrong doing??? will they when they look back on their time???

you have made a wonderful comparison here... the Times is now self aware of how awful they were during this period... that doesn't make the current OAN any less deplorable in their "reporting". and hopefully, eventually, someday they will come to that realization, like the Times has. But i don't see a lot of people walking around wearing shirts that support the Times specifically during the 1940's...
    Yes I know, which is why it blows my mind when I suggest that the Times botched the reporting (didn't report) the story, when they themselves admit to doing that very thing.

And look if we are using the Times as a gauge, I suppose OAN has about 40 more years or so to fess up to it's transgressions before we smear them.

At least he wasn't photographed wearing one of these shirts....

https://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/115503

Yes I know, which is why it blows my mind when I suggest that the Times botched the reporting (didn't report) the story, when they themselves admit to doing that very thing.

And look if we are using the Times as a gauge, I suppose OAN has about 40 more years or so to fess up to it's transgressions before we smear them.
    You not only suggested, you flat out stated the Times got awards for denying the holocaust. This is pure BS.
    What papers in the USA were reporting this? In fact did the War Department or State Department report it at the time? Did the War Department order the bombing of the rail lines to the death camps? Why not? Was there a possible strategic reason for not publishing? You fail to consider that.
    You failed in your outlandish claims. You, not we, were using the Times as a gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    You not only suggested, you flat out stated the Times got awards for denying the holocaust. This is pure BS.
    What papers in the USA were reporting this? In fact did the War Department or State Department report it at the time? Did the War Department order the bombing of the rail lines to the death camps? Why not? Was there a possible strategic reason for not publishing? You fail to consider that.
    You failed in your outlandish claims. You, not we, were using the Times as a gauge.
    The Times reported that 400,000 Hungarian Jews had already been sent to their deaths and 350,000 more were about to follow them-but the story was hidden, given only four column inches on page 12.

This was in the summer of 1943. The US knew at the latest by 1942.

What all these great arguments have to do with convincing 18 year old black athletes to attend OSU?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That’s only because he agrees with you. You are now easily one of the 2-4 least constructive posters on OKCTalk. Posting the same over the top, excessively negative commentary over and over again does nothing positive for anything and is the opposite of constructive.
    Glad to see my commentary is striking a cord. Have a great day!

Thread Information